Would you run for office if it meant that others would benefit from your leadership, even if it meant you would be provided no personal advantages from it?

Asked by: simpleman
  • Running for Office with No Personal Agenda

I feel that even though it is the highest office in the country, it is still really a civil servant position. And since it is the people who elected you, and it is their tax dollars that pay you, You work for them to unite and move the country forward. It is a job that requires diligence, honesty and integrity.
    You should lead by example, and not take advantage of your position, for in taking advantage, you put yourself above the people and abuse your power.

• I would, if I could see it.

I wouldn't want people just telling me that others were benefitting without being able to see and confirm for myself that my leadership is indeed helping others. If I had nothing to lose from doing this, or maybe something that would make it worth, even if it meant my life was endangered by those who want to keep certain groups from having rights and other privileges, I would still run. If I had opportunity, I would take it without a second thought.

• Assuming by "no personal advantages" you're not including any positive feelings from watching people benefit, then possibly

Everything is essentially self-interested. The only problem is people take this fact and then assume you can't legitimately be interested in helping others. You can, it's just that that's still self-interested. In fact it is very natural to have positive feelings from helping other people. But it's still self-interest. So in the end possibly it would depend on how it weighs with other things.

• What's in it for me?

Life is about surival. You have to watch out for you first because no one else cares. Seriously. This utopian crap is retarded. Random God damn word filler here. I swear this is retarded. If i have to do this one more time. This word minimum is retarded. Shiznit. God damn it.