dinachen
omar2345

All teacher's are at least somewhat selfish because of their craving for pleasure

dinachen

Pro

I believe that the reason teachers teach is that they believe that teaching is fun for some reason. I don't think that teachers really care for a students wellbeing academically if that student doesn't care about their own wellbeing. Usually the people that teacher's like are the ones that are easy to teach and easy to work with. For example, 2 students are both good students. Both of them have an A in the class. Student W struggles in the class, And he always asks for help when he needs it. Student P finds everything in the class to be easy, Including the concepts. Which student is the teacher going to like? Probably student P because he's less work for the teacher, And because he is more likely to participate in the class and answer questions since he knows what's going on. Basically, Student P gives the teacher more pleasure and less work. Teachers would eventually get annoyed with you if you struggle enough. Now teacher's don't care whether or not you learn; but in order for them to like you, You have to keep up with the whole class. Why? Because their lesson plans are based on where the whole class is at and if you don't keep up you're probably going to blow off their lesson plan if you don't know what they expect the class to know. This is because teacher's gain pleasure(fun) by students interacting fully with their lesson plan. Also if you're struggling to keep up because subjects hard for you, They'll not like you since you're basically giving them more work and wasting their "fun time" with the class. So, In general, The main reason why they would want you to keep up and get frustrated if you don't is because they gain pleasure by teaching and by kids learning and interacting fully with them. If you're hard to teach in any way, They dislike you. This is because kids that are easy to teach give them pleasure since they're able to work with them and teach them things. They also only like kids that participate fully in their lesson plans.
omar2345

Con

Intresting theory. Happy to take on this debate.

teaching is fun for some reason- It is self explanatory. Why wouldn't you do it if it wasn't fun?

I don't think that teachers really care for a students wellbeing academically- I think you forget to realise the higher the students score on test the better she/he looks as a teacher. The more reasons she/he has to ask for a promotion or money.

if that student doesn't care about their own wellbeing. - There are rules in place to state the teacher is responsbile for the child. If the child is hurt then the teacher will also get the blame.

Student W struggles in the class, And he always asks for help when he needs it. Student P finds everything in the class to be easy, - Why can't a teacher derive happiness by helping others? By explaining it she/he feels like she/he has been useful.

Student P gives the teacher more pleasure and less work. - Both of them getting A's is the pleasure. More likely for promotion.

That is all I can answer.

My point of view is that everyone in some way is selfish not just teachers. By teaching she/he gains pleasure. By helping others they gain pleasure. Whether or not the teacher gains pleasure it is what she/he is doing to gain said pleasure. If she/he is unhappy that students are slowing him/her down then yes she/he will gain less pleasure but I can argue they gain little to no pleasure in the first place. The lesson plan they must have spent their free time trying to make it work and then on top of that mark everyone books and tests before next lesson. Teaching is not a fun job at all even if you like teaching students new things. You do not have free time because in that free time you would need to prepare for your future lessons. Yes there will be a point where you can copy lesson plans but every year the specifications changes and the teachers teaching will have to adjust to said teaching. The little pleasure they derive is nothing to how much mundane tasks they have to even derive that and the pleasure is not always going to be there. What if her/him best student doesn't show up? What if her/him are ill? What if everyone in the class scored poorly in the test? Pleasure is not assured and I would say teachers are unhappy.

Hopefull this is what you expected me to say for my side.

dinachen

Pro

Well, Technically if teacher's only care about students and want students to do well because of rules or the opportunity of promotion and not because they really care about the students wellbeing, Then I consider that being selfish. This is because the teacher only cares about themselves, Not the students. If teacher's gain little pleasure at home because their duties take up all their free time, Then I can see how the teacher would rely on the student's to give them said pleasure(fun). This is because they rarely have time for pleasure at home, And their only chance for them to have pleasure would have to be at school when they're presenting their lesson plan and working with students.
omar2345

Con

teacher only cares about themselves, Not the students- They kind of have to look after the students. If the teacher does not then if something happens she/he will also be blamed. The teacher can care about the students but deep down they are selfish but on the outside they must care about the students. Saying a teacher is selfish as an assumption.

can see how the teacher would rely on the student's to give them said pleasure- Little pleasure off work can be enough for the said teacher to care about the wellbeing of his/her students. Little pleasure from my point of view would be most of her life is dull and not worth remembering but what she does think deeply about does get her through the job. This can be sexual intercourse, Reading, Movies, Going on holidays or spending time with her kids.

them to have pleasure would have to be at school- I think the teachers that do derive pleasure are early in their career. To me as they get older they tend to dislike their job a lot more. So the pleasure would only help for early teachers. Experienced teachers would most likely have something to go home for whether it be a cat, Child or significant other. It is someone and they can derive little pleasure from them and the rest of their time be be bored or have bad moments.

dinachen

Pro

dinachen forfeited this round.