Anonymous
Kvng_8

Actor Jussie Smollett Shouldn't Be Charged For Allegedly Telling A Fib

Pro

The actor Jussie Smollett could've been telling the truth about is incident in Chicago a few weeks ago despite changing his report a few times. There's definitely no need to apologize because people do the same thing as him on a regular basis. If he lied, Then just let the man sail off into the sunset because this case isn't really a big deal to begin with. Chicago law enforcement should not bend the rules and make him pay for any restitution, Especially because they have a long history of corruption under their belt. My take on this incident is to leave the man alone and let him live his life. I'd love to hear someone else's take on this topic as long as its logical and based on facts. I don't think that anyone can say that this blunder was serious without keeping a straight face.
Kvng_8

Con

"The actor Jussie Smollett could've been telling the truth about is incident. "

But he wasn't telling the truth. He lied. There's been too much evidence already proven that Jussie has lied several times, Changing the report a few times isn't the only thing.

Please choose 1 or 2 so we can get everything clear.

1) Are we debating whether or not the incident regarding Jussie Smollet was a truth or a lie? By you including "If" he lied and "Allegedly telling a fib" in the title, That leads me to believe that you're leaning towards him telling the truth, Am I correct? I was going to make a full list of irrefutable facts on how this Jussie incident is a lie, Which can't really be argued or rebutted as it is backed up by news, Police reports, TMZ, Valid sources, Etc. You did say "logical and based on facts". Are you aware of some of the things that has come out that proves this incident to be a lie? Instead of listing all of the facts I decided to ask this question and the question below just for clarification to see how much you know regarding the incident.

Allegedly - used to convey that something is claimed to be the case or have taken place, Although there is no proof.
There is no allegedly, It's been proven that he lied.

2) We both acknowledge that the incident is in fact a lie (which it is) and we debate whether it being a big deal or not and he should get away scott free and not get punished. Of course your side being "He shouldn't be charged" and my side "He should be charged"

Or are we debating both?

"There's definitely no need to apologize because people do the same thing as him on a regular basis"

You're saying people stage hate crimes on a regular basis? If so, Provide source(s). Or did I take your point the wrong way? Jussie should apologize, As to why he should apologize, I will get into that in R2.

"If he lied, Then just let the man sail off into the sunset because this case isn't really a big deal to begin with. "

This is a serious situation, And it is a big deal. I'll explain why in R2.

"Chicago law enforcement should not bend the rules and make him pay for any restitution, Especially because they have a long history of corruption under their belt"

I agree with Chicago PD having corruption, But let's call a spade a spade. This is Jullie Smollet's situation, No one else's and they tried working with him and he didn't really do the same back to help the investigation. I'll explain why in R2 if Pro needs me to. If anyone viewing needs me to then let me know.

Pro

Nope, He could be lying more so than telling the truth, But it really doesn't make a difference because cases like this has been happening for over a century and absolutely nothing has been done about it. My question to you is "why would Smollett's fake call/ fake report to the police be considered so wrong, Especially when you have white women calling the police on black people for no reason at all? Have you not been watching the news over the past year starting with the Starbucks incident?

OK. . . He surely lied, Which is obvious, But where was this outrage when the white woman called the police on a 12-year-old black boy for dribbling a basketball down the street? Where was this outrage when another white woman, Yet again, Called the police on a little black girl for selling lemonade on the sidewalk? You said that there's so much evidence that proved Smollett lied & I totally agree, But what about the recorded video evidence that's been shown all over the news of these white women making false police reports to law enforcement? I've been waiting on the outrage, But some people tend to get quiet when the roles are reversed. . . This case is petty & "Selective Outrage" is hypocritical.

So, The issue really isn't whether he told the truth or not, The issue is that of (I choose to be outraged when it's convenient). As you just said, "let's call a spade a spade. ". . . We can play dumb and try to deny what's been happening, Or we can have a Logical discussion. It's up to you to choose which route that you're going to take because we all know what the deal is.
Kvng_8

Con

So it seems you understand that he lied. Okay good, That way I wouldn't have to list down the facts because my time probably would have been wasted since you know how the incident is a lie.

I understand you now, You're meaning people making false police reports, I thought you meant people staging hate crime attacks.

I understand what you're saying about white people calling the police on black people for no reason. Just because Jussie did staged this hate crime, Doesn't make it okay for people continue to do it nor does it make the other instances you mentioned okay.

About the cases you mentioned, There's this thing called white privilege so whatever those white people do, It tends to get overlooked. What I mean is that there's been so many stories about white people having this fear of black people so they call the police when black people aren't doing anything wrong at all. With there being so many stories, It has this numbing effect that people get used to hearing about it. There has been outrage about these stories, Yes but with so many of the same exact stories unfortunately happening, You get tired of it. There will always be double standards, Case in point:

Look at Stephen Collins, He has been accused with about the same thing as R. Kelly. Sexual abuse, Child molestation and things of that nature. But how ironic is it that Stephen Collins wasn't in the media much and people barely had anything to say about him, Yet people are so gung-ho about R. Kelly and have a lot to say about him. Granted, I'm not making excuses for R. Kelly because what he did was wrong, But I'm just showing the double standards between the two races.

