Would you consider horseback riding a sport?

Asked by: 66Piez
  • Yes it horse riding is a good sport

It is a sport which everyone practice in schools colleges .
    I love to do horse riding . Not only professional we and you can also do . It is a good sport to be fit and it develops your skill and personality . Everyone should try to do horse riding.

• Yes it horse riding is a good sport

• Horse riding IS a sport

Yes, horse riding is a sport. I have been riding for years now and I can say that it isn't easy. For all you guys out there who say that you just sit there, well, then you must of mistaken a horse for a couch. Let me ask you, have you ever seen a horse randomly doing dressage courses or jumping fences while out in the field? I'm sure not, so that is where the rider comes in. Us equestrians put in just as much effort as any other sport people, maybe even more... Just sayin. Besides riding we haul wheelbarrows of horse poo, lift buckets of water, drag heavy bales of hay and muck out in the hottest of weathers and yet you still sit around and say horse riding isnt a sport? Horse riding is rather different from other sports, but that does not mean that it isn't one. If your still not convinced, why don't you try riding a horse? Try jumping 4 feet high, or doing a dressage course, galloping cross country. Try barrel racing or pole bending. Try put your life in the hands *cough* hooves of a horse. Then tell me that horse riding isn't a sport.

• Yes, is sport

I say yes, cuz, I ride: 2, 3, 4, 5 times a week! I fell of my horse and almost dyed. I don't care what you think about it, but it IS a sport. I still ride, compete, and dare to dream to go to the Olimpique games. None riders!

• Yes, is sport

• It is a sport!

Horseback riding is a sport because the definition of a sport is physical exertion that involves an individual or a group that competes against one another or entertains people. Riding a horse is physical exertion because we are practically trying to control a 1,200 pound toddler with only our legs. If that is not physical exertion, then I do not know what is. Also, during any horse competition, we are all trying to get first place like any track meet or soccer game. Entertaining in any sport is easy. Horseback riding entertains people in the circus or because the horse is in a fun mood. Anyone can be funny in soccer by pretending to kick the ball and land on their butt on purpose. Therefore, these are all the reasons why horseback riding is a sport.

• It is a sport because the horses dont do all the work

When riding a horse you have t make sure they are clean, they have a forward walk, on the right posting diagonal, on the right canter lead, there not running. In a show you have to get your shapes are right your serpentines are correct. And you have to memoerize tests.

• It is a sport... How bout you go try it sometime If your going to say it is not a sport.

If you say horse riding isn't a sport I have one very important question for you... Have you ever even rode a horse. If you haven't you have some nerve going around saying it isn't. I would like to see you go try the stuff us equestrians do. I do barrel racing and it's tough. Go try it sometime. If you have never rode don't even think of saying it's not a sport because that is ignorant.

• Why Wouldn't It Be a Sport?

First of all, you do not just 'sit on the horse.' No, you are in charge of the animal's safety while preforming; you guide it, you show it what do and when to do it all while sitting on its back. And you guide it in those ways through your hands and feet. In order to do this you firstly must be mentally tough, and not break down easily. There will be days when the horse just decides that it'd rather not do anything and simply buck you off. Other sports don't have this component; a soccer ball doesn't decide it doesn't want to be kicked around that day. No, this is something unique to riding that requires you to be strong, take it into your stride, and not panic.

And now of course, you have to be physically tough. A one-hour lesson will prove this immediately to a first-time rider. Your abs will ache along with your thighs, calves, arms, etc. Also, you'll definitely be exhausted. Why? Because you're using those muscles and exerting energy, which is what you do in any other sport.

Not to mention all of that is just while riding the horse. You're also responsible for the animal's well being, and that means you have to push wheelbarrows, shovel stalls, carry heavy water buckets, lift tack, and so much more. All of this is physical exertion, and if you're solely responsible for the upkeep of your horse, then you could be looking at about an hour of this every day.

So overall, yes, it is a sport and anyone who says it isn't probably hasn't been on a horse before and I highly suggest that they hop on one as soon as possible. It's definitely worthwhile and it might just change their mind.

