Would you consider horseback riding a sport?

Asked by: 66Piez
  • Of course, horseback riding is a sport!!!

Ok, yeah I get where some people are coming from when they say that riding horses isn't a sport. People who say this are typically ones who have only done trail rides or have just watched professionals. Professionals are supposed to make it look effortless and easy; that's kinda the sport. They never actually see the endless hours of practice, muscle soreness, bruises, and tons of mental blocks. Well, riding horses is a sport!!! When I say that I'm mainly referring to those who jump, barrel race, dressage, cross country, etc....
    1. It's in the Olympics
    2. Considered on of the hardest sports in the world
    3. It's a total body workout
    So, to those who think riding horses isn't a sport, I say try staying completely balanced and looking graceful and put together while galloping at like 52 mph.

1. It's in the Olympics
    3. It's a total body workout

• Yes duh of course

Its in the Olympics. The olympics is a world wide SPORTS competition. Not only is it a physical sport it is also a mental sport. Unlike soccer or football. I just dare you to go get on a horse and do a barrel pattern or maybe even dressage and just try to beat someone who has been riding longer that you. Maybe they are even on a younger horse or less experienced one and they will still beat you if you were even on the best horse in the world. And that is what it means to be a sport. Only people who are petty, selfish and also sissies that cant do anything call riding "Not a sport" you say its not cause you know you could never get on a 1200 pound animal

• It's a sport....Most of the time

I don't ride but I have seen other people ride and they definitely don't just sit there. I think though that some riding isn't a sport. Like if you just trail ride you horse that's not a sport. The sport part of riding is like when you do jumping or dressage. Also the people who train horses I know don't break the horse. They come to an understanding so that both sides are equal and are comfortable and trust each other.

• It's a sport....Most of the time

• It's a sport....Most of the time

• Umm of course it is!

Hello people if any of you don't know this, then let me inform you; not all sports are in the Olympics, but the official sports are in there, and horseback riding is in the Olympics. Also, sports include competing, and there are so many different disciplines to compete in: Jumping, Dressage, Cross Country, Barrel Racing, Vaulting, etc. The counter people will say that the horse does all the work and it's easy, but really it's not. We may make it look like it's easy, but that's because we've spent years practicing. And the horse does not do all the work. Sure it may be the main one moving, but we have to use our arms, legs, and heels to get a thousand or more animal to move. People just look past the thought that if the horse really wanted too, they could easily kill us in a spilt second. Or they could just simply feel like they don't want to work. But no, they don't do that, because they are part of a team. A trusting team that is. They trust us to get them over scary obstacles, when their natural instincts are telling them to get away from it. So if you haven't figured it out by now, horse back riding IS A SPORT!

• Umm of course it is!

• It totally is a sport

If you think that we just sit up on a horse and do nothing you are dumber than i thought. If you take a closer look at a rider when he/she is galloping they ant just siting there! They are putting presher on and off that horses mouth they are using there leg to create an invisible wall to control that horse. When a rider is jumping they have too line a 1000 pound animal that cant under stand them up to a 7 foot jump in less than 2 second. They have to lift there withers and do 2 point to relive presheer from the horses back. If a rider just sat there they would not be considered an equestrian. You may say "well i rode a horse on a trail ride and i just sat there and it was not hard at all" well let me tell you some thing that horse you rode was a old, lazy, retired trail horse trained to sit there and walk. So yes that is just sitting there and being lazy but if you compete on a horse it takes it to a hole new level trust me. If you still are not convinced go get on a green brook horse and gallop 40 miles per hour and jump over 7 feet and then you can tell me it is not a sport!!!!!!!!!

• Yes it is.

Farmers may drive 100x what we control but we control something with a mind of its own. That could throw us off any second it wants us off its back. It could turn around and bite us. One random day while we are mucking its stall it could decided to kick us. We work 5 hours a day, 7 days a week. We sweat. You have 4 quarters and 2 halves to get touchdowns. We have under 2 minutes to show what we got.

• It is not a sport.

I consider horse back riding being to lazy to walk. If you don't like walking then buy a car not a horse, horses are just animals and they are dumb. You have to train them, feed them, clean them and groom them. Like I said before To lazy to walk.

• It's not a sport

Yeah you control a 1000 lb animal but farmers control 100x that and farming isn't a sport. If you need to question whether or not something is a sport, it probably isn't one. I get that you're passionate about your activity but that doesn't mean you need to call it a sport.
    BACKGROUND: I know many people who do horseback riding and have experience with it myself.

• Deff not a sport

In all honesty, riding a horse isn't difficult. Even if it's considered a sport, a jockey isn't an athlete. There's minimal physical movement involved in riding a horse. Just let the horse do its job. I don't know why I need fifty words but I'll add three more words now.

• It isn't a sport, it's a hobby.

Horseback riders complain about sitting on a horse and having but pain, they say because they have to use their thighs you have to be fit. Wrestlers, mama fighters, football players. What do they have in common? Oh yeah they're actually athletic so they can play. Can't say the same about equestrians it's basically only one spot above competitive videogames

• No Not at all

Sport is like soccer or hockey, riding a horse is a luxury or a pass time. Yes there is sport riding like racing barrels or jumping, but horse back riding in general is not a sport. You may have to use strength to stay on and to control the animal but that is not a sport, like saying driving a 4 wheeler is a sport.

• Don't harm animals.

It is not a sport just harming animals.It was used in past to go to from one place to another place.Now we have vehicles to move from one place to another, so, they are using horse ,bulls,etc animals for games.First of all the police should catch the players who play with animals.

• Riding Isn't a sport

Yes the rider does a lot of work but at the end of the day, the horses actions are what result in the final product. Be it running, jumping etc., without the horse pushing off the ground it doesn't happen. For all the people who say "if you say riding isn't a sport you're intimidated because our ball has a mind of its own, stop. You can't compared a 4 legged, living animal to an inanimate object that can't do anything unless you directly move it yourself
    @IsRidingASport

• No, it is not a sport

All the "yes" arguments fail.

All I can read about is:
    The horse is tall and hard to climb (still doesn't make it a sport though)
    You have pain in your muscles, yeah sure. But does that make it a sport?
    The horse does most of the work.

I know it's fun taking care of a horse and do parcours and stuff, but do you move more than that horse?

• Riding an animal is not a sport. It's cruel and degrading.

Riding an animal is not a sport. It's cruel and degrading.Riding an animal is not a sport. It's cruel and degrading.Riding an animal is not a sport. It's cruel and degrading.Riding an animal is not a sport. It's cruel and degrading.Riding an animal is not a sport. It's cruel and degrading.Riding an animal is not a sport. It's cruel and degrading.