Arganger
Nomnik

ABA Should be Banned

Nomnik has forfeited round #1.
Updated: 3 years ago Status: Debating Period

Arganger

Pro

ABA: Applied Behavior Analysis.
A type of therapy used to stop behaviors and force others using adverisives and rewards. Normally used in time frames of 40+ hours a week, in an attempt to make autistic people (Normally children) act less autistic.

I am for banning ABA.

You are for keeping it legal.

Keeping in mind that some therapists call themselves ABA, when they aren't true ABA as to get covered by insurance.
Posted by asta 3 years ago
asta
+ Aranger
If I debated with you on this, I would probably lose. You know more about this than I do. I didn't even know what ABA was until this debate formed. I'm curious with a bias. I think your debating Nomnik on this anyway, so someone else already grabbed the spot. I may watch.

But if the autistic kid wants it to stop (which the autistic kid probably would anyways if it's so painful) then it shouldn't be performed anymore. However, if the autistic kid was absolutely gritted and determined to fix their physical and/or mental behaviors in order to act less autistic, and the fidget spinner or the notebook or the stress ball doesn't work for them, and if they absolutely are determined to blend in and are willing to fight until they are non frigidity anymore, then they can endure the pain if they consent to it.

People consent to more painful things then ABA. As an example, the military consent to the pain of only getting 4 hours of sleep a week while they are probably working out as well. This lasts for a month. Is it more painful to do extremely tough workouts They aren't enduring it for fun, they are doing it to meet the standards of a solider. Just as the autistic person would endure the ABA in order to meet the standards of a normal person.

Like the soldiers, the autistics consented to the pain and they can leave anytime they want to (that option might not apply to a solider)
Posted by Arganger 3 years ago
Arganger
I'll answer your ps first. Go to your profile by clicking on your current picture and pressing "View profile".

Then click on "Edit profile" which is below your current picture on your profile.

Click the tab that says "Picture."

ABA generally wouldn't give the person a notebook, or a stim toy to redirect their needs. If we go back to what I posted for you to read:
https://juststimming.wordpress.com...

In this case they forced her to not flap by every time she flapped sticking her hands in glue, which for her was a highly painful thing. Rather then handing her something else to stim with quieter like a fidget.

So here is how the process tends to work:
Identify behavior they don't like
Find out what the kid likes and dislikes
withhold the thing they like until they stop
If they stop, reward
If they don't, use something they don't like.
Continue for hours.

Anyway, if you want to continue this, I would like you to just accept the debate, as I have arguments I would like to hold off on until I'm debating it.
Posted by asta 3 years ago
asta
@ Araganger

Can ABA make someone who wants to be or wants to act less autistic succeed in their efforts?

I said a lot of political information in class. I often spouted conservative information in class. When I got a notebook to write the information down, the political blurt outs decreased.

You used an example of someone who was obsessed with their hands moving excessively. Giving an autistic person a squeeze ball to occupy their hands or a fight spinner can help the autistic person calm down their hands.

I met a kid who's name was "Robert" and he was obsessed with Sasquatch and the power rangers; even more so than I was with politics. If he had a journal, then he could write down what he thinks about and that could prevent him from saying it out loud. It could also make him realize how excessive it is which could try to stop him from blurting out that phrase in the future.

Every page he writes about his topic, a cookie could be given to him or a similar reward.

The parents pay for it; not the state.

P.S. How do get a picture on your screen?
Posted by Arganger 3 years ago
Arganger
@asta

Because of the nature of autism, being a neurodevelopmental disorder, one cannot get rid of there autism. It is the physical structure of the brain, and no amount of ABA can change that.

https://spectrumnews.org...
Posted by asta 3 years ago
asta
Is there a citation that says that masking causes health problems?

Even though the parent shouldn't be allowed to decide whether or not ABA should have to take place, should the autistic be allowed to at least try ABA and if they like it, or even respect it, then can they continue with it? However, if they don't like it, then they can stop ABA.

If autistic people want to change, why not let them? If they remove their autism, then they will be less embarrassed in the long term.
Posted by Arganger 3 years ago
Arganger
Never heard of it being used on pedophiles. Could you link an article?
Posted by EmeryP 3 years ago
EmeryP
Isn't ABA some of the only realistic treatment for Pedophila?

Unless your restricting your argument to those who are Autistic or Gay, I am willing to oppose you on this debate.
Posted by Arganger 3 years ago
Arganger
asta
I sure as heck do. It's like forced masking. (Masking is when an autistic, more commonly autistic woman, works to hide autistic behaviors to fit in. It is linked to worse mental health outcomes.)

Parents who don't know better pay thousand of dollars to forget that behaviors have reason. It tends to pray on lower functioning autistics as well, who cannot as easily stand up for themselves. Countless autistics have been traumatized by it.

I want to save most of my reasoning for the debate if someone accepts it. However, consider reading this:
https://juststimming.wordpress.com...
Posted by asta 3 years ago
asta
As someone who suffers from autism, I don't see what's wrong with a reward punishment system for acting less autistic.
Posted by Arganger 3 years ago
Arganger
CJames If the debate isn't accepted by three days left, I will remove those requirements.

However, they are in place to prevent trolls.