• Yup, it's so a sport

Um, who do you think you are say that it isn't a sport?! Oh yeah, probably that lazy guy in the corner who's never even seen a horse in real life. Excuse me, I've been riding every day for the last 15 years. I own 3 horses. My mom has lived on a farm since she was 3. I think I know a TINY BIT more than you about horses. We equestrians take HOURS to prepare for one SINGLE ride. We feed our horse (five pound grain buckets), give our horses water (40 lb buckets, each horse gets TWO) , haul around countless 70 pound bales of hay, and SO MUCH more. And what do you do? Lace up your sneakers, grab a ball, and start. Yeah, ok. Listen, bro, I'm not saying what you play isn't a sport. I'm just saying since you've never done it before, you shouldn't be talking.

I play basketball for my state team, I run track (I'm an all-star) and I ski. I'm an athletic person. I've been riding forever, and it's my favorite sport. It's also the hardest.

If you've been on a horse, congrats!! You rode that lazy horse that the ranch put all the beginners on. Hate to break it to you, but that means you're a terrible rider. You just sit there only if you suck.

I jump 4 feet on my horse, gallop around cross-country, and am 9th in my region at dressage. I'm a good rider, but you aren't.

This isn't meant to offend anyone at all!! I love the debate.Org community. I'm just telling people what I know!! Have a great day, equestrian or not! :)

• It is not a sport.

I consider horse back riding being to lazy to walk. If you don't like walking then buy a car not a horse, horses are just animals and they are dumb. You have to train them, feed them, clean them and groom them. Like I said before To lazy to walk.

• It's not a sport

Yeah you control a 1000 lb animal but farmers control 100x that and farming isn't a sport. If you need to question whether or not something is a sport, it probably isn't one. I get that you're passionate about your activity but that doesn't mean you need to call it a sport.
    BACKGROUND: I know many people who do horseback riding and have experience with it myself.

• Deff not a sport

In all honesty, riding a horse isn't difficult. Even if it's considered a sport, a jockey isn't an athlete. There's minimal physical movement involved in riding a horse. Just let the horse do its job. I don't know why I need fifty words but I'll add three more words now.

• It isn't a sport, it's a hobby.

Horseback riders complain about sitting on a horse and having but pain, they say because they have to use their thighs you have to be fit. Wrestlers, mama fighters, football players. What do they have in common? Oh yeah they're actually athletic so they can play. Can't say the same about equestrians it's basically only one spot above competitive videogames

• No Not at all

Sport is like soccer or hockey, riding a horse is a luxury or a pass time. Yes there is sport riding like racing barrels or jumping, but horse back riding in general is not a sport. You may have to use strength to stay on and to control the animal but that is not a sport, like saying driving a 4 wheeler is a sport.

• Don't harm animals.

It is not a sport just harming animals.It was used in past to go to from one place to another place.Now we have vehicles to move from one place to another, so, they are using horse ,bulls,etc animals for games.First of all the police should catch the players who play with animals.

• Riding an animal is not a sport. It's cruel and degrading.

Riding an animal is not a sport. It's cruel and degrading.Riding an animal is not a sport. It's cruel and degrading.Riding an animal is not a sport. It's cruel and degrading.Riding an animal is not a sport. It's cruel and degrading.Riding an animal is not a sport. It's cruel and degrading.Riding an animal is not a sport. It's cruel and degrading.

• Riding Isn't a sport

Yes the rider does a lot of work but at the end of the day, the horses actions are what result in the final product. Be it running, jumping etc., without the horse pushing off the ground it doesn't happen. For all the people who say "if you say riding isn't a sport you're intimidated because our ball has a mind of its own, stop. You can't compared a 4 legged, living animal to an inanimate object that can't do anything unless you directly move it yourself
    @IsRidingASport

• No, it is not a sport

All the "yes" arguments fail.

All I can read about is:
    The horse is tall and hard to climb (still doesn't make it a sport though)
    You have pain in your muscles, yeah sure. But does that make it a sport?
    The horse does most of the work.

I know it's fun taking care of a horse and do parcours and stuff, but do you move more than that horse?

• Horseback riding is not a sport!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Horseback riding is not a sport because all you do is sit on the horse while it does all of the work. The only time you actually have to work is when you are doing no stirrups of your horse. Just because it is in the olympics does not mean it is a sport