Would the legalization and taxation of drugs be a boon to society?

• Balance The Budget

I support the use of ANY drug as long as the person is on their own property and not harming others, some drugs could be used anywhere like marijuana, but to get to the point: Legalization will mean it is no longer a crime, if it is no longer a crime then we will have less criminals, less criminals means less people in jail, less people in jail means less tax money spent on the private prison corporations which are the only entities in our way to legalize drugs because they will lobby to the death in order for their prisons to make money. And if we're going off of a religious/moral standpoint, I am not of the Judeo-Christian religions but God made everything on Earth for his creations (except the tree of knowledge) so if marijuana is a plant, that should be FAR more legal than alcohol which is a man-made creation, not a God-made one, other examples for this argument include peyote, hallucinogenic mushrooms, and other psychedelic plants.

• End the violence

The goverment would have billions in revenue to build an education system that works. The us goverment has an education rating less than that of north korea. That is a disgrace in the second richest country in the world. Besides that we could in invest in clean energy programs that could stop global warming.

• I am hiv postive

Being an HIV Positive patient, the use of Marijuana assist with keeping my appetite good as well as assisting with me maintaining my weight. I don't get out of wack and is still able to complete several tasks required of me on the computer. This also keep me focused and level headed at all times.

• It would save tons of tax dollars and take away the key tool in imprisoning communities of minorities.

It would save tons of tax dollars and take away the key tool in imprisoning communities of minorities. Without the war on drugs and the industrial prison complex costing us billions or trillions of dollars there could be tons of money available for drug treatment. The war on drugs has been a tool (maybe not on purpose) that has contributed to keeping marginalized communities marginalized. Legalizing drugs and taxing them would help bring the prison population down and eliminate the ugly appeal to be a drug dealer that exists in poorer communities. With all the money made and saved from legalizing drugs we could address any drug problem in our country with treatment and a war on poverty.

• Legalization is on step

Freedom of investigating the marvels of life should not be obligated to any kind of low .Freedom of investigating the marvels of life should not be obligated to any kind of low .Freedom of investigating the marvels of life should not be obligated to any kind of low .Freedom of investigating the marvels of life should not be obligated to any kind of low .Freedom of investigating the marvels of life should not be obligated to any kind of low .Freedom of investigating the marvels of life should not be obligated to any kind of low .

• Billion dollar industry

I don't do drugs but the legalization of all drugs would benefit society... The people who do drugs--do it even though it is illegal. So legalizing drugs would be a good decision. Illegal drugs cause violence and murder between cartels/gangs. Billions of dollars come from drugs, and it can create more jobs, bigger army, more police, bigger schools...Etc

• it would save tons of tax dollars and take away the key tool in imprisoning communities of minorities.

Without the war on drugs and the industrial prison complex costing us billions or trillions of dollars there could be tons of money available for drug treatment. The war on drugs has been a tool (maybe not on purpose) that has contributed to keeping marginalized communities marginalized. Legalizing drugs and taxing them would help bring the prison population down and eliminate the ugly appeal to be a drug dealer that exists in poorer communities. With all the money made and saved from legalizing drugs we could address any drug problem in our country with treatment and a war on poverty.

• The health system is already paying for their effects.

1) Ethically- People should be able to do with their bodies whatever they would like, so long as it does not damage society or those around them.
    2) Financially- The healthcare system already pays enough to treat people who suffer the ill effects of illegal drugs, why should that money not be recouped through tax.
    3) Sanctioning- Splitting drugs into illegal and legal legitimises smoking, drinking and other bad health behaviours.
    4) Social- The binge culture of alcohol does not translate to many drugs, if the people who were binge drinking and fighting in the streets were instead smoking pot then we might see less violence.

• Legalize all drugs and place a tax on them

Drugs are out there and people upon people do them day in and day out. There doing them right now. Are they legal? No. As stated by GrannyBee above, his whole statement is valid. I haven't studied this but I'm willing to bet a lot, that if drugs were legal crime rate would go down. This would be because there not hiding them and not going to do anything to not get caught. Its hard to explain in text. I am not a drug user but if I was standing in front of you I promise I that I would have a better argument to legalize them rater then to not and every line of defense you have I would have a better answer for it to be legal.

• Legalize and Tax, nothing will change

If you legalized and taxed drugs the country could lose its national debt. Some people say that its going to cause violence and increase the crime rate but I don't know if you've ever been outside of your house because people get drugs at will everywhere. Its not hard to obtain any drug and if they're going to be out there the government might as well make a profit.

• I disagree that the legalization and taxation of drugs would be a boon, or benefit to society, since drug use can influence the crime rate.

The legalization and taxation of drugs would definitely not benefit a society. First of all, there are drugs (such as cocaine) that are illegal for a very good reason. For example, crack/cocaine can make a person very irritable and violent - even violent enough to commit murder. Taxing drugs will not do a lot of good since they are addicting and drug users will purchase them anyway. In general, I strongly believe that drugs should be prescribed by a doctor of physician to be considered legal.

Posted by: echagina
  • Yes, if drugs enter the mainstream world of taxation and business then we will have fewer criminals and less expense taking care of the criminals.

Because drug use is illegal, prisons are brimming with people with drug convictions. This is very expensive for a society in more ways than one. The US has the highest percentage of its population incarcerated when compared to other countries of the world. This damages families and communities. If drugs were legal and the sale of them in the hands of the government and business then we wouldn't have nearly the number of criminals involved in the drug trade. Taxes gained from sales would also benefit society. I don't think there would be a huge increase in users either.

Posted by: 54IInferno
  • No This idea should be discarded as impossible and undesirable.

Prohibitionists frequently argue that marijuana legalization would not be a panacea for the United States' drug problems. In addition, problems arising from illicit trafficking in cocaine, heroin, PCP, methamphetamine, and other drugs might still occur, as would problems arising from simple use of marijuana.

Posted by: JKlein
  • Yes it would but

It would be in the same way that forcibly prostituting 11 year old would. There would most certainly be a huge demand and thus a huge win fall for the gov't treasury. But I most certainly do not want to live in a nation that would openly profit from other peoples misery. Do you? It also depends on the drug we're talking about. I would ban cigs and legalize pot in a second. But if we're talking crack umm, not so much.

• Why do you think that its okay??

Why do you think its okay to make this change? I mean if people that do drugs are killing for what they want now, if we tax it and make prices of it go up, there is going to be a lot more people killed. Stores that would sell drugs would be in danger. Because of this debate. If they kill now what makes you think that they wont kill someone behind a counter at some store??? Stop thinking of just users in jail and on the streets a lot of people would be in danger, and all we care about is the government?? Really its going to be bad with or with out this law. Instill we think of a better way I think keeping drugs of the street and out of peoples homes is a good thing.