Would you have a religion if you were going to die soon?

Asked by: harrymate
  • I already have a religion.

I chose my religion many years because my parents raised me with the Christian faith.
    After I left home, I went through a period of time where I rejected it because I had met many Christians who were overbearing and rude. Looking back, I was the same way and still need to consciously keep myself in check.
    I resumed attending services because I know that there has to be more to our existence than our experiences on this earth.

• Hm, quite possibly.

If I was about to die, and had previously been mostly or almost completely non-religious, I'd probably turn to Christianity during the last days.
    It depends on the circumstances, like whether I was particularly fearful or not. Even if one doesn't fully believe in it, sometimes that person can find comfort turning to the religion during times of hardship and despair.

• Ehhh it would b like insurance

Q q q q q q q q q q q q q q q q q q q q q q q q q q q q q q q q q q q q q q q q q q q q q q 2 2 2 2

• Made new in Christ here

I am already a Christian; I have been for years. If I was going to die, I'd be more concerned over the people I'm about to leave behind instead of my future. I know where I'm headed and I am overjoyed at the thought that one day I'll meet my Savior!

• Yes for sure

Would you rather- live your life believeing there is a God and finding out there isn't ( which there is), or live like there isn't a God and find out there is? Please do not hate something that you don't fully understand. Jesus died for you and your sins so that when you do die, you can be with him in heaven. Yes, you should live this life to the fullest with values but don't you want to hope for something after this life?(even though there is). Yes you can hate me for believing in God and Jesus, but I will always love you.

• Why should i not?

If you are going to die soon and you need some form of comfort religion can be a good remedy. Religion is used by billions of people around the world as an escape from this material world and as a book of answers to life's hardest questions. I do not think you should look down on someone who decides to have the word of G-D or some other deity as a form of salvation and retribution.

• Salvation depends on God's will

Lot's of people have religion without salvation because there's a big difference between the two. You can start having religious feelings or participate in religious activities and be just as lost as when you had no such aspirations. And it's a common misconception that you can just "get saved" whenever you want, or that's it's just a matter of "letting Jesus come into your heart."

All such teachings are grossly humanistic, and they treat God as if He were a machine that is always ready to deliver at our beck and call. But that is not the teaching of the Bible. As Jesus said, "Many will say to me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name and in your name drive out demons and in your name perform many miracles?’ Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!’" (Matthew 7:22)

Before the coming of Christ, thousands of years passed in preparation, showing us our need for a Savior. It's not enough to simply give mankind moral precepts, because fallen man is incapable of maintaining God's law. Thousands of years were spent in order demonstrate Israel's repeated failures and to teach us of the limitations of the human will. The problem isn't simply obedience but the total lack of inclination to do anything pleasing to God: "The LORD has looked down from heaven upon the sons of men to see if there are any who understand, who seek after God. They have all turned aside, together they have become corrupt; There is no one who does good, not even one." (Psalm 14:2,3)

Those who were saved prior to Christ's coming, such as King David, recognized that their salvation was not due their reaching out to God, but rather it was the power of God working in their hearts. As King David wrote: "Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me." (Psalm 51:10)

Repentance (Acts 5:31; Acts 11:18) and faith (Ephesians 2:8,9) are gifts from God. Even the desire to seek God are due to the work of the Holy Spirit in our lives (Philippians 2:13, Ezekiel 11:19). As Jesus said, "You did not choose Me but I chose you, and appointed you that you would go and bear fruit, and that your fruit would remain, so that whatever you ask of the Father in My name He may give to you." (John 15:16)

For that reason, it's foolish to think that you can simply get religious before you die. As Jesus said, "Everyone who hears these words of Mine and does not act on them, will be like a foolish man who built his house on the sand. The rain fell, and the floods came, and the winds blew and slammed against that house; and it fell—and great was its fall." (Matthew 7:26,27) And Paul wrote, "Behold, now is "THE ACCEPTABLE TIME," behold, now is "THE DAY OF SALVATION." (2 Corinthians 6:2)

• If I was going to die

I would live life how it is meant to be lived. With fun and laughter, scary and adventures. If I was going to die soon, I'd spend all of my money. I would go to Antarctica, USA, UK, France, Hong Kong and other awesome places. I would do all of the best rides and tourist attractions there.

• No religion, face reality

Religion can only temporarily give hope up to a certain amount of time. I am sure god would not rescue my fall when I jump off a cliff. When death is creeping by, one has to eventually face reality, rely on hope and say your goodbyes. I would not follow a religion just to cover the fact that I am about to die soon.

• I might choose the wrong one!

If I chose a religion before I died and chose the wrong one I'd feel like a bit of a moron. Who is to say which (if any) God is the right one? I prefer to remain an atheist until someone proves their God is real - my money is on the Odinists!

• No, and here's why:

"Religion" is a codified construct made by humans to coerce and manipulate other humans, through fear of eternal torture, to behave in a certain manner. An all-loving and all-powerful God doesn't torture people for eternity (or ever) as you are literally incapable of offending or hurting God- and even if you COULD hurt an all-loving, all-powerful God, that God wouldn't hurt YOU because, remember, that God is all-loving.

Also, God doesn't try to "trick" us by not showing 100% which religion or thought process to follow to be with God. The fact that you don't know without a doubt the correct thought process to follow to be with God in no way means you must be punished for your ignorance- you just need to ask for guidance and slowly or quickly the answer will be given to you. Some souls accomplish this feat in a few lifetimes, some in many lifetimes...

• My spirit will be everywhere

If I knew I was dying i would want to experience what is not learn what could be. By joining a religion I would be accepting something that may or may not be real. I would rather live my life happy and do things that a good and healthy for me.

• Thats a bit hypocritical.

No I would not. In a study it was discussed that people who died with absolute sureness of their religion died happy and at peace, same with people who were absolutely sure they did not believe in anything. It is the people that do not know that die with more stress. I would stay being an athiest unless something happened to prove me otherwise.

• No I would not

I believe my mind is strong enough to face reality in any situation, even if I do not want to. Carl Sagan said, "for me, it is better to grasp the Universe as it really is than persist in delusion." (something like that). It really demonstrates courage to live a full and honest life without living in delusion just make you fee good.

• Not even at death

If I haven't believed in god all my life, why should I during death? It defies all my logic, and turns me into a hypocrite. In fact, whats a coincidence is during the Indian revolution, an atheist patriot was about to be hung, when the jailor told him to at least believe in god now. The guy said no, because there is no point to believe in god now. (Im a big fan of history).

With that said, no I will not.

• More like a no.

Speaking as an agnostic, I see no reason in finding comfort in religion without seeing the facts behind all the gods and devils, even in my last hours. Instead of getting the 'answers' from suspicious people centuries ago in history, I prefer seeking the truth through my own experience in life.

As the old cliche goes - you only live once. Why not spend every second of your life seeking the truth? It is easy to accept the dogmas and theories in religion, but is that all we are capable of? Can't we prove or disprove religion with science?

Unlike most people that are worried about the afterlife that awaits them, I prefer living an intellectually free life. A life in which I can ask myself questions without the fear of that which is beyond.

• I would not abandon my beliefs.

I am an atheist and I would not become religious in the search for some afterlife I do not believe exists, simply because of my impending death. I have always believed that this time we get on earth is all we have, so I would try to spend my final days enjoying them as best as possible, not searching for more.

Mike01506 says2014-10-05T22:32:38.357
Even though it's worded poorly, it's a good question. Well done.