Year-round school: Will getting rid of summer vacation be tolerable?

• Summer break is too long

Summer break is too long, all it causes is needless review. I only recently graduated high school so I believe I have the best input. Summer break does need to happen though, however it should only be a month long, students do need a break. A month break is long enough and the missing days can be given as days off, three day weekends, which everyone loves.

• Kids these days are idiots.

When I was in 8th grade I was taking Algebra 2, while some kids struggled to even comprehend algebra 1. I believe that year round school would make our kids smarter and America better. Students who are struggling can simply hire a tutor! I other countries such as Japan new innovations are being made daily, make their tech light years ahead of ours. In order to have a better, and smarter America we should have year round schooling. So we can have less vegetable brains and more Scholars who are doing something with their lives.

• Kids these days are idiots.

• Our children need year round schooling

Over time, we will all get used to year-round schooling. What's more important is that our children need the instruction. Right now, the majority of our children, and certainly those in poverty, cannot globally compete. Why are we doing this to them? We are setting them up for failure....Drugs and violence. The fault lies with those that can make a change. And we can. And we should.

• Yes We should get rid of summer vacation

I think we should get rid of summer vacation for because over the break not a lot of kids do things that are educational which means that it is very hard for the teachers to get the kids to remember the things that they had learned that passed year. This is why we should get rid of the summer break.

• Summer Vacation Results in Two to Three Months of Needless Review

Studies have shown that summer vacation results in a loss of knowledge that requires the first two to three months of school to reteach the 'unlearned' lessons. What could students be doing during this time if they didn't have to review? Due to my relatively neutral nature, though, I must acknowledge that there have been no conclusive studies that connect improved student performance with a lack of summer vacation. I do not like that many people are simply arguing against it simply because they will lose a long vacation; without summer vacation in the way, one can get about a week of vacation per month (and isn't that fun? I'd honestly rather have a week off from school every month than to have one giant two month long chunk of 'school's out for summer!!!!!' in the way of my continued education.

My argument, therefore hinges on logically-correct-but-unproven ideas (no review = more time to learn new things = higher achieving students) and a rebuttal directed specifically toward those who believe that a lack of summer vacation would result in unhappy students.

If the reader would like to learn more about this issue, it is suggested that they research it and come to their own conclusion, then post those results here in order to incite the debate further.

• Yes I think school should be year around winter, spring, summer and fall!

Yes school should be year around.
    Did you know if school is year around you'll have about one week of no school a month! That adds up to about the same amount of time when you don't have school during the summer, maybe a little more because of holidays.
    And the school will have to get air conditioner then you won't suffer during the summer like you suffer at the end or beginning of the school year from the scorching heat when it's not year around.
    So that concludes my mine easy about year around school
    BY: MYA

• Harsh reality americans

First of all who cares if children are arguing this issue in the first place they have no jobs and don't work all they have to do is sit in a classroom. It may come as a shock to them but real life and jobs does not come with 3 month vacations the entire summer every summer. Kids especially high school students need to come to terms with working when they don't want too schools have AC so no argument about warm weather and no one in urban or suburban schools farms. You can call me what you want but I am entitled to my opinion. I agree with short breaks here and there sure but 3 months is ridiculous. This is one of the reasons a lot of the world thinks we are a joke seriously.

• Kids need breaks

I was a student in the YR schedule. I loved the little breaks. My family could take trips during those down times. I got a small break from the constant pressures of schools. Summers didn't seem to just go on and on. We spent less time reviewing material from previous years. Now, as a parent with kids on traditional scheduling (and with new policies like truancy), I can't decide to take my own children for a day anywhere. We have to limit family trips to only two times a year...The same time as EVERYONE ELSE. This makes the family vacation much more expensive, more time pressed, and less relaxing. Taking my kids out for doctor appts or needs to handle other errands involving them runs me the risk of having the authorities on my butt when I could have just had the break periods to do these things.

