clara_06
Eclyptic

All students should be allowed to bring phones to school.

Reasons for your voting decision - Required
The Voting Period Ends In
Updated: 1 month ago Status: Voting Period

clara_06

Pro

Student should have the option to bring their phone to school. I often use my phone at school to contact my parents when I"ve forgotten something at home or need to be picked up for some reason. My phone doesn"t distract me during class like many teachers assume it will. If used correctly, Phones can be very beneficial to students.
Eclyptic

Con

Salutations! And thank you for setting up this debate. It will be a pleasure to debate with you.

" I often use my phone at school to contact my parents when I"ve forgotten something at home or need to be picked up for some reason. " - clara_06

Yes, I bet you do; however, Can"t your teacher or school receptionist just call your parents with their phone? There would be no need for you to bring your cell phone if there are multiple people that can call your parents.

"My phone doesn"t distract me during class like many teachers assume it will. "- clara_06

Okay, That"s great that your phone doesn't distract you, But how about all the other kids. Just because you don"t get distracted doesn't mean the millions of kids going to school won"t. Journal of Media Education says that 97 percent of college students are distracted by their phones. How then, Would younger students, With less self-control and maturity, Be able to suppress their urges to look at their phones?

" If used correctly, Phones can be very beneficial to students. "- clara_06

I don"t doubt that, But many kids will abuse their phone privileges and use them when they are not supposed to. Very few kids will have enough self-control to not look at their phones. I agree that if the phones are used correctly they can be beneficial; however, If they are misused they can be detrimental to a student's learning experience. I used to be in a class that allowed phones, And it was chaos. Kids would just be using their phones despite what the teacher said. Overall, I don't think the pros outweigh the cons so I don't think we should allow students to bring their phones to school.

Stay safe out there, And I look forward to hearing your response!
-Eclyptic
clara_06

Pro

I agree that phones can be distracting for many people, But they are still very helpful.

"Journal of Media Education says that 97 percent of college students are distracted by their phones. "

A lot of collage students use their phones for classes, Especially now that learning is remote. Computers are usually preferred for online classes but students are more likely to own phones. When my classes went remote, Many people were fine using their phones because a lot of them didn"t have access to a computer. So yes, Phones can be distracting during class, But what if the phone is needed to be in the class. I often use my phone for researching things that I need to know for my classes. Phones are very important these days, Therefore, To not allow phones for school could be worse than the student getting distracted. There are also many apps you can download to help you focus.

"Can"t your teacher or school receptionist just call your parents with their phone? "

Yes. Before I got my phone, I would go to the office to call my parents whenever I was sick or forgot something at home, But this was inconvenient in many ways. Sometimes, My parents are busy so they can"t answer the phone and in these situations, It is just easier to text. It was just very awkward to walk down to the office and ask the receptionist for phone numbers because I always forgot them. It is also very awkward to have these conversation in front of the receptionist instead of being able to find a quiet place to call someone. Using the school phone isn"t that bad but it is still a situation I try to avoid.

"Many kids will abuse their phone privileges and use them when they are not supposed to. "

I totally agree. To prevent students from using their phones when they shouldn"t be, Many classrooms have phone buckets. Students only remove their phone from the bucket during breaks or when the teacher gives permission.

I"m excited to hear your next argument.
-Clara
Eclyptic

Con

"A lot of college students use their phones for classes, Especially now that learning is remote. " - clara

Yes, Learning has been remote, But I don"t think it was remote in 2016 (when the study was taken). The college classes were in-person then, And still, 97 percent of college students were on their phones.

"I often use my phone for researching things that I need to know for my classes. "- clara

And the reason your teacher can"t teach this stuff to you is". ? Also, I highly doubt you need to be researching things in the middle of class, Can"t your teacher just show it to you on his computer? Unless, For the class you"re just supposed to learn from wikipedia and not the teacher.

