Would you consider horseback riding a sport?

Asked by: 66Piez
  • Yes, it's a sport!

While general horseback-riding itself may not be a sport, there are sports like dressage and barrel-racing (lots more competitions, too) that are centered around riding. It takes athleticism to hold on and post correctly. And what about two-point? For all the people that think it's just SITTING, you've never seen anyone actually ride before.

Sure, the horse does all the cantering and galloping, but who asked him to in the first place? While it's a given that you need balance and general perseverance, you've never had a horse test you before. You can't back down.

Last but not least, We love our horses for their companionship and their wonderful personalities! It's impossible not to smile when you see one :)

• It is a sport

You need to controller the horse you need to be a team you cant just say its easy because its NOT you can get killed and if you say its not think about it this way basketball is not a sport because is it just you no other ppl do work to not just you

• It’s a Sport, No Matter What Your Tiny Brain Thinks

Many of the no arguments state things like this: “The horse does more work!” “You’re just sitting there!” All of these fail to prove why it’s not a sport. Your teammates easily get along with you. They talk to you, and you click at first sight. My horse is a fiery OTTB who doesn’t listen, and I have fallen off COUNTLESS times. It took me TWO years to get a full, trusting bond with him, and your teammate immediately got along with you the first day of practice. When I started riding I was WEAK. Now, I have a 6-pack, believe it or not, the amount of core strength required is maximum. My thighs can break a watermelon because of how strong they’ve been from riding, my abs have allowed me to waterski, while no one else can, and my arms are getting better everyday. Why do you think us equestrians spend hours a day training? Is it because we want to? No! We want to be amazing immediately, but the reason we take so long is because in our sport we HAVE to be devoted, and we take years and years to train, while you have soccer games every weekend! Sure, the horse moves more than the person, but in the end, if the rider wasn’t there, the horse wouldn’t be able to function. We work together as a team! Riding takes a heck ton of strength, endurance, and takes a rough toll on both your body and the horse’s. Admit it, the only reason horseback riding looks so easy, is because us riders, are pretty damn good at it.

• Have you done this???

Dear Non-Equestrians,
    I love it when you ask me what sport I do and I say Ride Horses. And you say, that’s not a sport. You say all we do is sit there, that anyone can do it, and it takes no skill. Then I ask, Have you ever fallen 5ft off the back of an moving object going 36mph? Have you ever danced with a 1200 pound free spirit that doesn’t speak your language? Have you ever trusted your life with an animal that could kill you in seconds with just a change of mind? Have you felt what it feels like to think that one little mistake could KILL YOU? In the sport I do, there are no safety nets, there are no timeouts, the ball has a mind of it’s own. When we fall, we get back up again, because there isn’t anyone to replace us. Our language is based on silence, our connection is unbreakable. Now do see it, now do you understand the sweat, the blood, the time, the dedication, the pain, the love, the CONNECTION? Do you understand the work that goes into my sport? Horses lend us the wings that we lack, we forget all the reasons why it won’t work and remember the ONE reason it will. If you still think horseback riding isn’t a sport, try controlling a 1200 lb animal with a mind of its own, while going 38 miles an hour at the middle of a solid obstacle, also thinking about leads, diagonals, and the next jump on the course.

• YOU TRY IT! If you think it is abuse, read this.

If you want to call equestrianism abuse, you are wrong. Horses may not want to be ridden, but that does not mean we are hurting them. Hurting horses is purposeful abuse such as abandonment, shooting, whipping and slaughtering, NOT RIDING. Riding in a way is what horses were built for. Not only are they built to survive nature and the elements, and their backs are strong and they can withstand riding. Now, some riders are terrible to their horses. They feed them 3 times a week and whip their feet going over jumps to keep their feet up and looking fancy. But, that does not mean that all of us abuse our horses. Let’s consider the Olympic level horses. They jump up to 6 feet tall and up to 5’11 feet wide. These horses are treated like royalty. Each horse at this level has its own groom who feeds it, grooms it, tacks it up, washes it, cools it down, and takes them on planes. These horses are not even CLOSE to being abused! So, please do not call our sport abuse.

• It's in the Olympics, It's obviously a sport.

As a Hunter/Jumper myself, It is way more than just sitting there. It's a full body exercise. It takes a lot of cardio, flexibility, and strength. Also, you are working with an animal 3 times your size and enough power to kill you easily. You have to communicate with this animal through a different language.

Yea, it's totally not a sport.

