Would legalizing and taxing Marijuana help raise money in America significantly?

Asked by: LiberalAgenda
  • Yes It Would

Sure, as would prostitution, mercenaries, cocaine, a euthanasia clinic, etc. Doesn't mean it should be legalized. By the way, I'm only posting so that I can get that dumb "should cheese be a gender option" poll off the top. So...This is the song that never ends, it just goes on and no it doesn't because I'll stop singing now.

• Legalization does help.

Assuming our workers the are nor to high to go to work, the profit made by selling pot would fly through the roof of almost any other product. Do you know how many a kids smoke the stuff?! Imagine if it was legal, how many purchases would be made. While it would lead to money for USA, it would not have a positive impact until scientists are united on what pot does to you.

• Don't support the legalization but theoretically it would help.

Assuming our workers are nor to high to go to work, the profit made by selling pot would fly through the roof of almost any other product. Do you know how many kids smoke the stuff?! Imagine if it was legal, how many purchases would be made. While it would lead to money for USA, it would not have a positive impact until scientists are united on what pot does to you.

• Maybe, but doesn't seem likely. Possibly a near wash.

I'm not sure what the 'raising money' means, but laws concerning any economic activity only help the U.S. economically if they either (1) increase productivity (more is produced for the same or less quantity of labor and/or capital), or (2) increase the quantity of resources put to productive work, or (3) substitute domestic production for foreign-produced goods and services. Pretty obvious, I think, though I hardly ever see people seeming to get it.

So, who knows the ultimate economic impact. Probably, on net, not going to increase productivity (one could speculate on some pluses and some minuses). Probably not going to put more people or capital to work. Might substitute some domestic production for foreign.