• Yes, I think that he went too far.

Filip Konowal stabbed a bootlegger because he be up his friend. I think that it was good that he stood up for his friend, but he ended up killing the guy. I think that his intentions were noble, but because of his mental health from the war, he went too far and ended up killing someone who did not need to die.

• Yes, but he was ill.

Konowal did not attempt to flee the scene; when police came, the First World War veteran stated "I've killed fifty-two of them, that makes the fifty-third." Veterans rallied around his cause and raised enough money to bail Konowal in October 1919; the trial ended up being postponed three times, finally beginning in 1921. After extensive tests, it was discovered that Konowal was suffering from serious medical problems stemming from war wounds: pressure on his brain was increasing and his condition was continually deteriorating. Medical experts unanimously agreed that a wartime gunshot wound to the head was likely making Konowal mentally unstable, causing flashbacks to the war's battles. The jury agreed and he was found not guilty by reason of insanity, then institutionalized for seven years. By the end of this period, his condition had improved dramatically, and he was released from a Montreal mental hospital in 1928.

• There is no excuse.

There is no excuse for a WWI vet to have stabbed a bootlegger. It is important to have enforcement of the law. It is also understandable that a person who has been in WWI would have some scars that would prevent him from behaving in an appropriate way. However, stabbing someone is going too far, because he should have known that was inappropriate conduct.

• Yes, he took justice into his own hands

It is my belief that Filip Konowal went too far by stabbing the bootlegger. Although his military service should be respected, and although his anger at the bootlegger is understandable, Konowal should have understood that it would have been more appropriate for the bootlegger to face justice in a court of law.