Attention: Debate.org is closing and the website will be shut down on June 5, 2022. New Topics can no longer be posted and Sign Up has been disabled. Existing Topics will still function as usual until the website is taken offline. Members can download their content by using the Download Data button in My Account.
FreddieMercury
squeakly54n6

Abortion should be illegal

FreddieMercury has forfeited round #3.
Updated: 3 years ago Status: Debating Period

FreddieMercury

Pro

Abortion should most definitely be illegal. It's a human life. It did nothing to deserved death.
squeakly54n6

Con

Because my opponent is not specifying what abortions are ok and which ones aren't, I am going to assume they are against ALL abortions in any context. That being said I'll begin with my argument of why abortion is justified for most scenarios.

" It's a human life. "
- Abortion is not killing if it's done within the first 5 months of pregnancy as in the first 5 months, The fetus isn't even sentient nor has any levels of intelligence. Therefore why should you care about a being that doesn't experience pain nor has a consciousness? If your counter-argument is that at that point in development the fetus has a potential to be alive then you should be against masturbation or women not getting their ovulated eggs fertilized, Which in and of itself is utterly ridiculous.

- Abortion can also be justified if the mother was raped or if a condom breaks. While these events are rare, They still happen and denying an abortion in these scenarios are unfair and possibly deadly if the women are underage.

Case and point, Abortions are justifiable in certain scenarios and therefore should be legal in those situations whether it be the women were raped, If the mother would die in the baby's birth, Or if it's within the first 5 months when the fetus isn't sentient.

Sources,
https://www. Sciencemag. Org. . .
FreddieMercury

Pro

Only about 1% of all abortions are from rapes or incest. So there's no point in that argument. (let's say we both agree that that is the only reason abortion should be legal) Does this justify babies being killed because of convenience? If you pull the "Oh, What about health problems" that's extremely rare too, And is also not an argument.

-*"Abortion is not killing if it's done within the first 5 months of pregnancy as in the first 5 months, "*-

This is the most ridiculous argument that all Pro-Choice debaters point out. Not all abortions are made before the 5 month period. In fact, In some states it's perfectly legal to kill a baby up until the baby leaves the woman's body. As to the argument that these babies can't feel pain, I can agree. They cannot feel pain. But a person in a coma can't feel pain either, They can't think for themselves as well. Let's make a comparison here:

Person in coma (who will definitely be out of the coma in exactly 9 months. ) [HYPOTHETICALLY IF WE KNEW WHEN THEY COME OUT OF COMAS]
Baby in mother (who will definitely be out of the mother's body in around 9 months. )

With this comparison, There should be a 'right' to kill a person in a coma (who definitely will wake up in 9 months), If we can kill a person in a uterus. (who will definitely be out of the uterus in 9 months)

Using the "sentient being" argument is not a good argument.
squeakly54n6

Con

" Does this justify babies being killed because of convenience? "

- Having an unwanted child is not just an inconvenience, Children in poorer families cost a great deal of money to raise whether it be for paying for education, Healthcare, Or food, Children cost a great deal of money to raise. Especially for women in college who most likely barely make enough money to pay for college and food, Let alone an extra mouth to feed. Children also are VERY time consuming which could cause the mother to feel stressed or lose valuable study time. So no having an unwanted child is not just an " inconvenience".

" that's extremely rare too "

- Just because it's rare, Doesn't mean we should just pretend it doesn't exist. Murder statistically doesn't happen often, Does that mean we should just ignore murderers? Besides health problems when it comes to giving birth aren't as rare as you think. There are many issues which arise from a woman giving birth even if the women aren't underage, For example, My mother grew several different food allergies from giving birth, And my boyfriend's mother underwent severe depression and weight issues for years due to giving birth. I won't go into specifics but let's just say this said depression nearly destroyed her life. If your counterclaim would be " these are just rare coincidences, " you're sadly mistaken, There have been many studies on the effects of women giving birth to children, Whether it be physical, Behavioral, Or mental issues, Most women experience these issues shortly after giving birth. I will link some down below in my sources section.

