Would you consider horseback riding a sport?

Asked by: 66Piez
  • Definitely a sport

This is litterly my biggest pet peeve when people say "o you just sit there" "its easy" like hunny its not you try trotting with no stirrups or jumping a 35mph machine towards a 3 foot jump or falling from 5 feet off the ground and every one on the no side has most likely never rode a horse competitively so they should not be talking

• Riding is If You Don't Think So Then try it!!!

Horse back riding is definitely a sport!! I dont need a gym because I'm already doing all my lifting and "work outs" in my barn. When I ride a horse, regardless of how well i'm in shape, me and the horse i'm riding brake out in a sweat and i'm out of breath. That's only when i'm training with dressage! When I'm jumping me and my trainer take breaks in between because when your jumping 3'6" you and that horse get verrrryyyyy tired, especially when your trainer asks you to say in 2 point for 5+ laps at a trot or canter. Also if you have ever noticed no one who is showing in an upper level is never overweight!!! When riding in any form, wether it's english or western, your core, lower legs, thighs, butt, back, chest and arms get a work out. Every time you ride you get a whole body workout!!!

• Okay, let me get this straight.

Okay, sure, horse riding is not a sport. Then basketball certainly isn't either. If controlling a 1200 pound animal that doesn't understand you is not hard, then throwing a ball a few feet in the air is?
    If making a horse stop and stand on it's two hind legs is not terribly difficult, then swinging a bat and running is extremely difficult?!? If jumping on an animal that could decide that you are going over that jump and he's not, then falling eight inches on the ground and faking being hurt is hard? Think before you say, "sports players." If you want to come and try to ride my horse over a 5 foot fence and still stay on and do it again and again, please let me know. Not just sitting on a blanket saying giddyup while flicking some reins at a horse. That is not riding. Neither is wearing a pink dress and sitting around being snobby. It is working.

• Horseback riding is a sport

Reasons
    1. It's in the Olympics
    2. We ride all year long even in the freezing cold
    3. Try staying perfectly balanced on a horse
    4. We spend thousands of dollors just to practice
    5. We work with an unpredictable animal that can easily kill us
    6. We carry hundreds of pounds of food for our horses

• It isn't JUST a sport, it is the HARDEST sport.

I do track. I run. But I also ride horses. I have more muscle than ALL of the girls and most of the guys in my grade. All because I ride horses. You burn upwards of 700 calories an hour, just cleaning and mucking out stalls. You lift 50 lbs hay bales, 4 or more at a time. You carry 40 lbs water and grain buckets. And that is just off the horse.

• Of course, horseback riding is a sport!!!

Ok, yeah I get where some people are coming from when they say that riding horses isn't a sport. People who say this are typically ones who have only done trail rides or have just watched professionals. Professionals are supposed to make it look effortless and easy; that's kinda the sport. They never actually see the endless hours of practice, muscle soreness, bruises, and tons of mental blocks. Well, riding horses is a sport!!! When I say that I'm mainly referring to those who jump, barrel race, dressage, cross country, etc....
    1. It's in the Olympics
    2. Considered on of the hardest sports in the world
    3. It's a total body workout
    So, to those who think riding horses isn't a sport, I say try staying completely balanced and looking graceful and put together while galloping at like 52 mph.

1. It's in the Olympics
    3. It's a total body workout

• Yes duh of course

Its in the Olympics. The olympics is a world wide SPORTS competition. Not only is it a physical sport it is also a mental sport. Unlike soccer or football. I just dare you to go get on a horse and do a barrel pattern or maybe even dressage and just try to beat someone who has been riding longer that you. Maybe they are even on a younger horse or less experienced one and they will still beat you if you were even on the best horse in the world. And that is what it means to be a sport. Only people who are petty, selfish and also sissies that cant do anything call riding "Not a sport" you say its not cause you know you could never get on a 1200 pound animal

• It's a sport....Most of the time

I don't ride but I have seen other people ride and they definitely don't just sit there. I think though that some riding isn't a sport. Like if you just trail ride you horse that's not a sport. The sport part of riding is like when you do jumping or dressage. Also the people who train horses I know don't break the horse. They come to an understanding so that both sides are equal and are comfortable and trust each other.

• It's a sport....Most of the time

• It is not a sport.

I consider horse back riding being to lazy to walk. If you don't like walking then buy a car not a horse, horses are just animals and they are dumb. You have to train them, feed them, clean them and groom them. Like I said before To lazy to walk.

• It's not a sport

Yeah you control a 1000 lb animal but farmers control 100x that and farming isn't a sport. If you need to question whether or not something is a sport, it probably isn't one. I get that you're passionate about your activity but that doesn't mean you need to call it a sport.
    BACKGROUND: I know many people who do horseback riding and have experience with it myself.

• Deff not a sport

In all honesty, riding a horse isn't difficult. Even if it's considered a sport, a jockey isn't an athlete. There's minimal physical movement involved in riding a horse. Just let the horse do its job. I don't know why I need fifty words but I'll add three more words now.

• It isn't a sport, it's a hobby.

Horseback riders complain about sitting on a horse and having but pain, they say because they have to use their thighs you have to be fit. Wrestlers, mama fighters, football players. What do they have in common? Oh yeah they're actually athletic so they can play. Can't say the same about equestrians it's basically only one spot above competitive videogames

• No Not at all

Sport is like soccer or hockey, riding a horse is a luxury or a pass time. Yes there is sport riding like racing barrels or jumping, but horse back riding in general is not a sport. You may have to use strength to stay on and to control the animal but that is not a sport, like saying driving a 4 wheeler is a sport.

• Riding Isn't a sport

Yes the rider does a lot of work but at the end of the day, the horses actions are what result in the final product. Be it running, jumping etc., without the horse pushing off the ground it doesn't happen. For all the people who say "if you say riding isn't a sport you're intimidated because our ball has a mind of its own, stop. You can't compared a 4 legged, living animal to an inanimate object that can't do anything unless you directly move it yourself
    @IsRidingASport

• Don't harm animals.

It is not a sport just harming animals.It was used in past to go to from one place to another place.Now we have vehicles to move from one place to another, so, they are using horse ,bulls,etc animals for games.First of all the police should catch the players who play with animals.

• Riding an animal is not a sport. It's cruel and degrading.

Riding an animal is not a sport. It's cruel and degrading.Riding an animal is not a sport. It's cruel and degrading.Riding an animal is not a sport. It's cruel and degrading.Riding an animal is not a sport. It's cruel and degrading.Riding an animal is not a sport. It's cruel and degrading.Riding an animal is not a sport. It's cruel and degrading.

• No, it is not a sport

All the "yes" arguments fail.

All I can read about is:
    The horse is tall and hard to climb (still doesn't make it a sport though)
    You have pain in your muscles, yeah sure. But does that make it a sport?
    The horse does most of the work.

I know it's fun taking care of a horse and do parcours and stuff, but do you move more than that horse?

• No come on

Please real hors riders use high power cattle prods we need high power cattle prods !We need high power cattle prods !We need high power cattle prods !We need high power cattle prods !We need high power cattle prods !We need high power cattle prods !We need high power cattle prods !We need high power cattle prods !