"So yes, Phones can be distracting during class, But what if the phone is needed to be in the class" - clara

So right here you admit that phones are distracting. I agree that sometimes phones are needed to be in class; however, What would be the point of sitting in front of your phone in a zoom meeting if you're just gonna watch tiktok? ? There is none.

"My parents are busy so they can"t answer the phone and in these situations, It is just easier to text "- clara

Yes, Sometimes texting is convenient. On the other hand, Why can"t your teacher, Who probably has her phone, Text your parents?

"It was just very awkward to walk down to the office and ask the receptionist for phone numbers because I always forgot them. " - clara

Life is full of awkward situations, Removing some won"t make you avoid them altogether. Additionally, If you don't want to make it awkward just write their phone number on a piece of paper or actually memorize it.

"To prevent students from using their phones when they shouldn"t be, Many classrooms have phone buckets. Students only remove their phone from the bucket during breaks or when the teacher gives permission. "- clara

Okay, Seems to me that the only times the students get to remove their phones are during break time of dismissal.
clara_06

Pro

"I highly doubt you need to be researching things in the middle of class, Can"t your teacher just show it to you on his computer. "

For the majority of the assignments I"ve done in school, I"ve needed to research things on my own. The teachers don"t just tell us everything. Literally every PowerPoint I have ever done has required me to do my own research and if everyone is using the teacher"s computer, It will take way to long to finish the assignment.

"So right here you admit that phones are distracting. "

Phones can be distracting for some people, But I also mentioned that there are apps available to help people focus on things other than their phone. The problem is people who don"t do things to help themselves focus, Not the phone. By allowing phones in school, Aren"t students also being taught how to deal with these distractions.

"Why can"t your teacher, Who probably has her phone, Text your parents? "

I think that most people would rather use their own phone. I don"t want to bother my teacher with this and what if the message is personal. Chances are, My teacher won"t just hand me their phone, They will ask me what I want to say and type it for me. I can"t image my teachers would like me very much if I had to use their phone all the time.

"Life is full of awkward situations, Removing some won"t make you avoid them altogether. "

Yes, Sadly I can"t avoid every awkward situation, But why would I rather experience those situations than avoid them easily by having my phone? "

"Okay, Seems to me that the only times the students get to remove their phones are during break time of dismissal. "

They can remove their phones for researching too.

I also want to add that by allowing phones in schools, Teachers are showing their students that there is trust, Instead of just assuming that they will abuse their privileges. If students break this trust, There should be temporary punishments.

It"s been fun debating with you.
-Clara
Eclyptic

Con

Ah yes, The last round, The climax of our debate.

"everyone is using the teacher"s computer, It will take way to long to finish the assignment. "-clara
Yes, But many school provide ipads, Chromebooks, Etc. Also, School libraries usually have computers I don't see why you can't use those resources that are readily available.

"there are apps available to help people focus"- clara
Yes, However many of these apps require a paid membership; even the ones that are free can easily be turned off. So really nothing would stop you if you wanted to watch tiktok.

" Aren"t students also being taught how to deal with these distractions. "- clara
Like I said before, I had a class that had 15 students ( it was a pretty small class compared to others) and every single person (with the exception of me and my friend) had their phone. They were constantly on it and the teacher, In many instances, Never even noticed. How then, Do you expect a single teacher in an average class size of 30 kids (double the amount in my class) to moderate phone usage? Yes, Some students might learn but that would be very unlikely considering that since the class is too vast the teacher won't have proper jurisdiction over the class's phone usage.

"They will ask me what I want to say and type it for me. I can"t image my teachers would like me very much if I had to use their phone all the time. "- clara
I guess not, However I don't think they would like it if they had to moderate an entire class on their phone either.

