Adrian14
FishInTheCube

Affirmative action

FishInTheCube

Adrian14

Con

How does discrimination solve discrimination? Affirmative action will cost more qualified people jobs. There are ways to solve discrimination, That is not one of them.
FishInTheCube

Pro

I would first like to refute what my opponent has stated. They had 2 main points, That affirmative action can lead to qualified people missing out on jobs, And that affirmative action just increases discrimination, First tackling the job point, According to the U. S. Commerce Department, There are about 2. 5 million unemployed Black civilians and 114 million employed White civilians (U. S. Bureau of the Census, 2011). This means, Even if every unemployed Black worker in the United States were to displace a White worker, Only 2% of Whites would be affected. And this is assuming every single black worker actually took the job of a white worker, Making the percentage in reality, Even lower. And now to the perpetuates discrimination point, My opponent misunderstands the term discrimination. They agree that minorities are being discriminated against, But then say that affirmative action would only increase this discrimination, And I take this as my opponent saying discrimination against whites. Well, The purpose of affirmative action is to include minorities and deter bad stereotypes against them. I think it can be agreed upon that whites have a good reputation, So there is no need to further that. Instead, We must increase the reputations of those races who don't have positive reputations. Therefore, We are not discriminating against whites, Just including minorities and deterring negative stereotypes.

My first point is that affirmative action helps increase diversity, As without affirmative action there is nothing set in place to help those minorities truly succeed. This fact can be shown with a study conducted by the Washington Post, Where they looked at admittance rates for the University of Michigan Law School, Finding that after a state law banned race-based preferences, Or affirmative action, In the college, The admittance rate of African American, Hispanic, And Native American students dropped from 40% to only 6%. I think this is a clear case of discrimination as when affirmative action was taken away, Less then 10% of minorities were accepted into college! This large plummet in admittance rates shows us the role affirmative action plays, As it is allowing so many more people of minorities attend college, And my opponent is trying to say affirmative action is a bad thing? Without affirmative action, Our colleges would be overrun by majority races, Meaning our jobs would be overrun with majority races, Which is a very harmful thing. This can be shown with the statement according to Sophie Deering, A writer for the undercover recruit, Showing that "Employees are more likely to feel comfortable and happy in an environment where inclusivity is a priority. Equality in the workplace is important for encouraging workers from all backgrounds to feel confident in their ability and achieve their best. " By having affirmative action in place, We are benefiting everyone in company by causing a more diverse group of people working under the same team.
Adrian14

Con

Adrian14 forfeited this round.
FishInTheCube

Pro

Well i'm new to debate. Org but I guess if my opponent forfeited, I have won this debate?

If that's the case, It was a shame we couldn't further extend this argument, But fair attempt nonetheless.
Adrian14

Con

Adrian14 forfeited this round.
FishInTheCube

Pro

Okay I see how this works now.

My opponent has left both my refutation to their contentions and my contention untouched, And judging by the forfeiting this fact won't change.
Adrian14

Con

I would like to apologize for not responding. Your arguments are good and I really don't think I have done enough research to debate this yet. Maybe in the future.
FishInTheCube

Pro

Thank you for the response. That is a completely understandable reasoning for forfeiting. I just got lucky, Having a prior debate case about this topic so I had a ton of evidence at my disposal. I wish you the best of luck in future debates and may we have the fortune of going against each other again.
Adrian14

Con

Adrian14 forfeited this round.
FishInTheCube

Pro

Best of luck in future debates.
Posted by Thoht 3 years ago
Thoht
Yep it's pretty garbage. It's misguided. I like the effect it tries to achieve but it's horribly flawed.
Posted by FrizzyHairInc 3 years ago
FrizzyHairInc
Pretty good debate topic, I hope someone will debate you back. I would if I disagreed with you.
Vote Placed by Hoppi 3 years ago
Hoppi
Adrian14FishInTheCubeTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con forfeited and conceded.