Would school corporal punishment promote well-disciplined students?

• Children must learn that there is punishment for breaking rules. Would you rather have your children learn about punishment in prison?

I went to Catholic school at a time when they used corporal punishment. I was a better student and more focused on my studies. I left this system in 4th grade and it was as if I was unleashed to do
    whatever I wanted. My grades suffered. I would say the saying, 'Spare the rod, spoil the child' has some merit.

• This should be a no brainer

Corporal punishment has nothing to do with violence. The lack of it however, is part of the reason why there is a lot of violence. We've now grown into a society where it is okay to be rude and disrespectful. Where do we draw the line? Some kids grow up not needing to be flogged but some absolutely need it. If it isn't done at home and isn't allowed in school, then what is the purpose of the school if not glorified baby sitting?

• the use of corporal punishment does not require violence.

the teacheronly disciplines children if their behavior is out of hand and the purpose would be to humiliate them in front of their peers not to harm them. most kids see spankings as a childish form of punishment so it will make them embarrased because no kid these days wants to be called a little kid or look like a fool in front of his friends.
    Also the lack of corporal punishment in the fourties led to the rebelion of the sixties. during the eras that spankings were in school, there were records of any rebellion among the youth.

• Im a seventeen year old girl who supports spanking

I believe spanking should come back to ALL schools, I would rather have my bum on fire and continue to learn. THis is the only effective way because you can feel it. I think a good over the knee bare bottom spanking is the only way. This should be done by teacher and the principal with a paddle, slipper or hairbrush. Bare bum it the only way.
    I feel students these days get in trouble on purpose so they can be in detention or suspended at home doing nothing. Spanking lasts a lot longer because it hurts. I feel that I behave best after a spanking.
    I also understand that parents should give the school permission with a signed letter to spank. I think I would tell my mum and dad to sign this.

• Every action should have a reaction

According to the severity of the situation and the bad action the student has taken the principal should take the right action accordingly, be it just scolding or even paddling as long as the child is not physically injured badly, a broken arm for example would be an exaggeration for a punishment! But something as serious as bullying other students and thus rendering them from gaining knowledge with an open mind and a confident personality should be faced with corporal punishment. The consideration for one person without the others he has harmed would be INJUSTICE.

• Thanking all my teachers !!

I have seen children becoming spoiled, arrogant, drug abusers because they were never spanked.
    From Bible... Thou shall beat him with the rod, shall deliver his soul from hell.
    Children are like soft clay, a teacher by his/her harsh words and spanking makes them beautiful pieces of art.
    Punish em or let em get spoiled.

• If the law needs it, the student needs it

If criminals are punished for crimes then students must also understand that there are penalties for their actions. Its the fear that strikes in the mind and makes them aware of their wrong. A good scolding can bring shivers and shake off bad nature, better than a moral lecture on what's right.

• Incarceration or Corporal punishment?

If you think about it, if a child deserves to receive corporal punishment then he or she must have done something to truly deserve it, did they not? Now, do you think the child would rather deal with the short-term physical pain for the time being or would the child like to be sent to juvenile hall and have long-term affects dealing with mental, emotional, or even physical problems while in the juvenile hall? It's better to just get the discipline out of the way and dealt with at the source of the problem.

• Concerned about bullying?

Due to there being suicidal rates and whatnot - Would you not think that those being bullied would benefit from corporal punishment more? Those that bully them would have to deal with the consequences and deal with physical punishment as they are doing to those that bully them. After these steps have been taking to discipline the bully, if there are still problems, the principle may just have to take bigger steps and either A) Suspend the child for the misbehavior B) Report it to the parents or even C) Expel the student to show that bullying truly is not the right choice and that corporal punishment will be given to any of those that bully and are found or reported of doing so.

• Corporal Punishment? Definitely!

