Would it be racist if you dress up as a Native American for Halloween?

Asked by: GOP
  • Yes, but maybe not intentionally.

A black man dressing up as a football player is a human dressing as a job. Being native american is not a job. Not only does the costume misuse ceremonial gear, it also generalizes Native Americans as costume-wearing figures of the past. I am indigenous and I think this is stereotyping in a way that is considered passable by society.

• Yes, but maybe not intentionally.

• Yes, but maybe not intentionally.

• No, of course not.

Dressing up as an Indian is racist in no way. Racism is the belief that someone is better than another because of the color of their skin. It is the belief that one race is inherently better than another. Dressing up as an Indian is about as racist as a black man dressing up as a football player.