Would you consider horseback riding a sport?

Asked by: 66Piez
  • Horse back riding is a freaking sport!

I can't understand how you people don't think it's a sport. Oh yes I can because you've never experience it. Going on a trail ride or riding a pony for your fourth birthday party is not riding! Have you ever had to post, two point, light seat, think about stride counts, keep you heels down, chin up, back straight, shoulders back, all while thinking about 30 other things while on the back of a moving animal. Have you had to keep your leg on a horse, hold on with your thighs, remember the cues for all the different crap the horse knows. If you make one mistake you could die. If you two point to early or too late while jumping you can throw the horse off balance and have the horse fall. Have you ever aced around a barrel at break neck speed and when you turn your inside leg is practically on the ground All while keeping good balance to stay in the saddle. Or cantering top speed at solid objects all while not being afraid. Because of your afraid than your horse knows it and will be afraid too. If you know next to nothing about a sport you can't judge it.

• "Horse does all the work" False

To anyone that says no, please get on my 4 year old 18 hand (6 foot) Danish Warmblood and see how long you can stay on. Now, lets talk Olympics. Football (For people in the United States) Is NOT in the Olympics, Horseback Riding is. By definition a sport is "An activity involving physical exertion and skill" the definition of Horse back riding is "A sport or activity of riding horses". See that? A SPORT. Horses are not dumb, in fact they are very intelligent. Horses are the tenth smartest animal (Humans are on this list also) in the world. They pick up on body language, emotions, and physical behavior. This changes how they act, putting them as one of the smartest animals on earth. If you think this is easy, once again, please try going over a 4'6 jump with these 1,200 pound animals that have no idea how to speak english.

• YOU MAY HAVE RIDDEN A HORSE ONCE ON A TRAIL BUT THATS NOTHING THATS WHAT IS JUST 'SITTING THERE'. Oh and thanks for the compliment :)

When you rode on a trail it was a dead broke bombproof old trail horse an de I'm sure you had a leader leading the horse.
    Http://www.Equinechronicle.Com/ever-wondered-how-many-calories-you-burn-while-riding-your-horse/.
    Have you fallen from 7 feet of of a moving animal only to fall into a fence?
    Have you had a trot?
    Have you canterd?
    Have you galloped?
    Have you had to show a horse who's boss?
    Have you completed a dressage test, a jump course, a cross country course or a polo game?
    Have you ever had a bond with a 1,2000 pound animal so strong that nothing could break it not even the worst fall?
    You have to experience it to know that while your watching were shifting our seat, where stiffing, where relaxing, where pushing, where putting pressure, where pulling, where giving word commands, where relising, where learning, where burning calories, where sweating, where wearing long jodhpurs/breeches or show coats, where riding not sitting but riding. We put all we have in our sport just to be put down by others, how would you like it if I came up to you and told you that the golf stick dose alll the work all the ball dose all the word. Horses and people do a equal amount of work both physicaly and mentally, how can you not see that? You don't see the hours we put into it for years and years, you don't see behind the scenes, so think before you speak. You know what thank you so much you just said a great complement cause that's what we work hard at, to make it look effortless 😊.
    Horse riding is a sport it it's awfully hard but you know what we keep trying and trying until we get it right. We are always learning. So please if you think hors riding
    is a sport keep it to yourself cause you do not realise how hurtful that is. Leave us alone and do not tease or bully for it is a sport you just don't see it and if you don't we will probably let you ride (probably) our babies and you will be sore for a long time.

BYE

• It is a sport!!!

Okay so you're telling me that it isn't a sport and that its easy and all you do is sit non a horse, right? If it isn't a sport why is it in the olympics?! The reason why we have the olympics is to push ATHLETICS to the highest standers! If you are just sitting on the horse then why is it classified under top 5 hardest sports? SDo yah you're sitting on the horse, while working every single muscle in your body, you cant stop cause if you do you can hurt a lot of people. ONe wrong move and you can be dead, YOU ARE RIDING A ANIMAL THAT HAS A MIND OF ITS OWN. NOT ONLY ARE YOU TRYING TO UNDERSTAND THERE LANGUAGE AS THE TRY TO UNDERSTAND YOURS YOU ARE TRYING TO MAKE IT LOOK EASY, AND THAT'S SAYING A LOT!

• It follows the definition of a sport.

The definition of a sport is, "an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment." Horse riding follows all of these "requirements" for a sport. It involves the rider to physically exert themselves in order to control a half ton animal, get around a course, perform a dressage path, barrel race, or do whatever the rider pleases. They must obtain great skill in order to do this. Not only must they maintain the proper position, keep themselves in check, keep their horse in check, teach the horse and themselves, but they must also make it look easy. Horse riding involves working as a team. What team, you say? The team of the horse and the rider. They must work together in order to achieve greatness. Horse riding is also in the OLYMPICS! There are many sections of it in the Olympics, and there are huge shows! There are also incredible races, such as the three races making up the Triple Crown. So, I would like all you people who do not think horse riding is a sport to get on a horse who thinks he is the boss, he will buck every corner, try to refuse each jump, take 10 tries to learn a dressage move, and control him. Oh! And don't forget to keep your heels down, shoulders back, stomach out, don't lean too far back, don't lean too far forward, keep your leg still, make sure the back of your heel is lined up with the back of your ear, cue the horse, keep his pace controlled, follow the correct course (with whatever you are doing), mentally process at least 10 thoughts a minute, balance, don't fall off, keep the horse balanced, count your strides, and so much more! If you think horse riding is easy, think. Again.