I notice some people are worried about overuse of corporal punishment. Well, let look at an actual school and the numbers reported to the US department of education. McDowell schools rank number 3 in paddling. "During the 2010 to 2011 school year, corporal punishment was used a total of 70 times while supervising over 6,358 students for 180 instructional days," stated Trollinger. "As a superintendent, I do not feel that corporal punishment is overused as a discipline alternative in our school system."
    Retrieved from http://www.Corpun.Com/12archive/uss01202.Htm#23910

Second, many US public schools, present day, implement various forms of dealing with unruly behavior. For example multiple warnings, timeouts, notes home to parents, refocusing, discipling...Paddling is reserved for severe unruliness. (ex: swearing at your teacher and refusing to follow the rules or being out of control by throwing chairs, or books...) which is not stopped after a warning or other methods. This does not include children or teens who have been diagnosed with disorders such as ODD, ADHD , or any medical or mental handicap which is documented or even assumed to be a possibility. These disorders fall under a totally different category of protection.

US public schools follow strict procedures for corporal punishment. The punishment must be administered by a designated official (principal, administrator) and in the presence of a witness (most require the parent, others can be another school official). Parents in public schools are normally required to sign a form giving consent or not regarding corporal punishment.

When corporal punishment is implemented, it is of the upmost importance that the students civil liberties are not violated.
    As defined by the UN Committee on the Rights of the Child as:
    "any punishment in which physical force is used and intended to cause some degree of pain or discomfort, however light."
    http://en.Wikipedia.Org/wiki/Corporal_punishment#cite_note-1

The Juvenile Court Statistics defines delinquency offenses as acts committed by juveniles that, if committed by an adult, could result in criminal prosecution. The incidence of juvenile crimes from 1985 to 2009 have increased drastically (delinquency cases increased nearly 300% between 1960 and 2009).
    Http://www.Ojjdp.Gov/pubs/239114.Pdf

According to the CDC’s School Associated Violent Death Study, between 1% and 2% of all homicides among school-age children happen on school grounds or on the way to and from school or during a school sponsored event. So the vast majority of students will never experience lethal violence at school.
    Http://www.Cdc.Gov/violenceprevention/youthviolence/schoolviolence/data_stats.Html
    However, the statistics for incidence of non-hommicidal deaths are not as sunny.

The National Center for Education Statistics Preliminary data show that there were 33 school-associated violent deaths1 from July 1, 2009, through June 30, 2010. In 2010, among students ages 12–18, there were about 828,000 nonfatal victimizations at school, which include 470,000 victims of theft and 359,000 victims of violence (simple assault and serious violence). In 2009–10, about 74 percent of public schools recorded one or more violent incidents of crime, 16 percent recorded one or more serious violent incidents, and 44 percent recorded one or more thefts.
    Http://nces.Ed.Gov/programs/crimeindicators/crimeindicators2011/key.Asp

• Don't bring back.

If they bring it back. I will not be attending school again. I think that it sets the wrong idea for young people and they will become influential and they may use it outside and inside of school to other people. Do not bring it back, I get beat at home and this will just add to the pain.

• No because many teachers are not in control of their temper.

I have a very bad temper teacher if corporal punishment was never legalized, within the few weeks, a huge headline will appear on the newspaper as in "TEACHER KILLS STUDENT" or "TEACHER PARALYZED STUDENT" or "TEACHER JABS STUDENT'S EYE" or "TEACHER BREAKS STUDENT BONES" or "TEACHER HTS FEMALE STUDENT'S BREAST."

Things can go out of hand and sometimes, it cost a life/disability and can traumatized the student.

• Corporal punishment should not be allowed in any schools due to low self-esteem, suicidal thoughts, bullying, loneliness and depression.

