flaming.liberal
Blahwheel

"13 Reasons Why" Has Done More Good Than Harm

flaming.liberal

flaming.liberal

Con

Anyone interested in debating this topic, please write your case first and I will try to refute what you have said.

Thanks
Blahwheel

Pro

Please write your case first and I will try to refute what you have said.
flaming.liberal

Con

Okay, so I'm going to present a sliver of what I would like to say, and then I will refute my opponents point.

Terms:
13 Reasons Why: a show on Netflix about a girl in high school who commits suicide, and leaves behind a series of tapes.
"Good than harm": it has resulted in more benefits that harms

1. Scapegoating Important Issues
-After facing backlash from the public for horrific scenes of rape, suicide, sodomy, beatings, and more, the shows creators defended the show by saying, "we are bringing light to issues that people deal with everyday. It may not be the prettiest thing to watch, and some of the scenes are very harsh, but it still brings light to different issues." Ultimately, this just isn't true. Yes, it may bring some sort of light to these issues, but really, it does it in the worst way possible. 12 Reasons Why's main defense is, "we giving people awareness," but showing scenes of people being raped, murdered, on drugs, and getting sodomized brings no more awareness to these serious issues than just talking about them. They say, "we are helping people," but they aren't. They are literally profiting off of depicting suicide, and other issues instead of actually addressing them.

Not to mention that these depictions can be super triggering and unhealthy. Many teens have been killing themselves over disturbing images. A boy committed suicide, then left tapes, similar to Hannah. 13 Reasons Why teaches children that committing suicide is a way to get revenge on people, when this isn't.

Interested to hear your response.

Thanks
Blahwheel

Pro

Wait how many reasons why is it?
flaming.liberal

Con

???
Just respond to what I said in my response
Vote Placed by RMTheSupreme 3 years ago
RMTheSupreme
flaming.liberalBlahwheelTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro tried to be clever and ask Con why they didn't give 13 reasons why the resolution is true but what Pro forgot in their trolling is that they were Pro, not Con. This was a completely thwarted trolling attempt where I don't think the trolled party even caught on to what was happening which is the best way to anti-troll.