TRDebates
ConradCC

Android is Better Than Apple

TRDebates has forfeited round #3.
Started: 5/30/2018 Category: Technology
Updated: 3 years ago Status: Debating Period

TRDebates

Pro

Android is better than Apple, as it is cheaper, has better features, and has more original features. Because this is the opening argument, I will not be posting reasoning to give the Con debater a fair chance. I wish them luck.
ConradCC

Con

In this argument I will present to you my reasoning behind why Apple is superior to Android. My main points behind my reasoning are: Security, Software, Quality and Hardware.

One justification as to why Apple users have a more enjoyable experience with their iPhones is because of the software and because it has the AppStore. The AppStore is home to around 2 million apps, just second behind the Google Play Store which has 3.8 million apps. The AppStore is also known for having a great selection of high quality apps which are easy to find. The fact that the Google Play Store has so many more apps is because none of them are monitored, checked or approved by any sort of substantial or functioning system. Apple on the other hand, always manually checks each and every app that is uploaded to the AppStore as well as every single update made to these apps after they have been uploaded. Apple checks the security of the apps before they are approved and so malicious apps tend not to be approved or only appear on the AppStore for a short time. On the Google Play Store, however, since it does not do any checks, there are some cases where simple calculator apps were able to steal information and monitor your device whether it was via the microphone, the camera or both. It is also no secret that companies and developers prefer uploading their apps to the AppStore first. For example, the two most popular social media apps currently - Instagram and Snapchat - were both debuted on the AppStore first. You may also note that these apps do not run as well on Android phones as Apple iPhones because the developer tools are not as extensive or easy for the Android platform. One example of this could be how there are so many different varieties of Android that the only way the Snapchat app can function on all of these platforms is by having to take a screenshot of the screen in order to take a picture. This is because the vast variety of Android phones have different cameras with different resolutions and so it would be a massive hassle to make Snapchat compatible for each and every phone.

Another reason as to why iOS users tend to be happier with the OS is because iOS is substantially more secure than Android. Apple encrypts data on the device to ensure that data can appear on that device and that device only. From day one Apple has maintained a tight grip on its software, controlling app quality (as mentioned above) and third party access. Many argue that Apple is therefore quite restrictive while Android is open and customizable. However, this is a disadvantage as this makes the phone"s OS vulnerable to malware, bloatware or overall just give apps access to things they should not have access to. Samsung, one of the main competitors to Apple has actually attempted to modify the Android software in order to suppress the amount of bloatware that is found on the Android platform by putting it all in one folder. Either way, the bloatware still affects performance and is just a telltale sign of how unprofessional-looking Android can be. Another sign of how bad the Android OS is, is that companies, brands or the general public have to actually make guides as to how to uninstall bloatware, malware and viruses as well as how to avoid installing certain malicious applications from the Google Play Store. A report from 2013 by F-Secure concluded that Android is a target to 91.3% of malware. Another way iOS or iPhones as a whole are secure is because (since the iPhone 5s because of the introduction of TouchID) actually have a Secure Enclave (a sub-section of the processor) which not only stores things like fingerprints and helps with encryption but also uses a secure boot system which ensures that the code it runs cannot be modified.

Unlike popular belief, Apple actually has made various new and ingenious hardware-related things; the main thing being that Apple has actually surpassed, if not reached, the same level of production and quality as Intel (a well-known chip-making company). Apple is also credited with being the first to have a refined and powerful haptic engine in the recent iPhones which simply makes the iPhone experience, in a small but multisensory way, better. We can also see from benchmarks that Apple"s latest chip, the A11, is still more powerful than even the chip in the most recent One Plus 6s or the newer Samsung devices. A recent analysis of the high-end chips used in existing Android devices show that Apple"s A-Series is ahead by two years with their A11 and by the time their A12 chip comes out, chips made for Android will only be on par or slightly more powerful than Apple"s A10 chip (a now two year old chip).

