Would teaching kids about money management in schools lower the population of people with credit issues in the future?

• 7887o i i

8o78 hjr rt trhrthrthtr trh trh i i i i i i i i i i i ii i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i ii i i i i i i i i i i ii i i ii

• 7887o i i

• Money is tight as is and not knowing how to spend it is worse.

Today in most places money is tight. This is especially true in most public schools where the students come from poorer families. Learning to spend your money and budget and do taxes is more important than making them memorize endless lists of times, dates, and names in all classes. Geography is a great example, while it is important it is not necessary to learn the capitals of all the European countries and the Middle Eastern area. These classes should be optional for people who know if they are going to major in those classes, whereas financial planning is something everyone will need.

• Financial harm reduction works.

Yes, we need to start giving our children in school lessons about financial management. It's a very practical skill that one needs to use on a daily basis as an adult, whether for personal finances or in running a business. The end result would be a less tumultuous credit environment that would benefit bankers and consumers alike.

• I'm living proof (not the good kind)

Never had anyone in school or my life teach me about good credit, paying bills or what would happen if I didn't pay any bills. My parents actually messed up my credit before I moved out using it for their own purposes (my SSN, etc) which of course isn't legal but I was just a kid. Fortunately some law made some of that go away after I turned 18.. Don't get me wrong I knew it was wrong to not pay bills on time and Ive always been short on cash but now down the road, i have kids, and really want a house and just now finding out it will be 7 years before any bank will touch me at all. If my parents or school would of taught me what I had to look up on the internet and learn myself, when I was a kid, I would have taken things A LOT more seriously when it came to money. Always wondered why my one roommate was soo stingy... Now I know why,

• I believe that teaching kids about money management in schools would help lower credit issues in the future, because it is a crucial skill to have.

Unfortunately, many, if not most, schools ignore this very practical aspect of learning. Money management is a crucial skill that is often pushed onto parents who either do not realize the importance, or do not have much luck attempting to teach willful and headstrong teenagers these skills. Ultimately, many students go off to college or enter the workforce, without these basic skills.

Posted by: BoorishKraig93
  • Early education about money management would create an understanding within kids about saving and spending that would produce good habits in their futures.

Since money management so profoundly effects everyone's life, it is essential to begin instilling proper understanding and habits in a person at an early age. Early education will reduce the risk of poor decisions made by the under-informed.

Posted by: JuvenileBlair
  • I believe that teaching kids about money management from an early age would help them make better choices as adults, and prevent them from participating in the single worst financial practice ever known: buying on credit.

The media brainwashes us all into thinking that our lives are not satisfying, glamorous or happy, if we don't have the latest and greatest material things available. And, credit card companies and banks allow us to have these things instantaneously, without "earning" them with the discipline of saving up cash. Because of credit, our country, and nearly every citizen in it, is in way over their heads with no way out. To prevent future generations from this life-ruining trap, schools and parents need to teach their children about money management and the benefits and rewards of paying cash and saving for the future.

Posted by: N3vinFace
  • I believe that teaching kids about money management younger will encourage responsibility and demystify the idea of money and credit.

Exposing school age kids to the principles of money management will teach them of the consequences of spending money before they reach an age where where the consequences can be truly problematic. If a child is taught the benefits of saving, rather then using credit, then they are more likely to save. Money can be a strange concept, and teaching children to us it properly is a vital part of educating. If more people were exposed earlier to the practices of credit, they would have less problems later.

Posted by: HumdrumMilo83
  • The more education that we give our children on financial issues, the better prepared they will be to manage them in the future.

If we want our children to understand mathematics we have them take a math class. If we want our children to understand biology we have them take a class about biology. Similarly, if we want our children to understand personal finances they need to be taught. While this can be taught in the home it usually isn't, and society as a whole would benefit from more schooling on personal finance management, but children are especially more equipped to learn it well in school age years.

Posted by: MariaR
  • It doesn't help.

As a child my experience is that even thought I am told something does not mean I will do it. Boring things such as maths and money is not going to be remembered. Yes teaching these skills is positive but does it really help us in the future? No, it doesn't.

• I do not think that teaching kids about money management in schools will allow for a lower percentage of people with credit issues in the future.

Simply because one is taught to do something, does not mean that they will put it into action. Teaching children in schools about money management is a positive action, but it will have absolutely no effect if those students choose not to remember or use what they have learned in their own money management as adults. It has been my experience as a teacher that students will only remember and put into action what they choose to, and just learning about such ideas is not enough to secure a successful plan of action.

Posted by: KennedyB
  • Teaching money management in schools is not likely to lower the population of people with credit issues in the future.

Often times the consequences of one's actions don't have too much of an effect on an individual's actions. People know eating junk food is bad for them. The media is full of examples of why being overweight is dangerous and yet our population continues to grow larger.

There are external issues that help push people into credit problems. A few major causes of credit problems are the economy, loss of jobs, illness in the family or divorce. There is little education can do to prevent these things from happening.

Posted by: R4tAmery