Would you consider horseback riding a sport?

Asked by: 66Piez
  • It is- others don't believe so, though.

At my school, there is an option to do contract pe- where you do a sport outside of school and use your PE period as a study hall. I was declined access to this feature because my principal told me "Horsebcakriding isn't a sport." It was the sport I enrolled to do instead of PE.
    So then I was stuck in PE at my school. Our PE teacher is a Pervert who has been suspended at least 15 times...
    Let's see how this goes.

• Horseback Riding is a Sport!

Oh yeah its totally not a sport because all you have to do is control a half ton animal with a mind of its own that has the ability to kill you with only your legs and arms. You have to communicate with this animal who doesn't speak your language. You are riding full speed toward a solid stationary object that stands taller than you! And jumping over it. Have you ever slid to a halt it less than 2 seconds. Have you ever preformed and intricate dance with an animal 20x your size? While thinking, are my heels down, eyes and chin up, back straight, hands down, am I looking where I want to go, am I using enough leg, do I have enough forward? WHILE focusing on everything and everyone around you and trying to make it all look easy. So yeah, its totally easy, and its totally not a sport.

• I support BOTH sides.

I will start off with this~ I have been riding for several years, worked with plenty of horses, and I have a horse of my own. It's hard to define whether or not horse riding is a sport. The set definition of a sport is "An activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment." (https://www.Google.Com/search?Q=sport+definition&oq=sport&gs_l=serp.1.0.0i71k1l8.0.0.0.2028.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0..0.0....0...1c..64.Serp..0.0.0.WWG5QS4pQ1s) Logically, riding in competition (Eventing, Rodeo, etc) would be considered a sport. I also believe that practicing for said competition is, as well, a sport. The same would go for things such as football or soccer. On the other hand, trotting, cantering, walking, jumping, for fun; with no goal to compete, is NOT a sport, Yes, it involves physical and mental work, but so does playing a short game of basketball with a group of friends. While you are working, sweating, hurting etc, it does not fit the criteria for it to~by definition~ be a sport *"in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment"*.

• I support BOTH sides

• Yes, of course!

If it wouldn't be a sport then why is it in the Olypmics? Football isn't in the Olympics! The riders train very hard to the horse, and themselves in food shape. The horse is like a ball, but with a mind of its own. You, and fall a few centimeters from the ground when you run, but from the horse, well you fall 3 feet. Ya still thinks it's not a sport?

• Yes, riding is most definitely a sport.

First off I'm going to start off by saying, to you football, soccer, baseball players, 1: Is your sport in the olympics? No 2: Do you risk yo life every time you play your sport? No 3: HAVE you ever fallen 7 feet from the air, going 30 + mph abren stepped on by a 1000 pound + animal, get kicked in the head, your whole body aching in pain, then getting up then saying, Oh I'm fine? No? That's what I thought.

I can see where most people are coming from, but you MUST understand that only it's hard, extreamly dangerous, and fun, but we have to create a relationship with a living, breathing animal with a heart, should, and mind of its own.

Also, studies shown that over a whopping 100 people die each year from horse riding accidents, and well over 1000 related injuries from horse and riding related activities. Football, for example, only 26 football players die each year (that is still a lot)

You might be saying, just because it is the most dangerous sport, it does t mean it is a sport, well true but that isn't all. A sport is an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment. Well in riding, (and I cannot stress this enough) you don't just sit there nd have the horse do all the work, it is an equal amount of both rider and horse. Your body moves with the horse, as one, and you use your leg muscles, balance, abs, back muscle, and (oddly) butt to stay on the horse, and that is just for sitting. That doesn't even include, remembering your course, watching for other riders, heel down, wrists in, thigh loose, arms loose, oh yea, AND IM ALSO GALLOPING ON HALF A TON HORSE THAT COULD KILL ME IN ANY SECOND.

• Riding is a sport

• Of course its a sport

I wonder how many people that said No have actually ridden a horse. Horse back riding is a sport, you have to train and work hard. Its not just the horse doing all the work the rider has to do a lot to. And for anyone saying that equestrians "brake" horses that isn't true either, they learn to trust us and we learn to understand them. In the end we work as a team, and in a team one person doesn't do all the work.

• It is to a sport

If you haven't been thrown off a 2,000 pound animal with a mind of it's own, going 35 miles per hour, from 6 feet up in the air, then you don't know horse riding. Ball players, basketball players, football players, volleyball, none of those guys/girls get thrown through the air and land on there back and come close to death, heck when they get a twisted ankle or pulled muscles they get carried out/off the field, and we have two choses, get trampled to death, or get back on and ride till it's over. We don't get to complain that it is to cold or to hot outside to go out, we have to layer up and tack up and warm up and ride, unlike the other "sports" that get to chose the season length, we have to go through the weather conditions no matter how cold, we still play our game.

• It is not a sport.

I consider horse back riding being to lazy to walk. If you don't like walking then buy a car not a horse, horses are just animals and they are dumb. You have to train them, feed them, clean them and groom them. Like I said before To lazy to walk.

• It's not a sport

Yeah you control a 1000 lb animal but farmers control 100x that and farming isn't a sport. If you need to question whether or not something is a sport, it probably isn't one. I get that you're passionate about your activity but that doesn't mean you need to call it a sport.
    BACKGROUND: I know many people who do horseback riding and have experience with it myself.

• Deff not a sport

In all honesty, riding a horse isn't difficult. Even if it's considered a sport, a jockey isn't an athlete. There's minimal physical movement involved in riding a horse. Just let the horse do its job. I don't know why I need fifty words but I'll add three more words now.

• It isn't a sport, it's a hobby.

Horseback riders complain about sitting on a horse and having but pain, they say because they have to use their thighs you have to be fit. Wrestlers, mama fighters, football players. What do they have in common? Oh yeah they're actually athletic so they can play. Can't say the same about equestrians it's basically only one spot above competitive videogames

• No Not at all

Sport is like soccer or hockey, riding a horse is a luxury or a pass time. Yes there is sport riding like racing barrels or jumping, but horse back riding in general is not a sport. You may have to use strength to stay on and to control the animal but that is not a sport, like saying driving a 4 wheeler is a sport.

• Don't harm animals.

It is not a sport just harming animals.It was used in past to go to from one place to another place.Now we have vehicles to move from one place to another, so, they are using horse ,bulls,etc animals for games.First of all the police should catch the players who play with animals.

• Riding Isn't a sport

Yes the rider does a lot of work but at the end of the day, the horses actions are what result in the final product. Be it running, jumping etc., without the horse pushing off the ground it doesn't happen. For all the people who say "if you say riding isn't a sport you're intimidated because our ball has a mind of its own, stop. You can't compared a 4 legged, living animal to an inanimate object that can't do anything unless you directly move it yourself
    @IsRidingASport

• No, it is not a sport

All the "yes" arguments fail.

All I can read about is:
    The horse is tall and hard to climb (still doesn't make it a sport though)
    You have pain in your muscles, yeah sure. But does that make it a sport?
    The horse does most of the work.

I know it's fun taking care of a horse and do parcours and stuff, but do you move more than that horse?

• Riding an animal is not a sport. It's cruel and degrading.

Riding an animal is not a sport. It's cruel and degrading.Riding an animal is not a sport. It's cruel and degrading.Riding an animal is not a sport. It's cruel and degrading.Riding an animal is not a sport. It's cruel and degrading.Riding an animal is not a sport. It's cruel and degrading.Riding an animal is not a sport. It's cruel and degrading.