You are driving. Alone. Up ahead is a four-way stop. You know that chances are better than 8 to 1 that you could blow the stop sign without problem. Do you stop anyway?

Asked by: bigdave
  • Almost three fourths of car accidents occur at stop signs.

We could reduce accidents, insurance costs, medical costs etc by a huge amount by simply obeying the traffic control device.
    "Stop sign violations accounted for about 70% of all crashes. Among crashes not involving stop violations, rear-end crashes were most common, accounting for about 12% of all crashes. In about two-thirds of stop sign violation crashes, drivers said they had first come to a stop. In these cases, inability or failure to see approaching traffic often was cited as the cause of the crash. Drivers younger than 18 as well as drivers 65 and older were disproportionately found to be at fault in crashes at stop signs." - Source National Institutes of Health,

• Yes yes yes

I was driving home with my younger sister after I school one day and I stopped at a stop sign. Now there were trees on the passenger side hiding the view of my car until you actually stopped at the stop sign and looked. I went to go right as a truck blew through it without stopping. He was going pretty freaking fast and honestly if I inched any closer he would have rammed into my sister. You should ALWAYS stop at a stop sign because who knows, you may try to run it at the same time someone else tries because both of you were to careless and lazy to stop for just a second

• Yes. We should.

You never know, following that stop sign just may save you from an unexpected event, despite your assumption. Once when I was riding my moped, a car that had a stop sign assumed no problem to keep going since he did not see any cars coming. I ended up running into him because he did not heed the stop sign. From his decision to pass the stop sign, I ended up colliding with his truck. I think we should always stop no matter what.

• It's the law.

The simple answer is that a stop sign is the law not a suggestion. I have an intersection that I use and frequently am the only car in sight. I also have a family to think about. Why would I compromise them with taking any chances that would leave them without a dad or husband?

• No cop no stop.

Why do I need to stop at a stop sign when there's nobody there and all it ever does is waste gas? Like seriously, who gives a sh^t? I'm a motherf^ckin boss; I don't need to be listening some damm sign. F^ck the police, no cop no stop hell yeah

• If there is no one coming

Because I don't want to waste more fuel re-accelerating. If you come to a stop and re-accelerate you will get less miles to the gallon. This one time why I was driving my mothers Prius I was getting 47.3 miles to the gallon when I stopped at the stop sign; when I started to accelerate my gas mileage was 47.2, that's a waste of gas!