Would you sacrifice one in order to save many others?

• Many more lives are more important than 1

If the person that you were sacrificing was the queen or the prime minister and the rest were the rest of humanity would you sacrifice the queen or humanity? I would sacrifice the queen because she is only one person. It would still be classed as murder any way you look at it and if you sacrifice one person your saving many people.

• It's what's right.

No matter how much it pains me to say it, I would gladly throw away my life or another if it meant that more people as a whole would live. I have no right at all to put my life or happiness over say one hundred people. It's selfish and wrong in my opinion to ever put one life no matter how precious to you over even two lives for that matter. I know it may be flawed thinking, I know my words may even sound non human to some people, I also know it may be possible that the people I saved were better off dead, like murderers or thieves. But I have hope that the unknown people I saved would go on to do good things that save more people than I or the person or people I sacrificed ever could.

• The Needs of the Many Outweigh the Needs of the Few

I would sacrifice one in order to save many others, because the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, typically. Maybe if the one about to be sacrificed is someone really important like has the cure for AIDS or cancer or something then I wouldn't do it. But typically one can assume that when making a decision (and you are making a decision that will result in some people's lives ending regardless of whether you do anything or just sit there) it's best to save more lives than to lose more lives.
    If the person to sacrifice was me, I also wouldn't do it. I'm considerate of others needs and will gladly sacrifice things for others at times, but my life isn't one of them.

• Yes, I believe so.

If I were in a position to sacrifice a group of people in order to save a larger group of people, I would do it in an instant. Count your losses and weigh out your options before you make the choice but in the end...it all comes down to how you can save the most lives.

• Several lives are more valuable than one

Obviously, my conscience would make it extremely difficult to sacrifice one person in place of several, but one person gone is not as unfortunate or sad as if many people were to be killed needlessly. Would you have sacrificed one life to prevent the Holocaust, for example? In a heartbeat.

• Yes I would sacrifice one in order to save many others

Overall, the goal of humanity is survival. Sometimes, the battle is not as simple as person fighting another but nations at war or humanity fighting against a common threat (global warming for example.) Sometimes there are people in this world who can help by sacrificing themselves in order to help the greater good. Similarly, I would also sacrifice one person if it can help save 50 because why let 50 people die when only 1 has to die?

• Yes, I would sacrifice one in order to save many others.

Yes, I would sacrifice one in order to save many others. It would and could be a very difficult decision to make but it is obvious that saving more people is the moral and proper thing to do. Typically it takes more than two people to achieve bigger goals and do more good so that is why one must be sacrificed for the better of the group.

• One versus the many

I always think the question. Would you sacrifice your son, daughter, sister, mother etc. if they were the one versus the many? I think that sacrificing people I know would be a lot harder if I didn’t know the many. Or what if I knew them all? I think I would have to weigh a lot of decisions in an instant. I would not sacrifice one to save many. People may say "how selfish of me to not sacrifice one to save a hundred", but I think about this, what if the girl is not just anonymous, but my own mother or at least someone I know? Or what if it is my own life that is at stake? I bet it becomes immediately difficult to just see these people as a number one in a bigger equation. Ethical egoism is the normative ethical position that moral agents ought to do what is in their own self-interest. Ethical egoism holds that actions whose consequences will benefit the doer can be considered ethical.

• 15 or 35

Would you want to kill 35 people or 15. . . . . .. . . . . . . . . .. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

• Objective and Subjective

Imagine the scenario: you're standing by a train track, right by the lever that changes the direction of the train to another rail, a train is hurtling down the tracks in the not-so-far distance. On the rail the train is going to head down, three people are tied to it, you can pull the lever to change the rail and save them, but there's one person on the other rail. What would you do? Save the three, of course. Most people's answer to that is the same, because it's a very objective and impersonal action, pulling a lever.

On the other hand, I present this scenario: Three people tied to a rail, the train moving towards them, you are instead on a bridge above the rail quite a way from the people with one other person. Now, the only way to save the three, is if you either throw the other person off, so the driver notices and stops in time to save the three, but killing the other person, or yourself jumping off the bridge to the save effect. What would you do? This is a more difficult one, because it's far more personal, physically pushing someone off a bridge or jumping yourself off is far different to simply pulling a lever. As much as everyone would love to say they would sacrifice themselves rather than kill one, or let three die, think about it. Would you really have the guts?

• No

It is not my place to make that decision. How can I decide who gets sacrificed and who gets to live? I am not in any such position to be able to make that call. It would not be moral for me to do that, even if I really wanted to.

• It is morally wrong.

The fact that sacrificing someone for the lives of many others, to think critically, is actually a very good choice. However, this goes against our moral beliefs as human beings, because humans have no right to decide the fate of another life. It is better to sacrifice oneself than to take life away from another.

• Depends on the Who

It is easier to put a value on the lives of complete strangers, but it is another thing completely when it involves someone you love. If the three on one side were complete strangers, and the one on the other was the woman I loved, I would save her. Some would call it an act of selfishness, but no man has the right to judge until he is in the same position. But then again, its not making the decision that's the hard part, its living with yourself after.

• No i would not.

I would not sacrifice one to save many. People may say "how selfish of you to not sacrifice one to save a hundred", but think about it; What if that one person was you? Most likely you would not be brave enough to die for others, but you sure would try to convince someone else to. People would only take a second to throw someone else under the bus, but they sure as heck don't want to be that unlucky someone.

• No i would not.

• Sacrifice None or All

We all live or we all die . Leave no human behind . We fight together , we share good and evil . A meteor is hurtling toward earth we are all going to die that's as it should be . We destroy the meteor we all live that's as it should be . We should never sacrifice one person to save many let the meteor hit for we all will die eventually.

• Your Placing A Value On Human Life.

I could never look into someones eyes and tell them "you have to die in order for the rest of us to survive" thats so unfair to me... Thats cruel and unusual punishment. My argument may not appeal to everyone, but it appeals to people with a brain... Just take a moment and think about it... Would you jump off a 5,000 ft cliff in order to save a group of people just because somebody asked you to? I wouldn't think so. How dare they ask you? You out of all people? I can only imagine what people back then mustve felt when they were the ones being sacrificed.

• Your Placing A Value On Human Life.

• King Joshua Ellis

No, I would not kill someone to save many because to me only God should have the saying on who to take away. Also killing that one person isn't fair because that person could be an innocent person that has never ever done wrong in his or her lifetime. Thats how I feel about the Situation.