• Have Four Three-Week Vacations Instead

Getting rid of summer vacation is tolerable because most modern schools have this magical device called air conditioning. Most buildings have the innovation as standard equipment now. Summer vacation was originally so kids could help their parents on the farm during the warm months. That doesn't seem to be a viable reason for urban or suburban schools to miss three months out of the year. Yes, more tax money will be needed. However, year-round school is the only way America can compete with the rest of the world on an educational level.

• They'll cry, but do it anyway

As a child I loved my vacation, but as an adult I see how spoiled, entitled and lazy it made me. "What do you mean when I get a job theres no more vacation?" Suck it up young me. There's no vacation as an adult it's 365 days of work a year, and kids need school to be job practice. After all, the average human is useless unless they're a well oiled cog in the system right?

• Children and teenagers need breaks just as much as adults do.

Adults forget the difficulties teenagers and children face during their time as students. There is constant stress of failing since there are so many challenges and new things coming their way. Students wake up too early for school, they learn things that they can barely remember since they're so exhausted and going to bed early is hardly an option with the piles of homework and projects. Plus the teachers tell you that if you wish you succeed you must study for hours and hours. Where in all of this will kids and teenagers have time for sports, friends, family, volunteering, part time jobs, chores and time to relax? What happened to wanting children to enjoy life? Did adults really get so selfish that they want to deprive children of their only downtime in a chaotic world?

• This is foolish

Why we must get rid of summer, without summer we would have a lot of stress we would have long term psychology problem.Kids need breaks.................................... .................... . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

• It makes students stressed out

In 1904, Bluffton, Ind., became a pioneer in year-round education when it incorporated a four-quarter schedule into one of its schools. Soon, extended school calendars started to spread across the United States, but World War II halted the movement because students were sent to farms and factories to work during the summer in order to help the war effort.

It wasn’t until the 1960s that the idea of year-round education was revived when Park Elementary School in Hayward, Calif., became the first to implement the system since before World War II. Today, Park Elementary remains the longest-running YRE program in the United States.

In a Niche survey of more than 800 users, the results show that class start dates are pretty varied in the United States today.

• Learning is important

Yeah, the kids will stay in school longer to learn more, but eventually they will get bored and uninterested. They will stop learning and lose knowledge! If they have vacation, they are refreshed and ready for more school. But it is really unfair to the children that they want to take it away. Did you ever think about that?

• I strongly disagree

I just think that kids will not be able to function year round like that. Not all learning takes place in a classroom, so how are they supposed to learn about things outside school is they spend 11-12 months out of a year sitting in a desk? It just wouldn't work.

• Students need a break! There is so much testing and homework, and we dont even get paid!

Since about March this year, Ive been counting down the days until summer break. Summer break is great because kids can be kids, and dont have to be worried about homework, their grades, when somethings due, rushing in the morning, forgetting stuff, detention, etc. If school was year round and their were breaks of 2 or 3 weeks, teachers would still assign homework, and children would never have that "freedom" feeling anymore. Im in 6th grade, so I know. Id rather have a job that payes me to go to school, because I only learn 1/3 of the time im there. The rest is easy, or teachers waste time, or students fool around.

• Children are not pawns!

The main reason for getting rid of summer vacation that I've seen is that America wants to beat out other countries. They don't understand that children are not pawns that can be used at the government's disposal. They deserve the summer vacation, and not to be used like game pieces.

• It wouldn't just be bad for students

It would also be bad for the recreation and pyrotechnic industry. Water parks and theme parks would not get enough visitors in the summer due to school, and firework sales during Fourth of July would decrease. Basically if summer vacation goes, some of the economy will go too. Also, there are still kids who work on farms, so agiculture would drop too.

• School sucks so much

That's just to much school for anyone. 12 years of ongoing school is murder. You're asking kids to fail because they'll burn out unrealistically fast. Two months is necessary to get yourself ready again. I'm glad I'm done with school because I would drop out if they took away my summers