'why would I rather experience those situations than avoid them easily by having my phone? "- clara
Awkward experiences are not fun, But they make you stronger and from those experiences you can learn to make awkward situation not awkward.

alright I'm running out of space here so I'll just try to give a brief synopsis of my argument

"Teachers are showing their students that there is trust"- clara
many kids will break trust, Big class, Hard to manage

been plesure 2 debate u
-Me
Posted by RonaldCespedes 2 weeks ago
RonaldCespedes
Should all students be allowed to bring phones to school?
I think, Yes, But to some degree!
Because, I think that phones should not be allowed in school to some degree because it gets distracting at times, And people can be playing games and be on the internet instead of listening to the teacher and learning at school.
There is a purpose to school, And if you decide to just sit there and play games all day then you will not learn anything, And your grades might start dropping. I think that people should be allowed to be using their iPod"s and electronic devices when it is recess time because that is the time when you are free to do anything you want. If people want to spend their recess on there phones when it is their free time, I think that, That is totally fair.
In addition, I think that any other time during school hours is not ok, Because if a person is talking and you are sitting in your seat with your iPod, Then you might get it taken away, But it is also being disrespectful to the person that is talking, Because you are not giving them your attention and being a respectful listener.
Posted by Back1 3 weeks ago
Back1
I am sincerely disagree cuz students should not take the phone to school unless the student has an emergency, Because all schools have an informatics classroom, So that might help students to search or do an investigation or something similar.
Why I disagree the fact is that nowadays student just want to spend time on smartphone and this gadget make student clueless if they do not know how to use it.
Posted by yoselinpm 1 month ago
yoselinpm
I agree with you. I think it is important that students bring phones to school because, If they need to search information on internet about something and they do not have a computer nearby, They could use the phone to search it.
Posted by Eclyptic 1 month ago
Eclyptic
Everyone that is spectating this debate, Please vote. I would also like to receive helpful criticism about my arguments; how they can improve, Things that I did wrong, Things that I can do better, Etc. Thank you:)
Posted by lizpanipalma 1 month ago
lizpanipalma
I totally desagree about cellphones in schools. Students have to deal with a lot of distractions nowadays, And cellphones are the worst of them. In my humble opinion, A kids shouldn't have cellphones until they are at least 15 years old or they can afford it themselves. Moreover, Kids have become adict to technical devices and they should have prohobided the use of those devices when they are studying at school.
Posted by Sharola_sc 1 month ago
Sharola_sc
I agree, Cell phones are ver important because you don't know when you're gonna need one, Even at school. . . As long as the cell phone does not interfere with the school, I agree.
Posted by FrankCr 1 month ago
FrankCr
I am against children using their cell phone at school, I think that children should not have a phone many times even outside of school, This serves as a means of distraction, All the more so if parents do not take the necessary measures.
I have the opinion that if a technology device is needed for education, The educational center must provide laboratories or the necessary equipment, With some safety standard to guarantee that children are not in danger in their use.
Posted by Margie21 1 month ago
Margie21
I agree regarding the importance to provide our kids a device, So we can rapidly be in touch with them as soon as they need it, When they are away from us, But I honestly feel that a cellphone is a hugde distractor even if is muted or in vibration mode.
They are children and not all the time they will hold back to use it during the time where is not allowed. However, A reasonable device they could be able to use, In my personal opion is a watch that has GPS, And allows you to make and receive calls, Instead of a cellphone which has more distracting funtions.
Posted by Eclyptic 1 month ago
Eclyptic
I didn't have enought space, So I have to finish the rest of my argument here.

They"re probably just gonna play games or watch tiktok, So are you saying that they should bring their phones just for the sake of being entertained during break? The phones are not necessary whatsoever since, Like I said before, The teachers have computers and phones of their own etc.

i look forward to hearing your rebuttal. May God bless your day!
-Eclyptic
(Sorry I didn't do the greeting and all that polite stuff I didn't have enough space)
Posted by amr1501 1 month ago
amr1501
sometimes cell phones can be a very useful tool during children's learning, But it must be supervised by an adult since this object could be used to distract themselves, The best thing would be that the use is allowed depending of the age