Would it be racist to ask Canadian guy for bacon as a joke?

Asked by: britkit_francis
  • Depends on your intention.

If you intend to be racist, yes. It all depends on the intention behind the act. It doesn't matter if the person perceives it as racist or not, it's your intention and, if bad, you're the racist. Shame on you.

But then... It's like asking someone from the US for bacon as a joke because 'American' bacon is a joke - burnt and fatty.

• No, Canadian isn't a race

Being Canadian isn't a race , it's a nationality. Therefore, it wouldn't even be racist, however it might appear as stereotypical, sense people could take offense of this. It would be more logical to ask, is it stereotypical to ask Canadian guy for bacon as a joke? So my answer would be no.

• No, Canadian isn't a race

• As a Canadian vegetarian

If an American asked me this question as a joke I would not be offended as it is an absurd notion in the first place. "Canadian Bacon" was not invented in Canada . In fact, there is no such thing as Canadian bacon in Canada. Although we might occasionally roll our eyes, Canadians typically don't become offended over the false notions and stereotypes that Americans have about us.

• Would asking a Canadian guy for Canadian bacon as a joke be considered a racist act?

Would asking a Canadian guy for Canadian bacon as a joke be considered a racism act? I say no because you are not really making fun of him. As a joke, I can't see why. I had asked a friend that once and he just walked away. He and I are still friends but I still wonder, Is it racist?