One common misconception is also that Apple devices, including iPhones, are more expensive than their Android counterparts. Although this may be true in some cases, with the cost reduction you are sacrificing quality and speed. The price is also fairly justifiable because (as mentioned above) the actual hardware of iPhones is quite good. In other cases it is flat out not true as Apple"s main competitor (Samsung) actually has very similar prices to Apple"s latest iPhone X. Software-wise, iOS is also advanced because it is one of the few mobile platforms which has features for disabled people to improve their experience and make their lives easier. One advantage to the simplicity and overall quality of iOS is that it is easier to pick up and understand whether you are an elderly person or you are coming from Android.

For all the reasons stated above and many more, I find that Apple is superior by a substantial amount to Android. Unrelated to the phones themselves, Apple is also superior because it is known to have unmatched customer service. This is because Apple makes such a profit margin that it is able to simply replace a broken phone or broken phone parts for free or a relatively low price.
TRDebates

Pro

Well, if the Appstore is better because it's more secure, that means Play Store users have more common sense. If a calculator app does steal info, they can first see it on the screen you get before installing. On the Appstore however, there is no screen showing this. Therefore, if an Apple user uses the Play Store, they will hate it because they have to go through multiple screens just to install an app.
The next "evidence" is that Apple is more secure. While that is true, it costs you at least 150 dollars more than Android does. Plus, there are free firewall apps on Android that don't hack you. Basically, you're paying 150 dollars more for free firewalls. Since you included it, too, I will talk about the bloat ware situation. Yes, bloat ware is a problem. But it's a problem easily fixed. First, go into settings. Then, go into "Application Manager". There, you can turn off all the bloatware and clear their caches, clearing the space that bloatware uses.
Finally, Intel is dropping in quality, so I think that Intel just reached Apple's level.
Oh wait, there's a subsection dedicated to cost. Oh boy. Here we go. First off, the quality of Samsung phones are MUCH higher than Apple's. Second off, newer Apple updates actually slow the year-old phones, while Samsung phones don't have to update to the newer versions, making them faster than their Apple counterparts. I am currently writing this on a Samsung S5. If I asked you to try to write your next argument on an iPhone 5, you would says it's nearly impossible because of the updates slowing it down.
Also, customer service in Apple just tells you to upgrade while Samsung actually tries to help. Just mentioning that.
ConradCC

Con

I would like to thank the Instigator for their response, and offer some points of rebuttal below.

The Instigator says that: "If a calculator app does steal info, they can first see it on the screen you get before installing." However this is simply not true: in the case which I stated, the google play store did not inform the user that it was using the microphone, camera etc. as it was malicious. Instead, it used a form of exploit in order to get around this and steal information incognito. The Instigator also states that: "On the Appstore however, there is no screen showing this." I am not sure what they mean by this because the AppStore does not have malicious apps (did you mean to say there is a malicious calculator app equivalent on the AppStore? If so, there are none.) And besides, (and this just shows how ill-informed my opponent is) when you first open an app on iOS it will ask you for access to the camera or microphone (or any other information it requires) if it is necessary and will never be given access unless explicitly agreed to by the user.

The next thing the Instigator states is: "The next "evidence" is that Apple is more secure. While that is true, it costs you at least 150 dollars more than Android does." Yet again, I am not sure what they mean by this as the security itself of the phone does not cost a customer $150. That does not make any sense. They also go on to say: "Plus, there are free firewall apps on Android that don't hack you. Basically, you're paying 150 dollars more for free firewalls." I am also not sure my opponent quite understands what I mean by security of the phone; it is not as simple as a firewall that can be easily downloaded. There are multiple layers to this and multiple different safety features that have nothing to do with firewalls (as that is a networking issue) but everything to do with viruses, malware and adware. They also mention the situation of bloatware on Android and, to be honest, it is quite concerning. On iOS it is as simple as holding down the few unnecessary pre-loaded apps and deleting them.

