liamjohnson
Sirtycolt3

A straw has two holes

liamjohnson has forfeited round #2.
Updated: 3 years ago Status: Debating Period

liamjohnson

Pro

A straw has two holes. Not really sure how this is debatable. If you actually think that a straw has one hole then I hope you have packed your bags for Hell. If you were to cover up a hole on a straw, how many holes would it have then? HALF A HOLE?!?!?!?!?! I think not. So listen, cast your opinions and by opinions, I mean either being correct or a total slug idiot. I better not see any typos either.
Sirtycolt3

Con

Wow. I have never even thought of such an argument could exist before now, but what you bring up is a valid point. All I have to say is straws due have one hole, as a hole is characterized as any gap between two surfaces through a medium where there is missing matter. Basically, a hole is a gap where there should be something but there isn't. You could debate that a hole in a straw is designed and intended so a straw isn't really a hole in a cylinder but rather a sheet of plastic that has been rolled, or you could say that it does have a hole, but only one hole.

The latter of the options is possible, as a hole can be characterized as anything that is missing matter, by having this hole extend to the other side you don't create a second hole, but rather just extended the hole beyond the second side. By covering up one side you still have a hole as a hole doesn't need an ending to be considered a hole.