Would sexuality be less prominent in produced media and TV media coverage were it not for the efforts of educators such as Ruth Westheimer?

• Yes, I think so.

I remember being a young child and laughing every time I would see her on TV. The thought of a little old lady talking so frankly about sexuality was strange at the time. What she was doing however, was paving the way for sexuality to be talked about by everyone in a much freer manner. People thought if someone like her could do it, then they could too and they shouldn't feel any shame about it either.

• It was headed that way

I do not think that Ruth Westheimer really caused the prominence of sexuality on media and television, I think that things would be heading that way anway. Media and TV have been sexualizing all aspects of their content for a long time. You really can't have it any more prominent than now.

• If not Dr. Ruth then someone else.

Sexuality would not be less prominent in produced media and TV media coverage were it not for the efforts of educators such as Ruth Westheimer. Sexuality is simply a facet of being human. The doctor got her publicity in the media because of this. If it weren't her, another person would have taken her place in the sex-talk arena.

• Her fame was actually a product of increased media coverage of sexuality, not the other way around.

We had lots of sexuality in media and television coverage before Dr. Ruth Westheimer became a pop culture sensation in the mid 1980s. What we didn't have, however, was a lot of education regarding sex and our sexuality before she came along. To blame her for it being prominent is foolish and wrong.

• Has To Do With LGBT Movement

I do not believe sexuality would be less prominent in produced media and TV media coverage even if Ruth Westheimer were not championing the effort. I believe this has become the case because of the LGBT movement, which is not centered around anyone person, but it is more a developed way of thinking that has emerged among large parts of the world population.