Would you rather live as though God exists and find out after death that He doesn't, or would you rather live as though God doesn't exist and find out after death that He does?

Asked by: simpleman
  • This is not a Yes/No question...

But I would rather live as though God exists. This was basically Dag Hammarkjold's attitude which was probably based on Pascal's Wager: it is a far better bet to believe in God's existence and comport oneself likewise, and thus share in an eternal reward, than to live as though God does not exist and automatically forfeit any possible reward.

• God doesn't exist

I would rather live as though dod doesn't exist and be "pleasantly surprised" after death to find a god does exist. People who live as if there is a god are praising a phantom for works that are attributed to chance or mankind. Living as if a god is there watching over you will ultimately lead to disappointment and bitterness after "he" fails to protect or save oneself.

• I Do Not Wish For Either

I would rather live without regret and live my life to the fullest. The question as to whether good exists or not is unimportant to day to day life. Life and the world is a mystery, and it is best to embrace that mystery while never knowing the answer. It's a classic agnostic outlook.

Loveshismom says2014-06-26T20:24:54.257
Extremely difficult and thought-provoking question.