Would you still be religious even if a new scientific breakthrough eliminated any possibility to god existing?

Asked by: Bruinshockeyfan
  • Science is irrelevant

Atheists say, "if the Bible says something, does that mean it's true?"
    Well, I say, "just because science says something, does that confirm its truth?" I would still believe in God, and I would remain a religious person despite what conclusions they reach in the lab. There are no reasons to believe science over religion except for the fact that science allows people to blend in, go with the flow and enjoy pleasures of life whereas religion often makes people think differently, and humans fear ostracism constantly.

• It won't happen.

This theoretical scientific breakthrough would never happen. Why? Because God has already given us evidence that he exists.

Romans 1:19-20 "since what may be known about God is plain to them, because God has made it plain to them. For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities--his eternal power and divine nature--have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse."

• What would that evidence be?

I don't see it possible for science to ever make that kind of breakthrough. The only thing comes close to accomplishing such a thing would be to make an entire universe. And even then you would have to create the universe out of nothing. But if course you have to already exist to create.

Science would have to know how the universe came to be and recreate it without the use of equipment.

• Too big for science

Science has no final say on metaphysics. The question of God existing is a metaphysical one to which science will continue to remain silent, since metaphysics means outside of physics. There can therefore be no scientific breakthrough that dismisses what science cannot inform us on, since by definition, science is cannot speak on what is outside of science.

• God IS God

Science is never absolute, and it is always flawed because the views the present will be at the discretion of those who FUND them. Look at how many times science keeps updating, throwing out discoveries in view of others. But that's really not relevant. What IS relevant is are you prepared and willing to go to Hell, for THEIR opinion. Many already are ..... Aren't they?

• I would still believe

Science has already TRIED to prove God does not exist. Humans that do not believe in a superior being need an explanation of how the earth, humans and life came into existence so scientists throw some theories together, sugar coat them with "evidence" that either is totally false or has a thousand other explanations and then say that here is proof that nature creates and controls itself and there is no God. Any "breakthrough" that science might have is just a want to be "breakthrough" that is made to look good and eventually it fools people. I am not saying that all science is wrong, obviously it has been able to help society and create a new abilities and powers for the human race but when science is used to combat faith, it is a disgusting tool that provides only theories that humans can use to sooth themselves by being loosely reassured that everything is OK and that they don't have to change.

• Yes. There would still be reasons to believe!!

Science can be wrong. What is proven today can be disproven tomorrow. That being said, I am a man of Science and of Faith. Science gives me the answers to the world around me. But Science cannot give me all (if any) answers to the problems in my life. When I am lacking confidence and faith in myself, I cannot turn to Science to fill me with confidence and with self-faith. I always ask myself "Who gives you the faith in yourself?", due to the fact that my faith and confidence, by scientific standards, hasn't been justified or verified. I like to think that there is a God who gives me the faith to have self-confidence, self-faith, and to seek the truth. Imagine thinking that one's confidence and self-faith are unfounded; based upon the image of oneself.

• Let's give an exemple

So let's say you're walking down the street and a homeless man comes up to you and tells you the world is going to end at 11:40 AM next Tuesday and you ask for proof. He is able to give you a article talking about how the Taliban have gotten there hands on a nuclear weapon and plan to use it. The article has some links where you can go to get more information. You are curious so you go home and check them out it is true. Do you still believe the world will end next Tuesday

• Need to Believe in Something

I believe that there has to be a beginning to everything. The only explanation is that God created everything. Plus, life is hard. Really hard. I don't know what I'd do if I didn't feel like I was being watched over and protected. I need to believe that He's there for me.

• I don't believe in God as a person, but I do believe in his power as a figure.

I do not frequently attend church. I don't believe in consistently worshiping a figure when I have no science to base it of of. I am not a complete atheist, but I have trouble believing ideas with no proof.

However, every now and then I think of God and how even if he is just a story, he still helped so many people. Words and stories have power and the belief that someone is always checking up on you just to make sure you are okay is comforting and empowers you.

Recently, their have been many stories of young people committing suicide. Most based off of stress, bullies, or rejection. They believed they had no where to go and that no one was there to help. God helps in that even when you think no one is there, you can always believe that someone is.

