Arganger
Nomnik

ABA Should be Banned

Nomnik has forfeited round #1.
Updated: 3 years ago Status: Debating Period

Arganger

Pro

ABA: Applied Behavior Analysis.
A type of therapy used to stop behaviors and force others using adverisives and rewards. Normally used in time frames of 40+ hours a week, in an attempt to make autistic people (Normally children) act less autistic.

I am for banning ABA.

You are for keeping it legal.

Keeping in mind that some therapists call themselves ABA, when they aren't true ABA as to get covered by insurance.
Posted by CJames 3 years ago
CJames
Just so it's understood, I am not giving my stances in this comment, just pointing out that the requirements set by the OP limit the field of debate, and the integrity by which debate can happen.

Your basic requirements for accepting the debate is that the opposition must actually agree with you, but just play devil's advocate.

This will weaken the debaters stance.

You won't even allow people whose views are not solidified to take the debate.

What about someone who, for example thinks gay conversion should be optional for those who want it?
OR yes, even those people who are eugenicists and don't feel that 'human rights' belong to everyone?

Those are your opponents, those are the people who you should be debating, as they will give you the greatest intellectual challenge. Even though their opinions are not necessarily moral or popular.
Posted by Arganger 3 years ago
Arganger
Amphia, No, as I wasn't diagnosed until age ten, and the professionals I saw didn't try to go that way. I have had occupational therapy, hippotherapy, and talk therapy.
Posted by Amphia 3 years ago
Amphia
That's interesting. Has anyone ever tried using ABA therapy on you?
Posted by Arganger 3 years ago
Arganger
@Amphia
What they got him to stop was stimming, we do it to regulate emotions and sensory information better, some people also use it to communicate emotions.

My own stims are spinning, rocking, pacing and sometimes hand scratching or biting.

Everyone stims, but autistic people need to do so more than other people because of sensory processing disorder. The only time I can approve of stopping stims is if they are self harmful such as my scratching or biting and the more widely known head banging.

However even in the case of self harmful stims it is better to find replacement stims, and avoid the level of stress that causes them.

ABA treats stimming as meaningless which is part of it's problem. As an autistic never stimming sounds horrific.
Posted by Amphia 3 years ago
Amphia
I think I heard about this somewhere. Some mom's son was autistic so she used some system like this (I don't remember exactly) and in the end he stopped doing things. To say that he engaged in certain behaviors that would seem odd to most people (Some kids with autism do things in patterns, right?) and she said that they got him to stop.