TheFlashGordon
omar2345

All Drugs should be Decriminalized

omar2345

TheFlashGordon

Pro

First round will just be accepting the debate, Opening statements will begin in the second.

My stance is that I am for decriminalizing all drugs.
omar2345

Con

My stance would be I am against decriminalizing all drugs.
This does mean I take the stance of banning all drugs.
I take the stance not all drugs should be decriminalized.
TheFlashGordon

Pro

TheFlashGordon forfeited this round.
omar2345

Con

Would have liked to debate this oh well.
TheFlashGordon

Pro

I apologize for the previous round, Life happened and I unfortunately ran out of time to post my argument.

I am taking the stance of decriminalizing all drugs. When talking about decriminalizing drugs I do not mean allowing people to do as they please with any substance but rather we no longer someone to jail or prison for a substance and collecting a criminal record, They actually get a chance to get off of the substance they were caught using. Sending someone to jail for a drug has been shown to not only be an ineffective way to stop people from re-using but also in deterring future users from ever starting.

We should focus on giving people resources to rid themselves of a drug rather than keep them criminalized where they are given no resources in actual rehabilitation and in fact makes their lives worse as they would now have a criminal record.
omar2345

Con

Don't worry about it. At least you are here now.

Sending someone to jail for a drug has been shown to not only be an ineffective way to stop people from re-using but also in deterring future users from ever starting. - I don't see how this is a reason why? Offenders are really likely to re offend again. See the source below. I could not find a United States examples but I did find a United States example. Take a look.

We should focus on giving people resources to rid themselves of a drug rather than keep them criminalized- To me it falls flat because I am sure they are given rehabilitation. If it does not work it would be willingly. It is not the fault of the rehabilitation center instead it is the fault of the individual. If they really wanted to change he would accept all what the rehab is asking and give there utmost effort. Second source states 40 to 60% of patients relapse the drug addiction (It is the second chart click on it). This does prove my theory but if you wanted to remove yourself of the addiction surely you would try your best to make it work. This can suggest that rehab centers are not effective due to almost half of their patients are not successfully cleansed of the drug.

a criminal record. - Drugs like Heroin should be punished by law. It is highly unlikely someone does not know Heroin is illegal but they still use it. If we make it illegal we allow pharmaceuticals to sell in the same place as paracetamol. One is more impactful withdrawal effects and the other does not. Third source states the withdrawal symptoms of Heroin.

Source: https://fullfact. Org/crime/state-prisons-England-Wales/

https://www. Drugabuse. Gov/publications/principles-drug-addiction-treatment-research-based-guide-third-edition/frequently-asked-questions/how-effective-drug-addiction-treatment

https://axisresidentialtreatment. Com/heroin-addiction/how-bad-is-withdrawal/
TheFlashGordon

Pro

Offenders are really likely to re offend again. - That is a huge reason why we should decriminalize drugs. Individuals with substance abuse problems are more likely to be successful in treatment than in jail. In the United States there is a small amount of programs that actually help rehabilitate inmates that would help when released so they have an honest chance at being a member of society that doesn't re-offend. When having a drug charge puts you in a place where the idea of rehabilitation has taken a backseat to being tough on you to scare other members of society, The likelihood of you re-offending becomes exceptionally higher due to the lack of social programs and being cut off from the drugs while incarcerated rather than slowly coming off in a rehabilitation program.

I am sure they are given rehabilitation. If it does not work it would be willingly. - With the criminal justice system putting rehabilitation as an afterthought to the "get tough on crime" attitude, Rehabilitation is not actually widely available to inmates. Now if it is offered and does not work, It is also important to note the mental illness that is associated with drug addiction. It has been reported that people who have been diagnosed with a mental illness at some point in their lives are responsible for the consumption of: 69% of alcohol, 84% of cocaine and 68% of cigarettes. Most are due to self-medication due to a chemical imbalance in the brain. After previous use, It becomes less about quitting willingly but needing help as they lose will power to the substance. That is why many need the help of medical professionals to quit.

