nonprophet
Ajab

All psychics are frauds

Voting Style: Open with Elo Restrictions Point System: Select Winner

nonprophet

Pro

No voting debate
First round is for acceptance only
Ajab

Con

I thank nonprophet for looking past my age and challenging me,
I accept this debate.
nonprophet

Pro

A psychic is a person who claims to have an ability to perceive information hidden from the normal senses through extrasensory perception (ESP), or who is said by others to have such abilities.

In 1988, the U.S. National Academy of Sciences gave a report on the subject and concluded there is "no scientific justification from research conducted over a period of 130 years, for the existence of parapsychological phenomena."

There are several techniques used by self-described psychics to give the illusion that they do indeed, have psychic abilities. They include:
prestidigitation, cold reading, and hot reading.

Prestidigitation is also known as "Sleight of hand" and is used by magicians to  manipulate objects such as cards.

Cold Reading consists of analyzing a person's body language, age, clothing or fashion, hairstyle, gender, sexual orientation,
religion, race or ethnicity, level of education, manner of speech, place of origin, etc., in order to quickly obtain a great deal of
information about the person they are trying to convince. These techniques convince people that the reader knows
much more about them than they actually do.

Hot Reading is just getting personal information about a person before meeting them in person. This can be done on the internet
by use of collaborators who work for the "psychic".

By using these three techniques, it can become very easy for an experienced user of these techniques to convince somebody
that they are indeed "psychic".

Many psychics prey upon people who have recently lost loved ones and have a desire to communicate with them. Their desire
and emotional state of mind, makes them very susceptible to gullibility.

The scientific community does not have sufficiently verified evidence for scientific acceptance, and there exist
many non-paranormal alternative explanations for claimed instances of psychic events.

In conclusion, it would be fair to say that all psychics are frauds.

Ajab

Con

I hope you can forgive me this one round, I am not well. Please give me a day, I promise to write my arguments next round. If you would allow we can have this debate again after a few days.
nonprophet

Pro

I'll skip saying anything this round. Feel better. If you are still sick after the debate ends, we'll call it a tie.
Ajab

Con

nonprophet I am so sorry, I am still sick. I hope we can re do this debate. I am honestly very very sorry. I know you worked hard on your argument. Thank you for the challenge.
Posted by vintinthethird 7 years ago
vintinthethird
Why do you make it a rule that people should be over 21? That has no real indication of a person's ability to debate.
Posted by n7 7 years ago
n7
Is nonprophet Qopel? It sure seems like it.
Posted by Defro 7 years ago
Defro
Well...good luck finding a contender.
Posted by nonprophet 7 years ago
nonprophet
As a consequence of people always cheating and telling lies, the integrity of the website suffers.
I love how people complain about my policies of no votes and age restrictions.
The very same people who complain about my policies are the ones who caused them to begin with!
Keep rewarding cheaters with free wins..it won't happen again on my debates.
Posted by Defro 7 years ago
Defro
You shouln't believe me, which is why I conceded to you being against me debating this topic with you when you brought up the issue of age.
Posted by nonprophet 7 years ago
nonprophet
"cheating should not have anything to do with spelling and grammar and sources"
Right, cheating should be an automatic loss of a debate.
Posted by nonprophet 7 years ago
nonprophet
Yep, that's why I set it to 21. 13 year olds claim they are 18. If people lie, I will have to compensate for that.
DDO doesn't enforce their own rules of using correct information in profiles. That's why I set my age to 99, in protest.
You admit you lied about your age, so why should I believe you at all?
Posted by Defro 7 years ago
Defro
@nonprophet And cheating should not have anything to do with spelling and grammar and sources.
Posted by Defro 7 years ago
Defro
While I respect your decision to not debate those under the age of 21, might I ask why? There is also the question of validity. This is the Internet! Do you expect everyone's age in their profiles to correspond with their actual age? When I first joined this site, I predicted this would happen so I changed my age to 21. If I hadn't changed back, you would unknowingly think I was 21 and eligible to debate you!
Posted by nonprophet 7 years ago
nonprophet
@Defro Breaking the rule changed the whole debate. It was a cheat.