Debator1776
screenjack

America is the Greatest Nation

screenjack

Debator1776

Con

I am a country loving patriotic American but with that I would like to open up the debate that America is no longer the greatest nation in the world. No I do not have another nation that I would say is the greatest nation currently but I believe the place of hopes, Dreams and achieving greatness through hard work that was America has been loss. While yes I recognize the United States incredible feet of economic success and overall prosperity we have fallen prey to general ignorance and arrogance as a nation. Our military is ridiculously over sized for the current world, Their will never be another mass invasion of another nation so I must ponder the question of why we have thousands of tanks, Planes, Artillery and short range missiles as a war will be cyber or nuclear. Our country achieved great success out of World War 2 but we seem to still be stuck in the time period paying little attention to the fact that isolationism is impossible in an online connected world with missiles that could annihilate a country in minutes. The polarization of parties in the country has taken a deep toll on civil political discussion with many getting offended or quick to be angered at simply an opposing opinion. While I will go ahead and cite more statistics and facts to backup my next round of arguments I would like to present just a general overview of why I believe the United States of America is no longer the greatest country.
screenjack

Pro

I too am a loving patriotic American. I would state that America, While under threat of no longer being the greatest, Is still in fact the greatest. This is all somewhat opinionated if we're honest. I could point out any one of the things that the U. S has, Such as speech and gun rights, That no other nation has.
I would actually say that the size of the U. S. Military is one of the reasons why no other nation will launch conventional warfare. It is a deterrent just like Nukes are. You also have to understand the ever changing pace of war. In war you attack with what your opponent doesn't have. Not with what you have. So if the U. S. Lost all of its tanks one day you can bet your bottom dollar people would attack the weakness. The reason war has become so unconventional is because people are probing for weakness. They are looking for what we don't have.
The polarization of parties is indeed worrying but the solution is to reach out to the other side. People think having a debate means that we are so fully against each other that we need a stage to yell or something along those lines. A debate can simply be what it is meant to be. We can think about things differently and still come to bipartisan solutions. The main point I'm trying to bring about is that as long as we can still debate freely like this we can not be silenced. As long as an open discourse can be maintained violence will not ensue. (thank you debate. Org)
Now you didn't post any supporting articles for round one so I will do the same. We can just call this round a preface round or something if you like.
Debator1776

Con

Debator1776 forfeited this round.
screenjack

Pro

Lame. I really hope you didn't stop debating because I said open debate keeps america free. That would be a troll.
Debator1776

Con

Debator1776 forfeited this round.
screenjack

Pro

that's weak.
Posted by screenjack 3 years ago
screenjack
The only reason the ottomans ever came to power was because of how large and powerful rome was. Without Roman infrastructure the ottomans would never be able to sustain their puny little empire. The only reason they were able to conquer the east roman empire was because rome was so damn big and some idiot named anthoney wanted to cut it in half. #spqr forever
Posted by Soviet4life 3 years ago
Soviet4life
"The Ottomans? Want to be empire couldn't even conquer the italic peninsula much less the Mediterranean. "
They also ended the 'roman' (byzantine) empire, They also lasted the longest out of any other empire
Posted by longstreet01234 3 years ago
longstreet01234
@billsands Is newsroom the only argument you have for this, Cause that's kinda sad if so. If not then what other evidence do you have?
Posted by screenjack 3 years ago
screenjack
@billsands, You think we have the most holy prison system?
Posted by screenjack 3 years ago
screenjack
The Ottomans? Want to be empire couldn't even conquer the italic peninsula much less the Mediterranean.
Posted by billsands 3 years ago
billsands
number 1 in person incarcerated people who beleive in angles and in the size of our army. . In other respects we resemble a third world backwater
Posted by Soviet4life 3 years ago
Soviet4life
no, The Ottomans were better
Posted by screenjack 3 years ago
screenjack
You know what you're right. I guess I just took this debate to troll. . . . . Clearly the spqr is the greatest nation on earth. I'm proud of the U. S for imitating it but I must confess my undying love for Rome. LONG LIVE THE REPUBLIC.
Posted by Soviet4life 3 years ago
Soviet4life
America has never been the best nation
Vote Placed by Juris 3 years ago
Juris
Debator1776screenjackTied
Reasons for voting decision: ff
Vote Placed by dsjpk5 3 years ago
dsjpk5
Debator1776screenjackTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con ff over half of the rounds. That's poor conduct.