FranzOren2
Eclyptic

Age of adulthood.

FranzOren2 has forfeited round #2.

FranzOren2

Pro

Should age 15 be the age of adulthood? If at age of 15, You are old enough to drive a car, Then you should be allowed to do all adult things.

I am sorry if I sound too logical.

I am a very logical person.
Eclyptic

Con

Hello, And thank you for setting up this debate.
I don't know where you live, But where I live (United States) the age that you can become eligible to drive is 16. Well, Let's play it out. If you are 16 or 15 and you can do all adult things, Then what if you want to quit school? Your high school years are probably the most important for your education, Not to mention the hardest. If school gets hard, A large number of teenagers would quit school, Allowing fewer people to qualify for good-paying jobs. Also, If they can do all adult things at the age of 15 then they can drink alcohol. So the same age that you can qualify to drive is the same age that you can drink alcohol? Additionally, Alcohol would be new so the recency effect would be in play. Since alcohol is new to them, They would want to drink a lot; however I'm not speaking for all people, This is just a generalization. When you are 15 hormones are still going through your body, And sometimes you just can't think rationally. Driving makes people very angry with even just the smallest things. What if 15 year old's hormones start acting up and cause them to get angry while they are stuck in traffic or when they get cut off? That just seems like a storm brewing for me. Also, The age of consent would be lowered to 15 since they would be adults. 15 is a young age and it becomes dangerous for some teens because they aren't fully grown yet. The possible outcomes for a 15-year-old pregnant teen are plentiful: unhealthy baby, Death, Injury, Respiratory issues for the child, Cognitive issues for baby, Etc. Many children in our next generation might have more health issues, Whether they are physical or mental. Also, If you could go to jail for having s3x with a 15yr old as an adult, Wouldn't that technically still be pedophilia? They are still the same age and everything. The only thing that has changed is the law. Many 15 years old aren't physically mature, Thus, They are still underage. Not to mention, Many teenagers are not very rich. If 15 year old's want to live by themselves this could increase the poverty rate. All this is horrible for the economy and could affect everyone negatively. Furthermore, Many teenagers are horrible at managing their money. Many teens buy things they can't afford, And if they can start excessively spending at the age of 15 that does not sit well with me. I look forward to hearing your response! Stay safe out there :)

-Eclyptic
Posted by Hezikiah 2 months ago
Hezikiah
This is the dawning of the age of Aquarius
Posted by Eclyptic 2 months ago
Eclyptic
I guess he is not gonna reply. . .
Posted by Surgeon 2 months ago
Surgeon
Given that pre-frontal development of the brain is not complete until the age of 25 one could argue differently. This is one reason for teenagers to be so easily influenced and be stroppy at the same time. A single age of ascent makes sense. I agree that you should be able to drink, Smoke, Drive, Die for your country, Have sex, Get a proper job, Leave school, Pay taxes etc at the same age. Perhaps pre-frontal development is mostly complete before age 25 and perhaps 25 is too late, But 15? Nah! Not a chance. 18 to 21 is my gut feeling (but only that) - pick a number.
Posted by Leaning 2 months ago
Leaning
@FranzOren2
Round one 'doesn't sound logical, Because you didn't 'explain your assertion.
You just stated that having the ability to drive must mean a person should have all the legal rights of an adult.

One might as well be saying if at the age of 1, You are old enough to walk, Then you should be allowed to do all adult things.
Which is nonsensical, Same logic one might use to say,
Child soldiers are old enough to understand how to use guns and kill people, So they must be adults.
Nonsense.
Underdeveloped, Mentally, Socially, Physically.
Posted by Eclyptic 2 months ago
Eclyptic
Oh my goodness, I am so absent-minded I accidentally posted my response in the chat
Posted by Eclyptic 2 months ago
Eclyptic
I don't know where you live, But where I live (United States) the age that you can become eligible to drive is 16. Well, Let's play it out. If you are 16 or 15 and you can do all adult things, Then what if you want to quit school? Your high school years are probably the most important for your education, Not to mention the hardest. If school gets hard, A large number of teenagers would quit school, Allowing fewer people to qualify for good-paying jobs. Also, If they can do all adult things at the age of 15 then they can drink alcohol. So the same age that you can qualify to drive is the same age that you can drink alcohol? Additionally, Alcohol would be new so the recency effect would be in play. Since alcohol is new to them, They would want to drink a lot; however I'm not speaking for all people, This is just a generalization. When you are 15 hormones are still going through your body, And sometimes you just can't think rationally. Driving makes people very angry with even just the smallest things. What if 15 year old's hormones start acting up and cause them to get angry while they are stuck in traffic or when they get cut off? That just seems like a storm brewing for me. Also, The age of consent would be lowered to 15 since they would be adults. 15 is a young age and it becomes dangerous for some teens because they aren't fully grown yet. The possible outcomes for a 15-year-old pregnant teen are plentiful: unhealthy baby, Death, Injury, Respiratory issues for the child, Cognitive issues for baby, Etc. Stay safe out there :)
-Eclyptic