BurbankUSA.com has been recognized by Juggle as one of the top city government websites in the state of California. Below you'll find an interview with Keith Sterling, Public Information Officer for the City of Burbank.
- Can you summarize the history of Burbank's web portal?
The City of Burbank developed a web presence in the mid 1990’s. A team of city employees designed a new web site which went on-line in 2000. It made information from all departments accessible on-line; however, over the years it became evident that new features and increased inter-activity were needed. In 2008/2009, working with Vision Internet, the City debuted the current site.
- What are the overarching objectives of Burbank's current e-government initiatives?
We strive to make our e-government outreach easily accessible and informative for all of our audiences: residents, businesses and visitors.
- From a marketing standpoint, what are some of the strategies that you have utilized to draw attention to the information and services provided by BurbankUSA.com, both on- and off-line?
Our web site name is used in all of our other media. It’s on the city newsletter, monthly utility bill inserts, and the bulletin board on our cable TV channel. During our weekly TV news program we mention the website as a source for further information.
- How has citizen feedback influenced the development of Burbank's e-government services?
We try to anticipate what features our users would need and make them available. We have also used the input from citizens to determine what features are most wanted, such as on-line bill paying and a search function.
- What is the most-used feature or service on the site?
Among the popular features of the Burbank web site are the park and recreation class registration forms, City Council meeting agendas and videos, and the calendar of events. People can also pay their utility bills and their parking tickets on-line.
- How has live-streaming and hosting public meeting videos online enhanced accessibility of city government information?
Burbank has aired live meetings and hours of original programming for years on our cable channel. Since we have added to our web site the archived meetings and live streaming of our TV channel, it has tremendously enhanced our citizens’ access to city government information.
- Where do you see e-government heading in the next 2-3 years? Are there any exciting new features or services currently in the works for Burbank's web portal?
As a city that is home to many major media companies, Burbank strives to maintain a top quality web site to go with our top quality City services. Since so many people access their information through their phones, we have recently debuted a mobile phone version of the web site. This offers our web site formatted in a way which makes it easier for citizens to view and access the site on their phones. We are continuing to add more on-line services; coming up soon is an on-line job application.
- What else that you would like to tell us about BurbankUSA.com?
We remain responsive to our citizens and will continue to add information and features to the website.