Now look at Jussie Smollet. A gay man will get judged automatically, But he is also black so that's another thing so of course this story got a lot of attention, Not only because of the story but the LGBT, Which is a very sensitive community, So a lot of people in that community have spoken out about it.

I'll get into why this case is so serious and why Jussie should apologize. This case sticks out from the other cases you mentioned because this is on a much larger scale. Staging a hate crime is crazy, He did it to get attention. Around the same time that Jussie claimed he got beat up, Taraji tweeted to go stream his music and go watch his new music video, So she was promoting him. Jussie should apologize because this will effect the next person who's a true victim of a gay bashing, Or a true victim of racism and everything else.

Pro

My point exactly, Which goes back to me saying that it's not as serious as it's made out to be because gay, Straight, Black, White and every other race has done the same thing numerous times. None of those white women, Who purposely made those false police reports, Were told to apologize, And that's the issue here. I'm not defending what he's done, But he shouldn't apologize because no one else has apologized for doing the exact same thing.

Yes, I'm well-aware of white privilege & double standards as you stated, But there definitely isn't any outrage coming from other racial communities. As you just stated, "people have become numb to it. " The only outrage is coming from the black community. The big issue here is that there really isn't any fear of a black person who's doing something wrong. We both know that's a lie. Everyone is well-aware of how law enforcement is killing innocent black people, And the courts refuse to punish law enforcement even when the act has been caught on tape. The fact is that these racist people just want to see a black person get killed, And that can't be refuted. The question is, "why won't white people ever stand up and say something about these killings? " The white community could at least call-out the people who purposely make false police reports.

We agree on many things, But apologizing should be out of the question until everyone else starts apologizing for their crimes. . . The Emmett Till case is a perfect example of how long these false police reports have been taken place. That woman's blatant lie resulted in the death of a 14-year-old. Other than the black community. . . Where was the outrage from the white community? The strange/funny thing about this case is that the woman who caused E. Till's death admitted that she lied. Yes, The book was released a few years ago, But no one is asking/telling her to apologize, And no court system has indicted her.
Kvng_8

Con

We agree on many things. I'll put my closing arguments in Round 4.

Pro

In conclusion, Actor Jussie Smollett has been caught lying in hopes of receiving more exposure and "fame. " My side of the debate was never really about if he's innocent of guilty. I presented my argument more so on the hypocrisy of the legal system. I used his case as the perfect example on how the legal system is biased and flawed. Ever since the Starbucks fiasco, Black people have become a target of false police reporting by white women for whatever reason. The issue is that the legal system & the American people have never asked these women to apologize, Pay restitution or spend one day in jail.

Flip the scenario around; the legal system & the American people all of a sudden seem to want this man to apologize, Pay restitution & serve time in jail. This is how I've proved that the American way of life is heavy flawed in hypocrisy. My final thought on this situation is that he definitely should not be expected to apologize because no one else has been expected to apologize. Selective outrage is running rampant now days and these false police reports are being used to put people's lives in danger.

I want to thank my opponent for debating.
Kvng_8

Con

Jussie Smollet should apologize coming from the fact that the LGBT is a very sensitive community and as I said before, The other reason is that it could affect the next person who is a true victim and that victim might get second guessed. As far as the white women, I see your point and I actually agree with everything you're saying but with the case of white privilege, They can do anything and get away with it. True hypocrisy and double standard at it's finest.

Thanks for the debate!
Posted by Smug_Tomato 3 years ago
Smug_Tomato
A few days I guess? They are awfully stupid.
Posted by DeletedUser 3 years ago
DeletedUser
I'll ask again, How much time should the white women receive for making false police reports?
Posted by Smug_Tomato 3 years ago
Smug_Tomato
No excuses made here. I just told you exactly what happened. The cases you brought up were resolved within an hour and involved at most 2 officers. Jussie Smollett roped in the entire Chicago Police Department and hundreds of hours worth of manpower and resources to investigate a crime that he literally staged.

The people you mentioned are certainly worth of shame and ridicule, But Jussie Smollett should not be let off the hook because of their stupidity.
Posted by DeletedUser 3 years ago
DeletedUser
Making excuses again huh? I'm still waiting for you tell me how much time should the white women get for making false police reports? . . . I'll wait.
Posted by Smug_Tomato 3 years ago
Smug_Tomato
Considering the cases you brought up only involved one or two officers and were resolved within an hour, I dunno, The amount the cop would have made in the time they were dealing with these idiots?

You're relating scenarios that aren't very similar. One side is being irrational, The other staged a hate crime to garner attention and make money.
Posted by DeletedUser 3 years ago
DeletedUser
So, How much money should the white women pay and how much time do you think they should get for wasting time and resources that could've been used on something important? . . . I'll wait.
Posted by kwbc 3 years ago
kwbc
It's a crime to file a false police report and fabricate a crime in Illinois. It's also a felony.
He also wasted over 100 work hours of investigators looking into the case so he should at minimum be fined for their work and any fees incurred.
Posted by Smug_Tomato 3 years ago
Smug_Tomato
He 100% lied though, And wasted hundreds of hours of time the police could have used for actual cases. He deserves to go to jail.
Posted by DeletedUser 3 years ago
DeletedUser
No problem, He's not a big-time actor but this case just won't go away.
Posted by DeletedUser 3 years ago
DeletedUser
I would accept, But unfortunately, I don't know enough about Jussie Smollet. I never really got into the story.