Students already get bullied enough at school because of the way they are; in other words, some students already have low self - esteem. In the news and on the Internet, there have been true stories of students being bullied and committing suicide. If corporal punishment was allowed in schools all over the universe, then there would be a massive increase of child abuse. To explain, a fact is that when students/children are being abused at young ages, approximately 6-18, (corporal punishment) it is most likely that they will abuse their child and be thinking it's okay. Even though the parents that had been abused and abuse their child have felt the pain, they think it is okay because that is what they had learned in their past and childhood. This is unacceptable. It's unacceptable because kids start to get an idea that it's okay to hit/beat other people in their lives. For instance, an 8-year-old kid who was acting irresponsibly got corporal punishment, and then when school ends, they start to beat up an innocent kid to bring the anger out of what had happened at school. Just for clarification, the whole point of corporal punishment is that students do not misbehave and act mature/responsible, right? However, the students are taking out their anger out on someone else because they just had a corporal punishment, what's the point of the corporal punishment then? To explain, the student/child has not learned a thing about responsibility even after they had a corporal punishment. Corporal punishment can lead to loneliness, for instance, when students get the punishment in class and they're surrounded by their classmates. Their classmates might be embarrassed to even come near them because they are getting punishments a lot. Even though the students might have a kind heart and seem nice it won't matter because of those punishments they are getting. They will start to seem like the bad girl/boy type who always gets into trouble. To continue on, from corporal punishment and loneliness, there is depression. Its a known fact that many people from around the world are lonely due to having no one near them. This can lead to depression, which can lead to suicidal thoughts. I believe that in school, corporal punishments do not promote well-disciplined students.

• No, because corporal punishment would only increase violence.

Corporal punishment in school would not promote well-disciplined students, but only promote a culture where violence is accepted and encouraged. Students educated in this manner would grow up to be adults who used violence as a normal day-to-day technique. The family unit would suffer, and the population as a whole would become more dangerous.

Posted by: TedieDelight
  • People don't know what the expression Spare the Rod, Spoil the Child means.

Spare the Rod, Spoil the Child is not a cause and effect...... But a command. The Bible, in my interpretation and many others, is commanding you not to hit your child but to spoil them with love, understanding, and compassion like God does to all his children. Hitting students would disobey the Bible, thus offending the Christian family.

• Corporal punishment should be banned.

A child is misbehaving in class. The teacher comes and gives a spanking or two. There are two ways of how the child could react. If he/she is sensible enough they would not want to lose respect and behave well. If he/she is adamant he/she can also think the teacher does not like him/her. So the child will want to get a bad name for the teacher will be quite unbearable.

• Physical Punishment leads to physical violence

Fear or love, these are the 2 ways to discipline children, according to society. YOU! You were talking, I don’t care, come here.. Where’s my cane? This one way, to strike fear in to the heart and soul of a child. The other is to be loving and kind to a child and make them understand what is right and wrong. Now corporal punishment is, and has been, the legalization of beating a child to your heart’s content.

• It provokes violence, and cowardness.Since children are more likely to focus on miserable experiences because they expected fairness, they could even attempt suicide.

Treating others the way you would like to be treated is the golden rule. A spanked child will likely lose respect to the abuser by no longer giving hugs, nor saying good morning or good night. To teach, they must be talked to. The anger comes from satan, since he is already miserable, he wants us to be like him by getting us mad and pursuing us to think it's okay to hit and therefore spread misery to the child. If the child doesn't want to listen, it takes some steps of certain friendly actions to pursuing them to listen, and then they can be talked to clearly and learn from their mistake.

• Employees should not have a right to hit kids other than their own.

If it is not your child you do not have the authority to hit the child. Think, how would you take it if a worker (just a random person) hit your child and you had no say in the choice. Would you be okay with this action of the worker?

• Well disciplined students do not have to be punished in schools.

A lot of it depends on the parents. If they discipline their children well and bring them up as respectful young children, it will make a huge difference in respecting teachers at schools. A lot of your personality comes from how you were treated and how you were brought up as a child. So if parents bring their children up as respectful kids it will stick with them their whole life and they will be respectful to almost anyone they come in contact with.

Quan says2013-06-17T03:37:10.600
It's a little disturbing how for some discipline is synonymous with violence. Likely the same crowd that claims people can't be moral without the threat of eternal damnation. It's quite telling.