Jukebox101
Kvng_8

Abortion Should be Considered Murder by Law and by Society

Jukebox101

Jukebox101

Pro

Even though it is readily accepted by society, I think that abortion (no matter the stage) should be considered murder. Con should provide substantial logical, Philosophical, And medical reasons why abortion is ethical and should stay accepted by society and the law. I will be arguing the opposite.
Kvng_8

Con

At which stage should it be acceptable?
I believe abortion would be okay in the very early stages in the fetus but I don't support it in the later stages.

Ethical reasons.
I'll let you explain the ethical aspect.

Opening arguments:
A fetus is sentient. About 20 weeks or before it doesn't feel pain. During that stage, It is not a being yet. In order for a murder to happen there must be a being (part of society) that has been unlawfully killed.

Do you think a woman should be forced to have a baby if she gets raped or her health is at risk?

My comment to you. I will elaborate on it.
Let's say abortion isn't acceptable to society and that it's illegal throughout everywhere since it is considered murder. The problem with making abortion illegal is that abortion will still happen regardless. Women will begin to resort to unsafe potentially life threatening methods of abortion. One of the most common forms of unsafe abortion is attempting to break the amniotic sac inside the womb by using a sharp object. Often a clothes hanger or a needle. This could damage the uterine wall and result in death. Another method of unsafe abortions involves creating toxic mixtures with chili peppers, Alum, Lysol, Or pesticides and pumping them into the pregnant woman. This can cause the woman to go into toxic shock and die.

Unsafe abortion is a major cause of maternal mortality and it mostly occurs in parts of the world where abortion is illegal or where trained medical practitioners are not as accessible. According to the World Health Organization, In 2003 almost 42 million pregnancies were voluntarily terminated and 20 million of those were unsafe. 68, 000 women die a year from unsafe abortions.
Jukebox101

Pro

Thank you for accepting this debate (I apologize in advance, I do not know how to underline or bold, So the questions separated by spaces are what you have said).

-If a woman is raped or a victim of incest, Then adoption is a great solution; both the mother and baby would be able to survive and exist (this accounts for W76;1% of pregnancies worldwide).

-If the case that a woman"s health is at risk occurs, Then (1) an abortion does not have to be the only option to save a mother"s life, (2) any treatment that is given to save a woman"s life that results in the death of a preborn child is not a true abortion, Since the primary purpose of the treatment is to save a life, Not take it, (this helps support point one) and (3) these cases are very rare; it is possible that a surgeon could delay treatment of the mother until the fetus reaches a certain stage of development where it is possible to save both lives.

I believe abortion would be okay in the very early stages in the fetus, But I don"t support it in the later stages.

-I would like you to elaborate on this point and explain exactly why you think abortion is okay in the earlier stages.
About 20 weeks or before it doesn"t feel pain. During that stage, It is not a being yet.

-After conception, A zygote has formed. This human zygote is a human being, With the potential to grow. It is not a "potential" or a "possible" human being; the potentiality it possesses is to grow bigger and develop its capacities. Scientifically, There is no question to this fact.

With about 98% of abortions happening due to the fetus not being convenient, Why should the mother"s convenience be elevated above the baby"s opportunity in life and to a full life?

The problem with making abortion illegal is that abortion will still happen regardless.

-This is true; however, With any law that is made, People will disobey it regardless. Outlawing abortion would still drastically reduce the number of abortions performed.

-It is a sad fact that 68, 000 women are killed a year from unsafe abortions; it is an even sadder fact that there are 40-50 million abortions per year. This reduces to approximately 125, 000 per day.

-If we are realistic here, Pretty much all abortions are made due to unexpected pregnancies, Careless promiscuity, And convenience. Since life starts at conception, About 125, 000 lives per day are being killed for selfish reasons. The other reasons for abortion are explained above.

I"ll let you explain the ethical aspect.

Definition of ethics: moral principles that govern a person"s behavior or the conducting of an activity
Abortion inherently is not morally acceptable. It is a planned taking of a life, Due to selfish reasons (which I have elaborated on above). Therefore, It is not bioethical or ethical. Also, No moral principles seem to govern how, When, Or why abortions are performed. This is why I think it should be considered unlawful because it defies ethics. Please understand, I"m not saying that under law abortion is considered murder, But under ethical and moral reasons it is needless killing, And therefore should be considered murder under the law.

Some sources where I have gotten my statistics:

-https://www. Princeton. Edu/~prolife/articles/wdhbb. Html
-http://www. Worldometers. Info/abortions/
-http://www. Life. Org. Nz/abortion/abortionethicalkyissues/motherslifeatrisk/