• Yes It Is!

Try getting on my horse and jumping 4 feet and tell me after that. And the horse doesn't do all the work. Also it's in the olympics so this shouldn't even be a question. And we are all much stronger than all of the football players who think they're soooo great.

• Yes it horse riding is a good sport

It is a sport which everyone practice in schools colleges .
    I love to do horse riding . Not only professional we and you can also do . It is a good sport to be fit and it develops your skill and personality . Everyone should try to do horse riding.

• Yes it horse riding is a good sport

• Horse riding IS a sport

Yes, horse riding is a sport. I have been riding for years now and I can say that it isn't easy. For all you guys out there who say that you just sit there, well, then you must of mistaken a horse for a couch. Let me ask you, have you ever seen a horse randomly doing dressage courses or jumping fences while out in the field? I'm sure not, so that is where the rider comes in. Us equestrians put in just as much effort as any other sport people, maybe even more... Just sayin. Besides riding we haul wheelbarrows of horse poo, lift buckets of water, drag heavy bales of hay and muck out in the hottest of weathers and yet you still sit around and say horse riding isnt a sport? Horse riding is rather different from other sports, but that does not mean that it isn't one. If your still not convinced, why don't you try riding a horse? Try jumping 4 feet high, or doing a dressage course, galloping cross country. Try barrel racing or pole bending. Try put your life in the hands *cough* hooves of a horse. Then tell me that horse riding isn't a sport.

• It is not a sport.

I consider horse back riding being to lazy to walk. If you don't like walking then buy a car not a horse, horses are just animals and they are dumb. You have to train them, feed them, clean them and groom them. Like I said before To lazy to walk.

• It's not a sport

Yeah you control a 1000 lb animal but farmers control 100x that and farming isn't a sport. If you need to question whether or not something is a sport, it probably isn't one. I get that you're passionate about your activity but that doesn't mean you need to call it a sport.
    BACKGROUND: I know many people who do horseback riding and have experience with it myself.

• Deff not a sport

In all honesty, riding a horse isn't difficult. Even if it's considered a sport, a jockey isn't an athlete. There's minimal physical movement involved in riding a horse. Just let the horse do its job. I don't know why I need fifty words but I'll add three more words now.

• It isn't a sport, it's a hobby.

Horseback riders complain about sitting on a horse and having but pain, they say because they have to use their thighs you have to be fit. Wrestlers, mama fighters, football players. What do they have in common? Oh yeah they're actually athletic so they can play. Can't say the same about equestrians it's basically only one spot above competitive videogames

• No Not at all

Sport is like soccer or hockey, riding a horse is a luxury or a pass time. Yes there is sport riding like racing barrels or jumping, but horse back riding in general is not a sport. You may have to use strength to stay on and to control the animal but that is not a sport, like saying driving a 4 wheeler is a sport.

• Don't harm animals.

It is not a sport just harming animals.It was used in past to go to from one place to another place.Now we have vehicles to move from one place to another, so, they are using horse ,bulls,etc animals for games.First of all the police should catch the players who play with animals.

• Riding an animal is not a sport. It's cruel and degrading.

Riding an animal is not a sport. It's cruel and degrading.Riding an animal is not a sport. It's cruel and degrading.Riding an animal is not a sport. It's cruel and degrading.Riding an animal is not a sport. It's cruel and degrading.Riding an animal is not a sport. It's cruel and degrading.Riding an animal is not a sport. It's cruel and degrading.

• Riding Isn't a sport

Yes the rider does a lot of work but at the end of the day, the horses actions are what result in the final product. Be it running, jumping etc., without the horse pushing off the ground it doesn't happen. For all the people who say "if you say riding isn't a sport you're intimidated because our ball has a mind of its own, stop. You can't compared a 4 legged, living animal to an inanimate object that can't do anything unless you directly move it yourself
    @IsRidingASport

• No, it is not a sport

All the "yes" arguments fail.

All I can read about is:
    The horse is tall and hard to climb (still doesn't make it a sport though)
    You have pain in your muscles, yeah sure. But does that make it a sport?
    The horse does most of the work.

I know it's fun taking care of a horse and do parcours and stuff, but do you move more than that horse?

• Horseback riding is not a sport!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Horseback riding is not a sport because all you do is sit on the horse while it does all of the work. The only time you actually have to work is when you are doing no stirrups of your horse. Just because it is in the olympics does not mean it is a sport