Would you consider horseback riding a sport?

Asked by: 66Piez
  • Horseback riding is a sport

I'm tired of people saying that riding is not a sport. All the non-riders think that "oh that's easy all you do is sit there" um no not quite me work with an animal that is twice our size has a brain of it's own even if it is a tamed horse he can still try to kill you. My best friend recently got a head injury for a horse bucking her of. I started riding at age 3 and so many people say it's not a sport even some of mt best friends and I take them to the barn let them ride and watch me ride they have very said it again. You people that like football i like it to but its will never by as hard as horseback riding at actually no sport will ever be as hard as this sport that I give 100% of my life to.

• Horseback riding is a sport get it right soccer players

Are you kidding me when you say, the horse does all the work and, it isn't a sport? I've frankly heard ENOUGH idiots saying this. First off, your sport is about kicking a rubber ball from China into a net. On the other hand, our sport is about controlling a 1,000 pound animal and making it jump over a 4ft jump while risking your LIFE. Oh, and did I forget to mention that horses speak a different language? Now Children, What is the more extreme sport. Hmm, I wonder? *HINT: It's Horsebackriding!* Let me ask you soccer or whatever other idiotic sport you play, have you ever fallen off a powerful animal that's 7ft at 35 mph? Ever jumped 3ft and knowing you could get killed if you mess this up? Ever had to follow a very intricate dance PERFECTLY with an animal who doesn't speak English? Yeah, I didn't think so. So you can go say "horses do all the work" and "It's dumb it's not a sport" but at the end of the day, Equestrians do more work in a day for their sport, then soccer players do in their LIFE.

• Equestrian is most DEFINITELY a sport.

If you don't consider horseback riding a sport, then that means that it looks as if the horse is doing all the work; as if it is extremely easy and effortless to ride a 16h, sometimes green, thoroughbred horse. Good. That means that we are doing our job. Unlike the other sports in which your only job is to use many muscles and work hard, we have to all that AND make it look easy. Most of you who vote no have never ridden a horse. Or, if you have, it's been on a carnival pony who's trained to walk in circles and follow the pony in front of him/her. Maybe you've been on a guided trail ride with horses trained to follow the guide horse. If you compare that to showing, you should try to jump a six foot fence on a horse like this. Also, in our sport, our ball has a mind of its own. It can make its own decisions. Heck, it can kill us! Jumping six feet high, going forty mph on a 1500lb beast who doesn't speak our language and can cause serious injury or death at any unexpected moment may look easy through your eyes, but come try it, and you'll find that it's not so effortless.

• Totally a sport

Equestrianism is totally a sport. I have done swimming, archery, and rock climbing before as well and riding is as tiring if not more so. For those who think it's easy, I dare you to get on the mare I ride bareback and do two point at a trot five times around the arena without stirrups and not fall off or get tired.

• Riding is a sport.

We do not just sit there. When people say "let the horse do all the work" they've clearly never ridden a hard to ride horse that doesn't listen to everything you tell them. Also, DO NOT compare horseback riding with driving a four-wheeler. Does a four wheeler decide weather it wants to kill you today or not? Does a vehicle have a brain of its own? No, it doesn't. So just keep throwing your balls or whatever around in your field and leave us, equestrian athletes, alone.

• How about you try this huh

For those of you inexperienced with horses and watching Olympic Equestrian events, it may look as though the horse is doing most the work, but...No. OW, and no. Imagine sitting on a big exercise ball, but not able to put your feet on the ground but rather gripping the sides of it with your lower leg and thigh (not just sitting--in fact, your butt should be light). For posting trot, squeeze from your upper thighs and knees so you lift your butt off the ball--yes, still without letting your feet touch the ground--and maintain your balance/center. (Stirrups are for extra security and a balance aid, not for pushing against. Watch the Olympic riders' stirrups--they barely move because they're using their legs to grip, so their feet are still). Balance yourself so you don't just roll off. Then imagine the ball moving every which way and bouncing. Then imagine the ball having opinions of its own and making sudden movements to the side, straight up in front of you, or straight up behind you. (Some have serious *attitudes* of their own.)

Now, for your upper body. Imagine alternating push ups, pull ups, and chin ups while squeezing a tennis ball. Depending on the horse (the high-headed, head-strong types), you will need to do between 10-1000 of these in the period of 30 minutes while your legs do their own thing.