The next thing they say is: "Finally, Intel is dropping in quality, so I think that Intel just reached Apple's level." This statement to me just seems like negative justification for Apple being on par with Intel. It seems like Apple actually being innovative or being on par with Intel is somehow impossible to my opponent speaker and the only justification for it actually happening is Intel losing quality. When they say: "the quality of Samsung phones [is] MUCH higher than Apple's", I must question what their definition of quality is. Samsung and Apple phones use the same materials, have the same glass back and also use their own equally-as-strong alloys. If the Instigator could please give an example in their next response as to how it is of greater quality that would be appreciated.

Lastly, the Instigator also mentions how Samsung"s customer service is subjectively "better" than Apple"s. Yet, I fail to see how this is the case as Apple (like always) has won multiple awards for its customer service. For example, Apple won the Tech Support Showdown of 2018 for customer support by Laptopmag.com. In this showdown, Samsung was actually third behind Dell. It should also be noted that Apple has retail stores internationally. The only "competition" Apple faces in this regard is Microsoft stores. However, the latter does not provide the same type of in-store support as Apple stores and pales in comparison when it comes to the daily traffic of people. Although I would concur with the obsolescence side of things currently and mildly understand the need for customization with Android, I have never seen anyone argue that Samsung customer support was ever superior. All bias aside, it is undeniable that Apple has the better customer service: it"s one of their best attributes and selling points.

I will now offer some new arguments to demonstrate the superiority of Apple over Android.

From the response given, I can also tell that this has become essentially Apple VS Samsung. For this reason, my next bit of writing will be on Samsung and the times it actually copied Apple. Historically, Samsung initially did everything in its power to copy Apple"s iPhone and iPad. Their advertising campaign (even to this day) also relies on belittling Apple products. Most recently, however, it is most notable that Samsung continues to copy Apple"s efforts across all of its line of products. This is because Samsung has suddenly decided to dive into the smart speaker market, just weeks after Apple"s release of the HomePod. This is not a matter of opinion, it is a fact. If you do not believe me then simply research the countless documents, that were made public, of the court battles and feuds between them. Apple was even rewarded hundreds of millions of dollars in damage as a result of the lawsuits. If you search Samsung"s "Relative Evaluation Report on S1, iPhone", you will see an internal document from 2010 (publicly released in 2012) that shows point-blank that Samsung was copying Apple pixel by pixel. Another example of how Android as a whole is copying Apple is their blatant copy of Apple"s notch from the iPhone X. These such devices are: Noa N10, Doogee V, Asus ZenFone 5, One Plus 6 and LG G7. Another way Android companies are also copying Apple is by ditching the headphone jack. The phones that have done this are: Sony"s Xperia XZ2 and Nokia 8 Sirocco along with a few more lesser known brands. Most Android companies are also even copying Apple"s FaceID feature and copying the initially rumored in-screen fingerprint sensor that Apple is working on.

The latest Samsung devices also have a slow motion feature. However, to activate it, it has to detect motion and it is otherwise impossible to manually activate the slow motion feature. On the iPhone, it is as simple as pressing the record button and you may record indefinitely (assuming you have the battery and the storage for it). Samsung also has a limit on how much video you can record in 4K or even just 1080p which I find to be quite ridiculous.

Something that also must be addressed is Android"s horrific app switcher. On Apple"s latest iPhone X, it is as simple as dragging left and right on the bottom of the screen in order to switch seamlessly from app to app. Android"s one requires a double press of a button in order to open a cascade of apps presented in a very condensed and confusing form.

The above reasons show that Apple is more innovative, user friendly and reliable than its Android counterparts.
Posted by Enquired 2 years ago
Enquired
ConradCC has nothing but false information, Please debate me on this topic, I will SMOKE ANYONE.
Posted by Bakedbeans 3 years ago
Bakedbeans
Nokia master race!