• Scotland should pay

It is okay for this separation to occur, but debts should be paid. There has been talk of large payback amounts and unfair interest rates. The debts should be paid at reasonable rates. The loan rates should not be too high. They should be able to pay their debts justly.

• Maybe it could

Truly we won't know until everything is over with. I am sure they have thought everything through and are going to make the best decision for their citizens and their well being. As long as they have a solid game plan , i'm sure everything will work out just fine for them.

• It shouldn't the UK had better stick to that

I hope, if they do separate, they do pay back the 300 billion, some HOW and realistically, I hope the UK are at least reasonable with interest, no need to get greedy.

But overall, SCOTLAND should not get away with anything if they want to have "independence" they should feel the burden like every other country.

I like how the UK set aside monies for their debts, a lot of countries don't bother.. I'm hoping the UK stick to their guns and make them pay it.

• No, separation would not relieve them of their debts.

If Scotland separated, they would still have debts. Although different parts of Scotland's government disagree about how to get out of their debt, splitting will probably just aggravate the issue more on both sides. Splitting would limit the economy from spanning across the entire country, which can be extremely detrimental.

• It would only work temporarily

Many Scots seem to believe that an independent Scotland would be free of debt - and it's possible they would be, in the short term. Unfortunately they'd also be free of the subsidies they've received from the rest of the UK, which outweigh any Scottish asset. With their commitment to welfare and education spending, this would quickly result in Scotland accruing far larger debts than their share of the current UK debt.