Would people be happier if they weren't aware of the concept of 'happiness?'

Asked by: MasturDbtor
  • "Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened."

Happiness and being happy are not concepts at all. They are ones' feelings that are from within. It depends on the way people think about it. It mainly is because of a very sensitive organ (both physically and mentally), the HEART. There is a saying by Dr.Seuss...
    "Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened."
    This actually has a very great meaning and it'll work in everyone's life. Whatever happens, happens only for our good. For instance, you are cheated by someone whom you know and you trust very well. Don't feel bad, don't get upset at it. Instead, just take it positively, say to yourself, "that's okay, I know about his/her character at least now," and be happy. Just "think before you leap" the next time. BE HAPPY ALWAYS... After all this is our only life... Don't take anything as a burden, feel it to be a responsibility... Then you'll feel better.

• Perhaps they would be

Yes, I believe I have to agree that people would be happier if they weren't aware of the concept of 'happiness.' I think if we let just people be and exist, then they would be happier and if they weren't bombarded with depression pill commercials, then they would probably be much happier people.

• Words can distort meanings

Once we hear "happiness" our brains will associate that with anything our environment relates to that word including the actual emotion but not limited to it. So sometimes we wind up realizing what we thought made us happy was never making us happy afterall. Had we not had the concept and been thinking too hard about how to be happy we would've just naturally done what would've really made ourselves happy.
    It also let's us think things like "Have I had enough happiness in my life? In absolute terms? Compared to other people in the world? Compared to my friends?" and "Had I just done X, Y, and Z differently I would've had a happier time now I'm behind in my quality of life, how will I catch up?"
    The best way to be happy is to treat happiness like it's nothing. Don't ask yourself if you are happy or how to be happier and you will be happier. Of course reading this we're still using the concept but in a way that minimizes the distortion. Unfortunately we can't put pandora back in its box.

• Self-negating proposition, corollary

Happiness is an emotional state of mind. To be unaware of the concept of happiness implies also being unaware of the other emotions, since they are all relative to each other. Happiness is the opposite of sadness. If people weren't aware of their emotions, they would simply be automatons, like computers, unaware of the concepts of self, space and time. To say that people would be happier if they were unaware of happiness implies that computers are happy. Self-awareness is the basis for all emotions, not just happiness. If it were true that people would be happier if they were unaware of the concept of happiness implies the corollary that people would be sadder if they were unaware of the concept of sadness. It is a self-negating proposition. You can't be happier and sadder at the same time.

• No, people would not be happier if they didn't know what was happiness.

The only way people would be unaware of the concept of "happiness" is if they never experienced it in their lifetime. Simple logic will let you understand that if you have never been happy in your life, you can't be happier. Knowing the concept of happiness gives people somethin to striver for.

• No, people would not be happier if they weren't aware of the concept of 'happiness.'

I don't think that the concept of happiness has any effect on how happy people are. The things that cause sadness and stress are outside of the meaning of happiness, and they are the reason (for the most part) that people would label themselves as unhappy. I think that even if we didn't have a word for happiness, we would still feel that emotion, and people would still feel it.