• Young and disrespectful

Yes, and in this day and time young people don't care about respect for you, the elderly, women, or simply no one. I have seen it with my own eyes and it is not good. I have seen young men walk around with their pants sagging, no respect for no one.

• Yes, it's getting worse

I'm only 26 but already see the younger generation as not knowing what it is to respect your elders. I was always taught exactly that, to respect your elders, nowadays it seems to come down to "why should I?" Or "only if they respect me.." That's not the way it works, and not the way I was always shown.. Fair enough if you don't like someone personally, then simply don't like them! But do it respectfully and with a little class. Life can be hard and sometimes harder for others at some time, but there's not much in the world today that hasn't already been seen, most likely from an elder you know. Sometimes it's better to nod your head and say "yeah ok then" and go think about it' rather than trying to find the argument in the situation and trying to figure out why you should be/will be right... And sometimes you are 100% right but out of "respect" you may need to concede and not be so right..
    Yes there is a lot more information available today and maybe it's true that today's generation is "smarter" than yesterdays, but nothing compares to life experience and when it comes down to it maybe respect is that, maybe you know better but you keep it quiet so you don't shame your aunts up or you don't yell out the correct answer over your uncle or you don't Argue with a decision your mother or father made. Maybe it's as blatant as "you're wrong and I'm right" but still out of RESPECT you take the moral higher ground and keep quiet this time...

Or maybe I'm living in the past and times are changing....

Sorry in advance for anyone this offends (maybe it's the few drinks I've had tonight talking) but it's not aimed at any one person or group, just something I think has been happening today (but hopefully not in the near future...)

• Yes, but it's still different.

Yes, I think that today's young generation respects authority, at least most of them do. I think that the way young people view authority in 2013, however, is very different from the way young people viewed authority in, say, the 1960s. I think that with new technology etc., kids feel they can get away with more things, and a lot of the time, they can.

• As much as they ever did.

The problem isn't with a lack of respect for authority, it's with a lack of authority. Kids today are brought up thinking that taking one good spank and being told 'That was wrong and disrespectful, don't do that.' is abuse. Parents are so afraid of what society might think of them that they have been disgustingly lax in disciplining their children. If a child is raised thinking throwing a tantrum will get their way and they own the house, it really isn't their fault that they think authority figures are there to cater to their whims. So, yes, I believe today's youth do respect authority, they just have a difficult time discerning who, exactly, is in charge.

• Society is deteriorating

But the problem is two sided. Yes kids have been raised with less respect due to changes in discipline styles that emerged in the 1980s and many kids came home from school and both parents worked so kids did their own thing. Also, the internet has provided some information about what authority can and can't get away with. In the past police could get away with more. However, some young people are misinformed about laws and act shocked when they push the line and get tackled and handcuffed. Because they never experienced that before.

• No respect whatsoever.

Young people think they know it all. They are argumentive-show no respect-demonstrate poor work ethics-and want the world. Life experience means absolutely nothing to them. In a position of authority myself I find this being a challenge each and everyday. The younger generation will abandon their jobs in anger-- no comittment.

• 'Authority' is not to be respected; 'Experience', 'Class', 'Self-respect' does.

Just because you're in a position of authority and can yell loudly doesn't mean you warrant respect. First you have to have self-respect, -then- you deserve respect from others.
    Simply demanding it from other people because they are younger than you doesn't fly in my book. Life experience? The fact that you have watched the clock tick more times than someone else?

• People expect too much

For young people they need to be shown that something good comes from the authority, you don't get something out of nothing, prove that it is worthy of the respect and they will perhaps respect it. The younger generation are less prone to take things as they are and are more likely to question why things should be this way. If you don't like something or someone telling you what to do, why should you respect it/them.

• Younger generations never respect authority.

It is a generational thing that the 'young' generation is seen as disrespectful and that they don't fear or value authority. It's not indicative of this generation, but just of young people in general. Brain wise, they don't see long term effects as easily as adults and they have little fear. It leads to not respecting authority.

• No they don't

No, I would have to disagree that today's young generation respects authority. However, what young generation ever did actually respect authority? I think that disrespecting authority and having absolute carelessness is part of being young. We were once young and most likely did not respect authority. How can we debate this and not be hypocrites?

• Some, not all.

Some of today's young generation respect authority but the vast majority do not. Parents do not take the time to teach the proper values to children. Instead, they are wrapped up in work and other things. Unfortunately, it is a necessity for both parents to work with the economy, but children still need to have the parents teach them the values that were taught to us.