Now imagine all four limbs doing four different things at once on a semi-regular basis. Tennis ball squeeze one hand, chin up other, squeeze one leg, hold other leg steady, and now start planning your course...No, no, eyes up! Stop thinking about what you're doing...

• Hear me out.

You get sore muscles after riding. It's because you are using them, and stretching them out. If you sit in a yoga pose, stretch, or sit funny for a long time, you will become sore because you have stretched your muscles. You are USING your muscles when you ride. And just wait till you see us work to care for our animals, and carry 50 pound saddles, 25 pound water buckets, and 20 pounds of feed back and forth to their stall. And after we ride, we do all that repeatedly. And clean stalls. And wake up bourse earlier than everybody else so we can spend a few more hourse caring for our gentle giants. And don't even get me started on the fact of horse riding being "animal cruelty". Yeah, when I go to rodeo I see some people get mad at their horses. But we do not starve our pets, beat them to death, or ride the hell out of them. Just watch a real barrel racer, jumper, eventer or any other horse rider really care for their horse. You'd be surprised.

• Hear me out.

• It is a sport

I don't care what people say. It is a sport. It's in the Olympics, people train 7 hours a day every day. Let me ask you something. Have you ever fallen 7 feet going about 35 mph? Have you ever put your life on the line? Have you ever trusted something 10 times your size? Try getting on a horse and do what we do. Jump over obstacles that are taller than you. I dare you.

• It absolutley IS

Are you serious why just why. HORSEBACK RIDING IS A SPORT. It takes a lot of strength!!! I would like to see all you haters ride a horse. It would definitely bring a smile to my face. And oh yeah when I ride i totally just sit there and don't do ANYTHING ( btw Im being sarcastic) People like that make me mad

• It is not a sport.

I consider horse back riding being to lazy to walk. If you don't like walking then buy a car not a horse, horses are just animals and they are dumb. You have to train them, feed them, clean them and groom them. Like I said before To lazy to walk.

• It's not a sport

Yeah you control a 1000 lb animal but farmers control 100x that and farming isn't a sport. If you need to question whether or not something is a sport, it probably isn't one. I get that you're passionate about your activity but that doesn't mean you need to call it a sport.
    BACKGROUND: I know many people who do horseback riding and have experience with it myself.

• Deff not a sport

In all honesty, riding a horse isn't difficult. Even if it's considered a sport, a jockey isn't an athlete. There's minimal physical movement involved in riding a horse. Just let the horse do its job. I don't know why I need fifty words but I'll add three more words now.

• It isn't a sport, it's a hobby.

Horseback riders complain about sitting on a horse and having but pain, they say because they have to use their thighs you have to be fit. Wrestlers, mama fighters, football players. What do they have in common? Oh yeah they're actually athletic so they can play. Can't say the same about equestrians it's basically only one spot above competitive videogames

• No Not at all

Sport is like soccer or hockey, riding a horse is a luxury or a pass time. Yes there is sport riding like racing barrels or jumping, but horse back riding in general is not a sport. You may have to use strength to stay on and to control the animal but that is not a sport, like saying driving a 4 wheeler is a sport.

• Don't harm animals.

It is not a sport just harming animals.It was used in past to go to from one place to another place.Now we have vehicles to move from one place to another, so, they are using horse ,bulls,etc animals for games.First of all the police should catch the players who play with animals.

• Riding an animal is not a sport. It's cruel and degrading.

Riding an animal is not a sport. It's cruel and degrading.Riding an animal is not a sport. It's cruel and degrading.Riding an animal is not a sport. It's cruel and degrading.Riding an animal is not a sport. It's cruel and degrading.Riding an animal is not a sport. It's cruel and degrading.Riding an animal is not a sport. It's cruel and degrading.

• Riding Isn't a sport

Yes the rider does a lot of work but at the end of the day, the horses actions are what result in the final product. Be it running, jumping etc., without the horse pushing off the ground it doesn't happen. For all the people who say "if you say riding isn't a sport you're intimidated because our ball has a mind of its own, stop. You can't compared a 4 legged, living animal to an inanimate object that can't do anything unless you directly move it yourself
    @IsRidingASport

• Riding Isn't a sport

@IsRidingASport

• No, it is not a sport

All the "yes" arguments fail.

All I can read about is:
    The horse is tall and hard to climb (still doesn't make it a sport though)
    You have pain in your muscles, yeah sure. But does that make it a sport?
    The horse does most of the work.

I know it's fun taking care of a horse and do parcours and stuff, but do you move more than that horse?