Now, I am not saying God will come down from the heavens and pick you up when you fall, but I believe he represents others who are there. You just don't see them yet.

If scientific proof was found, then I would continue my ways of not frequently attending church, but I would still believe in God as a figure/moral.

• Concrete evidence over meaningless beliefs.

Religions were created based on a good intention: to unite people and encourage social well-being. Sadly it is achieving the exact opposite, as people around the world, especially those who practice extremism, are committing in discrimination, hatred, and mostly, segregation. Social injustices are often even justified by some misinterpreted religious quotes! If moderate religious people are actually using their belief for a good cause, it should not be disturbed by any means. But we need some concrete evidence to stop the mindless spread of religious extremism that is still breaking our society apart.

• Proof is proof.

You have to ask yourself, what is the actual point in believing in something that has been scientifically proven to not exist? You would be ignoring irrefutable evidence. Illogical, right? That's like being in a courtroom and continuing to feign ignorance and plead innocent despite there being scientific evidence proving your guilt.

• Im already atheist...

I already believe there is no god and science has already proven it. If there was some breakthrough in the near future such as the one in the question, that would lead me to just doubt religion more than I already do. I don't see the reason for someone to hold on to those types of beliefs after they have been proven wrong.

• At that point it would be real ignorance.

As an atheist, I already don't believe in God, but I don't mind people who do. However, if there were definitive proof telling us that there was no God, anyone who still continued to believe in one would be knowingly ignoring information. No "faith" would be involved after that, only sheer denial. There would be no point.

• It would be illogical to believe. Reason is a powerful thing.

Also on the other hand, if there was any evidence proving the existence of a deity it would be illogical to not believe. Worshipping that deity would be another thing entirely. The deities men have created are immoral and laughable with a few good deeds in between.

Some professional scientists worship deities. How can you expect to reason with an average person who's never given a thought to anything beyond the tips of their nose?

• No reason to follow religion

First, I would like to point out that most of the people that replied yes did not answer the question. They said that science could never disprove the existence of God, when that was not the question that was asked. Religion only restricts the way people live. The only reason why one should follow it is from fear of retaliation by their God. Secondly, If science proved that God did not exist, then following a religion would provide no spritiual fufillment and joy ( one of the only positive aspects of religion). Therefore, society would better if they discard religion entirely in this scenario.

• If science honestly disproved God, with true in your face evidence...

No I wouldn't believe. It would just be downright ignorant at that point. Science already proved evolution; for me to not believe in evolution would make me stupid. However it could work the opposite way as well...If science proved God every atheist would have to believe in God. To not, would just be ignorant as well.

• I already don't believe in "God"

I'm not a believer, but I do believe in the power of us humans. If there was real evidence, almost every believer would be in denial, so deep into it. Because all those acts of God would be simply because, well, luck or because who ever was there had the power to change the outcome.

Still, I think ghosts are real.

• It's the idea that counts for me

More than anything, I follow religious ideology rather than the doctrine. If there was hard evidence stating that God does not exist, I would still follow the generally "be a good person" guidelines that most religions set forth, but I would not do it because God says so, I would do it because that's what's best for society.

• There would be no point.

I am Christian, however I strongly agree with science. If there was concrete evidence that god does not exist I wouldn't be religious anymore. Religion is how some people understand our history and how things were created, and what happens after death. If there was scientific evidence that tells us our history and what happens after death, religion has no ground to stand on anymore, it would be pointless to keep being religious.

Vox_Veritas says2014-11-15T22:21:33.140
Possibly. Depends on how strong my faith was.
Bruinshockeyfan says2014-11-16T04:29:50.170
Just to let you guys know, i created this to see how many people would say yes. Glad no one hasnt
Vox_Veritas says2014-11-16T04:49:27.087
That'd have to be one heck of a scientific breakthrough...
Bruinshockeyfan says2014-11-16T05:17:38.947
Even if there was, some idiots would be in denial. Theres fools out there who believe the earth is 2,000 years old, flat, and the center of the universe.
Vox_Veritas says2014-11-16T05:19:20.737
You are aware that's a gross misportrayal of Creationism, right?
Mr.Chorlton says2014-11-16T18:25:27.333
The question is only relevant to people who are religious now. An atheist cannot answer the question seeing as though they don't believe now.