Easan
MAGA27

Animal testing should be banned

Easan

Pro

Will not be starting a proper argument yet, Just setting out that I will be arguing for NO animal testing at all due to it being unethical/inhumane and ineffective
MAGA27

Con

I do not think that animal testing should be banned.

Here are my reasons:

1. It has benefited humans in the past. For example, It helped show doctors how kidney transplants work, Saving over 2, 000 lives. That is just one of MANY times animal testing saved lives.

2. They are animals. Who would you rather live, A Rat or a Human Child? You would choose the kid every time, Would you? Animal "rights" Activists seem to not really care about humans, And are too focused on animals.

3. Animal testing cured POLIO. That's right, The reason kids don't need machines to breathe is because of animal testing!

4. You should probably read something other than PETA articles ;)
Easan

Pro

I would now like to rebut the points you have made.
1. Yes I am aware that animal testing has benefitted many humans before, But it has also caused harm on many occasions and is unreliable. Many drugs that appear safe and effective in animals fail in humans, Or cause significant harm, And even death. A 2004 study from the U. S. Food and Drug Administration found that 92 percent of drugs entering clinical trials following animal testing fail to be approved. If I am to be specific, An example would be when animal experiments on rats, Hamsters, Guinea pigs, Mice, Monkeys, And baboons revealed no link between glass fibers and cancer. Not until 1991, Due to human studies, Did OSHA label it carcinogenic. You can argue all you want about how there are many other cases of animal testing saving lives but if you were to search it up animal testing has failed many times resulting in humans getting injured or killed. I don't think it is worth it to use animal testing when not only animals are being tortured, But humans are affected as effects seen in humans were not observed in animals.

2. I would like you to answer me honestly: Humans are seen as having more rights as animals, Which is why we experiment on animals and not humans, Yes? But why do humans have more rights? Intellectual capacity? If so, Those born with intellectual disabilities have fewer rights than humans born normally then. Social interaction? Animals like monkeys and dolphins can interact a lot too, And this also means that people that don't like to talk much or find it harder to covey their thoughts ALSO have less rights. So, Why are animals tested on and not humans? Because there's just a perception that they're not one of us so rather test them than us. Not only that, Testing on humans would be tough, Because how do you tear a human away from his/her parents, Children etc? However for animals, They're too helpless to do anything! Humans can riot protest and demonstrate, But animals can't stir up trouble like humans do, So testing on animals is done simply because it's easier, Nothing more. Hence animal testing is unethical due to it being torturous and there being no basis to show why animals deserve such treatment but humans do not. Unless you can counter this rhetoric, As I see it, Animal testing should be banned in part due to it being unethical(and don't tell me there are MANY other unethical practices in the world approved by everyone as it's not the case)
3. Covered in point 1, But yeah sure kids can be cured of polio, But at the same time, In the late 1950s and early 1960s, The drug thalidomide caused an estimated 10, 000 birth defects and thousands of fetal deaths worldwide. The affected babies typically suffered from phocomelia, A failure of the limbs to develop. Thalidomide had been prescribed to pregnant women to help reduce morning sickness, But tragically, It turned out to be toxic to developing fetuses. Extensive animal testing had failed to predict any hazards from thalidomide.
4. No, I actually don't just read PETA articles
MAGA27

Con

MAGA27 forfeited this round.
Easan

Pro

My opponent has forfeited the previous round for whatever reason. . .
my opponent has also failed to provide detailed arguments in the first round, Which I have all rebutted in the second round, Thus showing the lack of a strong argument to back up his/her stand. If you can't provide proper structured arguments and forfeit upon seeing them all rebutted, This debate can go nowhere because frankly I have nothing else to do here
MAGA27

Con

MAGA27 forfeited this round.
Easan

Pro

Easan forfeited this round.
MAGA27

Con

MAGA27 forfeited this round.