Would passengers trust a fully automated pilotless aircraft?

• Bbc gcse bitesized

No, passengers would not ever trust a fully automated pilotless aircraft, because there is always the human element. The human element needs to be able to respond in the event of a crisis, such as when Sully Sullenberger landed that plane in the middle of the Hudson River. There has to be someone to responTHRUSTRATION PENETRATION BUILD A BEAR TODAY

• Yes. It is safe.

I heard no accident of a pilotless plane but i heard a lot from piloted plane. Just recently, the mh370 crashed because of the pilot. Imagine if there were pilots, the plane would not crashed. Also, hijacking is avoided as hijackers can no longer accomplish their plans because they cannot direct a pilot to do what ever they want.

• Not a chance.....

Not a chance in h... I would get on a pilotless plane without someone capable of holding onto the wheel in an emergency. What if you loose the communications link between the remote pilot and the aircraft? I'm sure someone will come up with an excuse why it will work and its safe. Except its not going to be me as the guinea pig. The airline CEOs and leadership ride those pilotless planes for a few years. If they survive then maybe I may consider it. When you board the airplane, make sure the cockpit door is open and there is a pilot in his seat before you sit in yours!

• The human element.

No, passengers would not ever trust a fully automated pilotless aircraft, because there is always the human element. The human element needs to be able to respond in the event of a crisis, such as when Sully Sullenberger landed that plane in the middle of the Hudson River. There has to be someone to respond.

• I don't see this ever happening.

No, I do not think passengers will ever trust a fully automated pilotless aircraft. Aviation records are full of assorted accidents, near misses, collisions and crashes. Almost everyone who steps onto a plane has some level of apprehension. People feel safer if there is a trained human in the cockpit to make decisions.

• No, not for hundreds of years.

Of course with the loss of the Malaysian airplane, we are now questioning the wisdom of having human pilots with all their many possible mixed motives, but I think we still would trust a human being at the helm of a plane sooner that we would trust a fully automated aircraft without any pilot at all.

• Need human oversight

I think people would partially trust an automatic pilotless aircraft, but it would need some human oversight. What happens if there's a mechanical failure and no one to call for help? A machine can only follow so many pre-programmed instructions, and sometimes if there's a problem, a person can "McGuyver" a quick fix in a way that machines can't.