Would juvenile delinquency decrease if parents parented their children?

Asked by: Fanny
  • Don't Let Your Poor Parenting Get Even Worse

As a teacher for 32 years, I have seen the the crucial importance that parents play in their kids lives, and I have seen how poor parenting fosters a maladjusted child.
    The biggest mistake that parents make trying to raise their kids is that they mistake their role as parents. Too many parents are confused about what a parent's role is. I can tell you emphatically that being a parent does not mean your kids are your pals. Don't think you can be a best friend to your kids. That's not what they need or want, and that's not your job or your purpose.
    Many parents are confused about discipline. They feel that if they discipline their kids, their kids won't like them. Good. You're not supposed to be liked as much as respected and admired for your maturity and fairness. Parents should be the benchmark of maturity.
    Many times, in their attempts to be liked by their kids, parents make bad decisions. Parents need to be strong enough in their resolve to be parents and not friends to their kids that they set the standards and abide by them, and not let the fear of being disliked for a decision which is in the child's best interests.
    Of course, not all mistakes and problems can be blamed on the parents. Kids are people and people come in all varieties. Some will be sweet and kind, others will be willful and have some residual evil in them. This is not that difficult to understand or accept. However, as a parent, it is your task to instill in your child the values that you know are genuinely best for the child and not allow terrible behavior to go unchallenged.
    Being a parent is a difficult job. While trying to figure out your own life, you are also trying to help your child figure out his or hers.
    No parent is perfect. No one makes the perfect decision every time.
    However, parenting is a full time job and you should be trying to make the best decision every time. Tough task.
    I used to tell my students when I had to, that "I will be friendly, but I am not your friend." It worked for me and it established a guideline that clarified the relationship between us.
    Of course, we all want to be adored by our kids and we hate to do anything that will make them angry at us, but you should remember that being a parent is a responsibility that requires superhuman strength and recognition that you guys can be friends later on when all this growing up is more or less done, but that for now, you are the teacher and they are the students and as a parent, you must take that responsibility seriously and never forget that.

• Too many parents don't enforce rules...

Juvenile delinquency seems to be increasing because parents simply don’t care as much as they used to. Parents don’t discipline their children enough, they don’t set enough boundaries for their children at a young age, and parents are making too many excuses on why they don’t have to “parent” their own kids or be held responsible for their kids wrongdoings. Parents need to realize their children will make mistakes and understand what those mistakes are. This will help them grow and learn, as a result.

• Yes, juvenile delinquency might decrease with more active parenting.

It's impossible to say if juvenile delinquency could be done away with altogether with more active parenting. If children spend a lot of time watching television, and if parents use the television as a "babysitter," and if children spend too much time with social media and technology and not developing social behaviors, then it's possible that this could lead to juvenile delinquency. That being said, every child is different, and it's probable that some are more prone to being juvenile delinquents than others.

• Parents parenting would decrease delinquency

Juvenile delinquency would decrease if parents actually parented their children. This is because of the fact that children with a lack of proper parental involvement and children with proper parental involvement have been studied. Children who have had a good amount of wholesome parental involvement have been shown to be far less prone to juvenile delinquency.

• I believe that juvenile delinquency would decrease if parents parented their children correctly.

I believe that juvenile delinquency
    would decrease if parents parented their children correctly. The lack of fathers in the home is a major
    factor in the increase of juvenile delinquency in the last few decades. Children are born knowing nothing. They must be taught everything by parents who
    have experience.

• Better Parenting Means Reduced Delinquency

If parents were better at parenting their children, then juvenile delinquency rates would drop significantly. Too many parents give their children a video game console or computer and let them do as they please. Absentee parents are the single worst thing for a child's development, and such parenting will lead to major problems.

• Yes, juvenile delinquency would decrease if parents parented their children.

Yes, juvenile delinquency would absolutely decrease if parents parented their children. The reason that most juveniles are delinquent is because of bad parenting. Parents don't teach their kids to have respect for others and to have integrity. Parents also spoil their children and try to be their friends and then when they face authority figures in the outside world the children don't respect them and act out with bad behavior.

• Juvenile Delinquincy Would Decline With Parental Involvement

Yes, juvenile delinquincy rates would likely decreace if more parents were to take an active interest in their child's day to day life. Parents are the number one influence on a child's behavior, so a parent becoming more involve with a child in a positive manner would see to it that the child would remain out of delinquent trouble.

• Children need guidence

When I was growing up, my mom would drop me off at school every day to make sure I got to school. There wasn't any place in our house for delinquency. When you have children, you need to be actively involved in making sure they're doing the right thing. Going to school is one of the many right things children should be doing.

GiantSpoonMan says2013-09-18T17:06:16.917
I'm pretty sure parents already parent their children.