Xemx
The_Right_Opinion

America is the best current country

Xemx

Pro

Con accepts and begins the arguement. Good luck.
The_Right_Opinion

Con

What do you mean by "best"? Effective? Morally just? Influential? The proposed argument here is just too vague for me to form an argument against it. You need to go into further detail.
Xemx

Pro

I'd like to start off by apologizing for not being specific enough. I will start hopefully you will see my points. Who treats the LGBT community with more tolerance than the United States? Certainly not Jamaica, Where anal intercourse is punishable by up to 10 years imprisonment with hard labor. Not in Middle Eastern countries, Where homosexuals are punished even more harshly. In Yemen, Saudi Arabia, And Iran, To be gay is a death sentence. Here in the U. S. , If a private business owner doesn"t want to make a cake for a gay wedding, They"re publicly shamed and make national news. The World Bank lists the global poverty line at $1. 90 per day. Assuming one works every day of the year at that rate, Their annual income would be only $693. 50. Compare that with the United States, Which marks it"s poverty line at $22, 162 a year. Our poverty line starts 31 times higher than the global rate. Our economy represents 25% of the world"s GDP. The United States and its wealth have been vastly more instrumental in lifting human beings out of poverty than any nation in history.
We invented the modern suspension bridge, The electric light bulb, Photographic film, The skyscraper, Electric traffic lights, Frozen food, Automatic car transmissions, The assembly line, Airplanes, Credit cards, Disposable diapers, The integrated circuit, Lasers, Personal computers, Mobile phones, Space shuttles, The internet, GPS, And perhaps most importantly, Chocolate chip cookies.
What predominantly white country has provided more opportunity and equality to its minority black population than the United States? Yes, The legacy of slavery hangs over our founding like a shroud, But to pretend we are alone in this is pure fiction. Slavery was a worldwide evil. In 1778, The state of Virginia abolished the importation of slaves. This effort was led by Thomas Jefferson, Who, As president, Also signed legislation that criminalized the international slave trade in 1807. England passed similar legislation that same year. Sweden abolished the slave trade in 1813, The Netherlands in 1814, France in 1826, Brazil in 1851. Almost the entire developed world decided that slavery was evil in a period of about 50 years. No one would pretend that it"s been roses since then. But in fighting the civil war, Abolishing Jim Crow, And amending our constitution to provide equal protections and rights under the law, The United States has made more progress toward living our ideals than most modern nations.
There are still approximately 30 million people enslaved in the world today. Slave trading still exists in countries like Haiti, Pakistan, And India, And is still practiced widely across the African continent. Black Americans are afforded more opportunity here than they would be anywhere else on Earth.
The_Right_Opinion

Con

The_Right_Opinion forfeited this round.
Xemx

Pro

Xemx forfeited this round.
The_Right_Opinion

Con

Since Xemx forfeited, I would like to direct everyone to my argument in the comments, As I think it sums everything up. If you want to come back and try this debate again, I'm happy to give it a shot.
Posted by The_Right_Opinion 3 years ago
The_Right_Opinion
ch inventions, Notable Australian inventions, Etc.

The slavery argument demonstrates a key element of the way American history is retold now. You're citing historical events to prove that you are the best *current* country. Again. You are no better now than any other country that abolished slavery, Your society can stop patting itself on the back for it. And for the record, We never even had a state-sanctioned slave trade in Australia. Demonstrating the dissonance here, The *current* American government banned all Muslims from entry into the United States for a time (restricting their rights) because they had an irrational fear of terror attacks. And yet, These past achievements are treated with credit as though the current America is responsible for abolitionism, And not the America of the past. Just because you were better doesn't mean you are better, And also doesn't mean you will always be better.

https://www. Glaad. Org/publications/accelerating-acceptance-2017
http://www. Abs. Gov. Au/ausstats/abs@. Nsf/mf/1800. 0
https://www. Acoss. Org. Au/poverty
Posted by The_Right_Opinion 3 years ago
The_Right_Opinion
Damn, I didn't mean to forfeit. Here's my argument, My internet went out:
Okay then, I think this is a pretty good argument. I'll go down your list of points in order and list my disagreements with them.
For context, I'm Australian. I think Australia is currently better than America (not because I live there, Just because of the state of the two countries right now).

First, The LGBT community. The US is not the only country in the world that allows gay marriage. Anyone can look good via comparisons with some of the most socially disadvantaged countries in the world. This makes you better than countries where gay marriage is illegal because you have more freedom, But when you get to other western countries, It stops there. Also, While gay marriage is a point of contention with many American republicans, The Australian Liberal Party (right-wing) have less opposition to it, And our referendum had more "Yes" votes than the American survey I cite below.

Secondly, Poverty. The U. S. Has an excellent economy. But when it comes to poverty, Australia is also better off. Poverty lines are relative measures of poverty that combine poverty statistics with the country's production rates, And skew results. A better measure of poverty for the U. S. (currently) separates it from its economy and previous economic growth, And is therefore more relevant to the current debate. Australia's poverty rate rests at 13. 2%, Including children, As opposed to the 15% in the U. S.

Inventions are where I think your argument starts to break down. You've made a contradiction by saying that America is the best current country, While citing past achievements. Also, You can just as easily make a list of notable U. K. Inventions (the light bulb was invented by Joseph Swan before Edison. And the cars that America is famous for would be nothing without roads and their predecessor, Carts. And your beloved choc chip cookies? They couldn't have been made without the chocolate bar), As well as nota
Posted by Thoht 3 years ago
Thoht
You really should define what makes a country good. What metrics are you using to judge it? This is a value-based question.