missjones
Antoine_Wolfgang

Abortion.

missjones has forfeited round #2.
Updated: 3 years ago Status: Debating Period

missjones

Pro

Abortion.

Just to make certain there is no confusion my position on this is PRO. There is no acceptance round - I would simply like my opponent to present his/her case and I will retort with my rebuttal.

Peace out.
Antoine_Wolfgang

Con

In order to answer this question, I must briefly state that I am in fact for the most part a proponent for the 'pro-life' stance, however am not against Abortion in certain instances. I want to clarify that I am in fact not a proponent of such a position because I have moral affiliations to it, however I am somebody who personally believes that the fetus has a 'god given' if you will right to live. Unfortunately, I claim that I am 'for the most part' a proponent for the pro-life stance solely because my perspective of the matter forbids me from dictating whether or not an abortion should take place. I shall elaborate:

To understand my position, we shall divide the question of abortion into 3 separate sections:
1. Cases in which Abortion should not be permitted (Normal circumstances)
2. Cases in which Abortion should be permitted (Baby is parasitical to the mother, slowly killing her)
3. Cases in which my perspective cannot answer. (Rape)

1. I believe that under normal circumstances (Two consensual adults have sex without protection knowing the there is a risk of getting pregnant) that abortion should be forbidden. Although I do believe that a woman has every right to do what she wants with her own body (Under go surgery, tattoo, transplant, etc.) She has every right to do so, as long as that right does not infringe on the right of the fetus. The woman in this case has every right to do what she wants with her body just as a religious person has every right to exercise their religion, just as their right does not infringe on the right of others. In this instance, you are not infringing on either the fetuses right (As you are enabling for it to live) or the right of the mother (As she had the right to choose whether or not become pregnant, thus exercising her original right.) Each of their right is equal and neither shall infringe on the other.

3. I will skip to the instance of rape as the 2nd section is self explanatory from a Utilitarian perspective and I am running low on character count. I have heard both arguments from both sides regarding the matter of rape and unfortunately I cannot coincide my perspective to answering such a dilemma. If you permit the mother to killing the fetus and undergoing an abortion, you are infringing on the rights of the fetus and therefore claiming that the rights of the mother trumps the right of the fetus. However, if you forbid the mother from having an abortion, you are technically infringing on the rights of the mother as she has not been granted the opportunity to exercise her right to choose whether or not to have the fetus in the first place (As she had been forcefully raped)

This argument has yet to delve into a perspective that argues its practicality, rather the questioning of rights. I look forward to hearing your rebuttal.
Posted by Antoine_Wolfgang 3 years ago
Antoine_Wolfgang
I have accepted this debate on the understanding that you hold a position in favor of abortion (Pro-choice). Is this correct?