" Not all abortions are made before the 5 month period. In fact, In some states, It's perfectly legal to kill a baby up until the baby leaves the woman's body. "

- You forget that you're not talking to those states or those people, You are talking to me and me alone. As it stands I think unless the women became pregnant outside of their control, The women should have the right to kill a baby in the first 5 months before the baby becomes sentient or intelligent. I don't agree that a woman should be able to abort a baby right before she's able to give birth in most circumstances.

" But a person in a coma can't feel pain either, They can't think for themselves as well. "

- As of right now, We do not know for sure, However recent studies have shown that it is very probable that people in a coma can experience pain while in the state. Assuming that the person doesn't feel pain, I feel as though it would be justifiable for the family of the person in the coma to terminate him if they choose to do so. Although it does depend on the scenario.

" Using the "sentient being" argument is not a good argument. "

- If sentience really doesn't matter to you, Then are you against people unintentionally killing millions of micro bacteria cells, Men masturbating, Or women not fertilizing their eggs?

Sources,
ht tp s:// ww w. Nim h. Nih. G ov/health/pu blicati ons/ postpa rtum-depr essi on-fac ts/ind ex. Sh tml

ht tps ://w w w. J ustan swer. Com/n eur ology/b4 crw-people-coma-fe el-pain- com atose-patien ts. H tml

h ttp :// ww w. Healt htalk. Org/p eo ples-experie nc es/nerv es-br ain/ family-experien ces-vege tativ e-and-mi ni mally-consc ious-st ates /what- coma-and- wh at-veget ative-stat e
Posted by FreddieMercury 3 years ago
FreddieMercury
crap, I forgot about the debate
Posted by SickInTheHeadz 3 years ago
SickInTheHeadz
Why do you accept the debate if you will forfeit at round 3? Did you die or something? The comments gave you so much arguments you could have used.
Posted by squeakly54n6 3 years ago
squeakly54n6
@FreddieMercury

You only have 18 hours left to post your argument for the next round or else it will count as a forfeit just so you are aware. I just want to make sure you understand this as you are new to this website and may not know the rules, I would also like to make sure you post your argument for the next round as I hope we can have a reasonable discussion about this topic.
Posted by SickInTheHeadz 3 years ago
SickInTheHeadz
Your arguments again:
1) Fetus isn't sentient, It doesn't feel pain.
People who are put to sleep by sedation/anesthesia don't feel pain either and aren't sentient while they are asleep. By this logic, I could kidnap anyone, Put him to sleep, And then kill him, And it would be okay because he isn't sentient nor feels pain. What is the difference between a fetus and a person put to sleep by sedatives, That makes it okay to kill one and not the other?

2) fetus isn't a human being
So why is it okay to kill something that isn't a human being? I mean, This kind of logic is an easy rationale to a murder. Hey, You are not me, So it's okay to kill you.

3) Fetus depends on the mother to live
Just like the person I put to sleep depends on me to turn off the gas to survive.
Posted by SickInTheHeadz 3 years ago
SickInTheHeadz
squeakly54n6 You probably feel bad when talking about your childhood. Since the only love you ever experienced was when your dad molested you.
squeakly54n6 Show us on the doll where the daddy touched you
Posted by SickInTheHeadz 3 years ago
SickInTheHeadz
He likes daddy's dick
Posted by squeakly54n6 3 years ago
squeakly54n6
@12InchBeef

You're also blocked too
Posted by SickInTheHeadz 3 years ago
SickInTheHeadz
@squeakly54n6 Say nothing if you like sucking daddy's dick
Posted by 12InchBeef 3 years ago
12InchBeef
@SickInTheHeadz

Yeah I agree squeakly has a -2pp and is bisexual so he should be put to death via an acid vat.
Posted by SickInTheHeadz 3 years ago
SickInTheHeadz
Sad virgin