Would the world be better off if everyone spoke the same language?

Asked by: Z-man
  • Of Course it Would.

This is coming from someone that was raised speaking two languages. We would be much better off if people had more in common. There is obvious resentment between humans based off of differences. People argue that we would lose culture, but culture isn't based on language alone. People would still have different lifestyles and histories. The U.S.A. and England speak the same language, does that mean we practice the same culture? No one would say that Americans and English people are the same, besides the words they use to communicate (which by the way sound totally different between the two).

When I was growing up, I didn't even know what my race meant or why other people have different skin color. I'm Korean American so there were oddly (at the time) specific things being said to me. Then the discrimination got to the point where it started affecting me so I had to talk to my mom about it and from there I learned about "race".

Racism is a social issue. Not a genetic one. Even though we have many physical and cultural differences across the world, our DNA only differs about 0.0001% amongst every person.

What I'm saying is differences between people aren't predisposed. We are taught that stuff. It's not in our nature to assume someone's character by looking at them. We are naturally inclined to become acquainted with someone in order to learn who they are. That changes once race becomes relevant. You know who someone is because of their skin. Even in America where every race is here. It still happens despite what some people may think.

Identity would be great. I'd love it if I didn't see "no Asians" on dating profiles online. That's just me. Maybe some of you like it or are just oblivious to others that don't always get the best assumptions made about them.

There have been many times when someone asks where I'm from and when I say Skokie, IL they said "no, where are you really from?" Am I being called a liar or what? I've heard "wow your English is very good!" many times as well. Usually by someone that doesn't speak English as "good" as me. I guess that's a regular compliment. Uh thanks?

It would make life a lot easier as well. There would be no "language barrier". So things wouldn't get misconstrued as they often do between different speaking people. We'd get things done faster, more efficiently, and with more comradery. You'd be able to assimilate with people from other nations easily instead of trying to learn their entire language. Which, in my opinion, is too excessive for the times I've traveled outside the country. There wouldn't be any negative thoughts when someone is saying something you don't understand. Which is thought to be rude, because of that.

That "privilege" wouldn't be gone. If you want to talk bad about someone present in another language, just do it the way same speakers do, text it.

Posted by: Esco
  • Yes, the world would be better off.

But that doesn't always mean, for sure, it would be 100% better off. There are disadvantages, of course, but in a world of the Internet and globalisation, having 1 language would instantly see benefits. We can save the loss of culture and find ways to preserve them somehow. However, I would prefer a world where we all understand 1 language but also speak different ones.

• It would be easier

Obviously if we spoke the same language things would be easier. Everything would go much more smoothly in the world. Diversity in communication does nothing but slow down progress. Being able to easily convey information and knowledge to one another through the use of speech is a huge advantage that humans enjoy, and have enjoyed, for thousands of years. Two people who speak the same language will cooperate much better than two people who speak different languages. If the human species were given the option to completely forget their old languages in favor of all instantly knowing how to speak a common language there would literally be no reason to pick the old system.

• Yes it would

If we spoke one language integration between cultures would be smooth, travel would be more comfortable, we would be able to help one another easier and in the ideal world we wouldn't have those certain accents that are a chore to understand. For those who say no on the grounds of intellectual stimulation, you really mean to tell me you can think of nothing else stimulating!?

• It will be helpful

The reason being for this is because it can help to make places make a lot more easier.An example of this will be a spanish man in a english mcdonalds.This will cause confusion to the workers of the mcdonalds.But if everyone knew english the people of mcdonalds would be able to find it easier to put in the order

• Absolutely. The world needs less conflict, not more.

Yes it would. There's a reason its called a "language barrier". Multiple languages are barriers. Obstacles keeping two people from interacting with one another. If we as a community didn't have to take the time to learn another language we could use that time interacting, forming new ideas and collaborating to create a better, more tolerant society.

• Yes it would

The question did not assume that other languages shouldn't be spoken only asked if the world would be better if we all spoke the same language. I believe if there was a lingua franca, a common language that everybody knew we could all benefit by it most definitely.
    If we could all relate to each other with a common language I think it would make it easier for people to get along, reach compromises, conduct business, discuss ideas... The list goes on.

• No it would not be a good idea.

Language diversity contributes to learning and expansion of one's knowledge. Knowing many languages stimulates the mind and has been proven to slow the effects of diseases such as Alzheimer's. It would not be a good idea for the 1.5 billion people who speak English to tell the other 6 billion people that they need to make the switch to English to make communication, transportation and business more efficient. This would contribute to a detrimental loss of culture and get the world one step closer to a unified world state. Learning another language also (usually) helps in communication of your fist language.

• Culture is lost

In my personal opinion, there is no more culture in the world if we all would speak the same language.
    However, it would be much easier to do business and in education there is only one language which you know.
    The only thing is that the world would be boring.

• Nah not really.

The whole point of language is to communicate with others. Each language represents a culture, right? So if we all learned the same language, there would be no diversity. No diversity means that we are less open to others. It would create conflict all over, and not only that, but we would lose lots of jobs.

• No it wouldn't

Back before we started recording the years (ages ago like millions) people tried creating the Tower of Babel and that it would reach heaven -back then people spoke one language- but God didn't want them to reach heaven so he created what we call today languages and I don't want God to do something like that again. True story borrow the book at the library or store called the Holy Bible it will change your life

• No it wouldn't

• Nope. No. Nuh-uh.

Life would be a heck of a lot more boring. I like to learn new languages. Can't do that with one language! I imagine people would break off and make their own languages anyways! What is the point? Language barriers can be broken with translators. DIVERSITY FOR THE WIN! WHOOO

• No, it wouldn't.

As it is right now, many people from many different countries are taught English as a second language already. Also, computers and apps are getting better at translation and very soon conversations can probably be had between two people who don't know how to speak a common language using a smart phone. People who speak different languages add diversity and culture to the world.