Final facts:
- Addiction treatment and rehabilitation is less expensive than incarceration.
- Violence related to drug trafficking is greatly reduced
- Individuals with substance abuse problems are more likely to find help in treatment than in jail.
- People who complete treatment can become productive members of society more easily than convicted felons.

"Over 7. 2 million people were incarcerated or on probation/parole at year-end 2009. A history of drug use or misuse is pervasive among prison inmates. Despite the magnitude of the problem of substance use disorders among criminal justice populations, Prisoners have limited access to evidence-based substance abuse treatment during incarceration, During the transition to the community, Or while under community supervision. Therefore, Inmates are often released without the tools to avoid returning to drugs after release from prison. " - www. Ncbi. Nlm. Nih. Gov/pmc/articles/PMC3414824/

Decriminalization is not the same as legalization

sources:
www. Apa. Org/monitor/julaug03/rehab. Aspx
psmag. Com/social-justice/when-addicts-get-out-of-jail
www. Dualdiagnosis. Org/mental-health-and-addiction/the-connection/
americanaddictioncenters. Org/health-complications-addiction/chemical-imbalance
www. Foundationsrecoverynetwork. Com/pros-and-cons-of-decriminalizing-drug-a
omar2345

Con

That is a huge reason why we should decriminalize drugs. - I don't see the point. We have laws so that we do not infringe on others people's rights generally. Yes self inflicted wounds from Heroin can be an outlier but if you have family members or friends around you, You are affecting their lives by hurting yourself.

Individuals with substance abuse problems are more likely to be successful in treatment than in jail. - Was the source provided below? From my evidence it states 40-60% of them relapse again.

In the United States there is a small amount of programs that actually help rehabilitate inmates that would help when released so they have an honest chance at being a member of society that doesn't re-offend. - Can you give me examples of these programs and how effective they are? To me this is not a point without any evidence because you did not specifically what that treatment is.

When having a drug charge puts you in a place where the idea of rehabilitation has taken a backseat to being tough on you to scare other members of society- Criminals should be punished. If they do not what is stopping from infringing on other people's right again? You have to tough on criminals because how well are they going to realise the severity of the choices they made. We should not give drug addicts addicts a free pass because members of society might not accept them. You accept the consequences of your bad actions. If you did not why did you use drug?

The likelihood of you re-offending becomes exceptionally higher due to the lack of social programs and being cut off from the drugs while incarcerated rather than slowly coming off in a rehabilitation program. - From my point of view it becomes exceptionally high due to the chance of them relapse. This is the case because rehab centers either only work in the short term or it never worked in the first place. To me I would require the example of the said treatment and it is effectiveness in numbers for me to believe that it works.

It has been reported that people who have been diagnosed with a mental illness at some point in their lives are responsible for the consumption of: 69% of alcohol, 84% of cocaine and 68% of cigarettes. - What do you think we should do about it? Give them exclusive rules because they are mentally ill? To me laws are made for the majority. If we give rules exclusive to the mentally ill which exempt them from any consequences what is stopping people purposefully becoming mentally ill in order to be not punishable by law for the bad actions they have taken in life?

It becomes less about quitting willingly but needing help as they lose will power to the substance. That is why many need the help of medical professionals to quit. - Even though it might trigger a chemical in the brain. The person in question still has enough control to change their mind. The will does not change. They still have it but they choose to live off their temptations.

Can you add your facts into the paragraphs? No space.

Posted by omar2345 3 years ago
omar2345
(Just realised the debate was 4 rounds)
Posted by omar2345 3 years ago
omar2345
I had no space left that is why I couldn't talk about your facts at the bottom.
Posted by omar2345 3 years ago
omar2345
@TheFlashGordon

Instead of copying the URL, Copy the title of the source with the name of the address.

Example: Infinity War (Wikipedia)
Vote Placed by Adam_Godzilla 3 years ago
Adam_Godzilla
TheFlashGordonomar2345Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro's arguments are flawed. However, Con did not adequately address them. In short, neither made convincing arguments, so I'm left with my own opinions. But it was very close.