• Yes it is a sport

Horse riding (competitively) is a sport. Like jumping, barrel racing, cross country, pole bending, etc. Just luxury trail riding isn't. That's what people do on vacation when they know nothing about riding. That is also where people get it mixed up. Yes just going on a trail ride is just sitting there. But when your jumping it is not just sitting there. There is a lot of work to make it look like you are doing nothing when you are actually doing a lot. You have to control a 1200 pound animal with a mind of its own while holding yourself in a certain position. It builds a lot of muscle and some that will never be there unless you ride. You say we don't get money from riding. Tell that to the people who got $1.5 million off of a horse race. Tell that to the owners of Secretariat. They became millionaires. There is a lot of money put into the sport and can be a lot of money gotten out of it. You say its not a team sport? Yes it is. Me and my horse. We become one. We learn to understand one another without using the same language. We learn to control our emotions where we don't get mad and take it out on the horse. All deaths or injuries from riding are the riders fault. They could have caused pain on the horse to the point where the horse was trying to get away from the pain and a lot of more possibility's. You see everything that happens is the riders fault. Not the horses. We are doing a lot of work and burn just as many calories as the horse.
    When someone tells a equestrian horse riding isn't a sport is the most offensive thing you can say. You can curse them out or beat them up and they won't get near as mad as you telling them riding isn't a sport.
    Next time maybe think before you say this. Think of all the requirements that make a sport a sport. Only real sports are in the Olympics! Guess what horse riding is in the Olympics!!

• Horse riding is a sport

Horse back riding is definitely a sport. This is because even though it looks like the horse does all the work it doesn't. We risk our lives every time we sit in the saddle, these horses could kill us in an second with a quick change of their minds. We put our full trust in a 1000pound animal which is over 2x our size. We have to control an animal with a mind of its own with just our hands and legs, while galloping 40mph at a solid object taller than us. Our teammate doesn't speak our language and we have to perform an intricate dance using our body and silence. Us equestrians have to be gentle,quick minded,agile,focused and much more. Have u ever tried to do many things at once? Heels down,toes up,hands down,look up,keep your balance,stay on the right diagonal,lead change,direct your horse,keep going forward,count strides,remember a course/test and all the while trying to be as elegant as possible but still praying every time u run at a jump. This sport is not easy, nor will it ever be. So next time u underestimate us think again

• Horse riding is a sport

• Deff not a sport

In all honesty, riding a horse isn't difficult. Even if it's considered a sport, a jockey isn't an athlete. There's minimal physical movement involved in riding a horse. Just let the horse do its job. I don't know why I need fifty words but I'll add three more words now.

• It's not a sport

Yeah you control a 1000 lb animal but farmers control 100x that and farming isn't a sport. If you need to question whether or not something is a sport, it probably isn't one. I get that you're passionate about your activity but that doesn't mean you need to call it a sport.
    BACKGROUND: I know many people who do horseback riding and have experience with it myself.

• It is not a sport.

I consider horse back riding being to lazy to walk. If you don't like walking then buy a car not a horse, horses are just animals and they are dumb. You have to train them, feed them, clean them and groom them. Like I said before To lazy to walk.

• It isn't a sport, it's a hobby.

Horseback riders complain about sitting on a horse and having but pain, they say because they have to use their thighs you have to be fit. Wrestlers, mama fighters, football players. What do they have in common? Oh yeah they're actually athletic so they can play. Can't say the same about equestrians it's basically only one spot above competitive videogames

• No, it is not a sport

All the "yes" arguments fail.

All I can read about is:
    The horse is tall and hard to climb (still doesn't make it a sport though)
    You have pain in your muscles, yeah sure. But does that make it a sport?
    The horse does most of the work.

I know it's fun taking care of a horse and do parcours and stuff, but do you move more than that horse?

• No Not at all

Sport is like soccer or hockey, riding a horse is a luxury or a pass time. Yes there is sport riding like racing barrels or jumping, but horse back riding in general is not a sport. You may have to use strength to stay on and to control the animal but that is not a sport, like saying driving a 4 wheeler is a sport.

• Don't harm animals.

It is not a sport just harming animals.It was used in past to go to from one place to another place.Now we have vehicles to move from one place to another, so, they are using horse ,bulls,etc animals for games.First of all the police should catch the players who play with animals.

• Horseback riding is not a sport!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Horseback riding is not a sport because all you do is sit on the horse while it does all of the work. The only time you actually have to work is when you are doing no stirrups of your horse. Just because it is in the olympics does not mean it is a sport

• Riding Isn't a sport

Yes the rider does a lot of work but at the end of the day, the horses actions are what result in the final product. Be it running, jumping etc., without the horse pushing off the ground it doesn't happen. For all the people who say "if you say riding isn't a sport you're intimidated because our ball has a mind of its own, stop. You can't compared a 4 legged, living animal to an inanimate object that can't do anything unless you directly move it yourself
    @IsRidingASport

• Riding Isn't a sport

@IsRidingASport