anc2006
policy-debate

0 divided by 0 has no answer

policy-debate has forfeited round #2.
Started: 7/6/2019 Category: Fashion

anc2006

Con

0/0 has an answer. Because 10x0=0 and 30x0=0, And so on and any number times 0 is 0 thus 0/0 can be any number. Saying it has no answer means nothing can be 0/0, Which is false consider the real answer is: anything.
policy-debate

Pro

While your logic is rather well put together and I was almost convinced, There's a hole you seem to have missed. Let's step back and think about the definition of division. Basically, It's: I have x number of things and I split it into y number of groups. That equals x/y. So 0/0 translates to: if I have no things, And split them into no categories, How many things do I have in each category (which doesn't exist)? If I have no things in no categories, I cannot have 30 things per category.
anc2006

Con

Good 1, Policy.

"That equals x/y. So 0/0 translates to: if I have no things, And split them into no categories, How many things do I have in each category (which doesn't exist)? If I have no things in no categories, I cannot have 30 things per category. "

This is the only thing we practically disagree on

Suppose you have no categories and nothing, How many things can fit into 1 category?

Imagine X=30, So u have 30 things per category, Then because you have none, Thus you have none of this thing.

Try with any other numbers and you will always get nothing.

Suppose "everything but infinity" is a variable called "m", Then we talk. It cannot be infinity because Infinity times zero practically would equal to "m", As the definition above says. Try to figure out the logic.

With these being said, 0m=0 (m x 0 = 0), And we put is backwards, It will be 0/0=m.
Posted by zapshe 2 months ago
zapshe
Thought I'd elaborate. Saying 0/0 is equal to "anything" doesn't work. When you divide something, You want to see HOW MUCH of one number can you fit inside the other. Sure, We can fit 1, 2, 10, 214, Etc. , But they don't satisfy the equation. Yes 0 goes into 0 100213 times, But that's not the maximum number. 4/2 = 2. Sure, 2 goes into 4 1 time, 0 times, And 1. 5 times, But they don't satisfy the equation.

Now, You say 0/0 would equal infinity. Sure, Which infinity? Now you have two answers that are the exact opposite of each other. Neither one works. It goes against logic and mathematics. There's no answer. Believe me, The greatest mathematicians of all time said there's no answer that would satisfy the rules of mathematics or the physical world, You're opinion on this isn't changing anything.
Posted by zapshe 2 months ago
zapshe
"Even if that, I accept, That 0/0 still has an answer. Do i need to explain this to you? Because anything times 0 is 0 thus 0/0 can be anything. "

No. Imagine you're calculating some actual real life stuff. Saying 0/0 can equal anything while ruin anything you're doing. It would also make 1/x not a function. It goes against all rules of mathematics, There's no answer.

Also, Anything times 1 is itself. The opposite is also true. Anything divided by 0 is itself. So, Your explanation of 0 doesn't come from any stable rules. There's a reality you have to accept.
Posted by anc2006 2 months ago
anc2006
Even if that, I accept, That 0/0 still has an answer. Do i need to explain this to you? Because anything times 0 is 0 thus 0/0 can be anything.
Posted by zapshe 2 months ago
zapshe
*sigh*. . Do I really have to explain this?

Lets say I ask some question and you answer "there's no answer". I can then say "Aha! You said there's no answer which is in of itself an answer! " That's basically what you just did. "Undefined" or "Undetermined" is just like saying there's no answer.
Posted by anc2006 2 months ago
anc2006
Great i can give up on this one, Because i have other things to do, But even undetermined is an answer. No question have no answer.
Posted by zapshe 2 months ago
zapshe
"Which also explains how infinity is the reciprocal of 0. "

Uhh, No.

"You can actually graph infinity. And because infinity and negative infinity is the same, The number line actually is in a circle. "

Err. . Umm. . . Definitely not.

Infinity is NOT a number, It's a concept. Pi is infinite. There's an unending set of numbers past the decimal point. 0/0 is not infinity.

Perhaps you're unaware, But when graphing, You sometimes want to have the boundaries of the graph. For example, (0, INF). This graph starts at 0 and goes to infinity. There's NO confusion here. The graph continues infinitely to the right. Or (-INF, 0). The graph comes from an infinitely far away point from the LEFT and stops at 0. OR (-INF, INF). The graph goes from negative infinity all the way to positive infinity.

Infinity and negative infinity are NOT the same.

"The number line actually is in a circle. "

Believe me, It isn't.

"Sorry, But i am not in high school yet. "

So you haven't done Calculus? Let's say you have an equation to graph, F(x) = (10/x)

When you graph this, You can sketch a rough graph of this from the top of your head. However, You'll find that at 0, You have one lines going infinitely up and another going infinitely down. This is the issue with dividing by 0. Is the answer going to be infinity or negative infinitely?

Look at the second graph: http://www. Sagemath. Org/calctut/onesided. Html

One line is infinitely up, The other infinitely down. Which is the answer? You look at 1, 2, 3, Or -1, -2, -3, And there are definite points on the graph. It's a function, One x value has ONLY one y value. But notice if you try to find 0, There are now two possibilities.

In the case here on the first graph (1/x^2): http://www. Dsearls. Org/courses/M132BusinessCalc/Samples/InfiniteLimits. Htm

You could say that it's going to infinity, But only the limit of the function itself. 1/0 would still be infinitely and negative infinity.
Posted by anc2006 2 months ago
anc2006
You can actually graph infinity. And because infinity and negative infinity is the same, The number line actually is in a circle. It is at either end of the number line while the zero is in the middle, Which also explains how infinity is the reciprocal of 0.
Posted by anc2006 2 months ago
anc2006
Sorry, But i am not in high school yet. The original owner gave me the permission to use this account, So here i am.
Posted by zapshe 2 months ago
zapshe
I want you to graph infinity and negative infinity. *shakes head*. It would be surprising if you passed highschool with any decent grades. Have fun.
Posted by anc2006 2 months ago
anc2006
and btw, The video proved just how the positive and negative infinity is the same.