Would Margaret Cho have experienced even greater success had she not been a person of ethnicity outside that of the narrow range of acceptable ethnic backgrounds in rural America?

• We listen to whites

Yes, I think that if she had been a full white woman, then the people in rural America would have paid more attention, since when they first seen her and seen that she was of a different race they would have automatically toned her out and not cared what she said.

• no, Cho is a certain type of comedian

Margaret Cho's successful comedian career is greatly due to who she is. Which is not something only having to due with her ethniticity but the style of comedy she uses which is not appealing to rural America no matter what her ethniticity is. It's her personality and character that they would find unappealing

• I Doubt It

I do not believe Margaret Cho would have experienced great success has she not been a person of ethnicity outside that of the narrow range of acceptable ethnic backgrounds in rural America. Personally, I don't think rural America has much of an influence in the entertainment business at all. Secondly, while she has talent, their are many that are simply better and I think that is the main determing factor in her success.

• Cho's comedy material doesn't attract rural Americans.

Margaret Cho would not have experienced greater success had she not been a person of ethnicity outside that of the narrow range of acceptable ethnic backgrounds in rural America. Cho does not perform the comedy style that rural Americans go for. She would have had to have a completely different style of comedy and material to attract those people. Her ethnicity is an invalid issue in this case.

• Margeret Cho is funny because she is Margaret Cho

If you remove Margeret Cho's ethnicity and all the experiences that has brought her from her act, she is left with maybe 30% of her material. Remove the fact that she is gay, and that is another 20%. She would not have had any success if she did not have these valuable assets in her comedic repertoire.