Soviet4life
Kvng_8

Anime sucks

Kvng_8

Soviet4life

Pro

Anime sucks
Kvng_8

Con

Can you perhaps explain why you think anime sucks? Have you at least watched anime before? If you have I would respect your opinion more. If you haven't seen anime before and you think it sucks just give it a try. You never know. Plus, Why say something sucks when you haven't experienced it yet?

Round 1 - Acceptance.

I'll hand over the floor to you so you can make a well thought out argument on why anime sucks and I'll oppose it.
Soviet4life

Pro

All those weird weeaboos, What is there to like? I had experienced anime before, My first time made me hate it right off the bat, I walked into my friends brother watching that certain kind of anime that starts with a H, It was unpleasant, Next I was going on Netflix looking for something to watch, I came across "Sword Art Online" cause I like video games I thought it would be a good show, I was wrong, I watched up to the sex scene, Before the sex scene it was just boring and unsavory, I was ready to turn it off and play some video games, Until I reached the sex scene were I turned it all off and I haven't watched any anime since.
Kvng_8

Con

Anime that starts with an H. The shows that come to mind for me at the moment are Hunter x Hunter and High School of The Dead (HOTD). I highly doubt you're talking about Hunter x Hunter, It's just a regular action anime that doesn't have ecchi. I assume you know that term.

Ecchi - is an often used slang term in the Japanese language for playfully sexual actions.

Only thing HxH has is a really perverted character named Hisoka.

I think you must be talking about HOTD since it's one I know of, And seen. HOTD fits in the ecchi category. There's lots of boob shots, Boob jiggling, Under the skirt angles, And nudity. When you say "unpleasant" is that what you're referring to? To refresh your memory, If this is the show you're talking about, The plot is basically high school students fighting off zombies. If HOTD isn't the show, Then whatever the show is that starts with H, Does it have nudity or sexual things in it? I assume so, Since you brought up Sword Art Online (SAO) having sex scenes.

When you say "boring and unsavory" that leads me to believe that you disliked the show for not only having a sex scene, But because it wasn't a good story, Correct? If so, Understood.

Regardless, There's anime with ecchi (fan service) that still has a great storyline despite the ecchi. I say "despite" in your case. Examples: Prison School (this series is hilarious), Sekirei (great series) and also HOTD.

You also said "that certain kind of anime" so I assume you know not all anime is like that. They don't have so much sexual things, Boobs, And etc. So with that experience you had, You shouldn't stop watching anime because of that. I'm not ordering you to watch anime again because it's your choice but I'm not saying not all anime is like that. There's many other aspects about anime that makes it wonderful.

Another thing, Your profile says you're 32 years old. Are you telling me that sexual things in that form of entertainment (anime) offends you or something? Honestly, Everything is oversexualized. It's everywhere you look. Music, Magazines, Ads, Celebrities, Movies, Social media, Etc. Sex sells. So are you telling me it should be an exception for anime? I'm honestly a fan of ecchi, What guy isn't? I just see it as comedy, It's hilarious as hell to me. Plus it's a lot of fan service, People enjoy it. If you don't agree with it, That's fine it is your opinion. In the case of rape I can see how it's offensive. Example, Sword Art Online season 3 episode 10, There's a scene where these girls are getting raped by two guys. The beginning of the episode even says "The following program contains scenes of violence and sexual assault, And it is intended only for mature audiences. Viewer discretion is advised. "

Anime is great because: Art style/animation, Characters you can relate to + backstories, Teaches you lessons in real life, Great fight scenes, Entertaining, List goes on. How I got into anime is when I came across Naruto on TV. Naruto used to come on Toonami (90's and 00's kids can relate) Naruto was my first anime and I loved it and I literally grew up watching Naruto, And that's what got me into other anime. I also watched Pokemon and Inuyasha and other series, But Naruto is what I seriously got into. From watching cartoons such as Fosters Home For Imaginary Friends, Teen Titans, Codename Kids Next Door, Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy, Etc. (Classics. Like I said, 90's kids know) they were more childhood. So from watching them and then looking at Naruto, I also seen it as a form of another cartoon until I learned it's anime. That is another reason why I got into anime, Based off of the awesome cartoons when I was young.

I'm sure you heard of The Big 3. They are Naruto, Bleach and One Piece. If you're apart of the anime community/at least know anything about anime you at least know, Seen, Or heard of them. They are popular, Long running series that mainly focus on good story and action, And other things. But mainly action type series. Not to mention Dragon Ball Z, Which inspired them, The creators of the aforementioned series are fans of the creator of DBZ. Also, Hunter x Hunter and Fairy Tail - two more long running action series.

Those 6 particular series I mentioned aren't huge on sex scenes, Or inappropriateness. Well Fairy Tail can be, Because of the boobs and all. Like I said, The sex thing doesn't make anime bad. Not all anime are like that.

Of course you bring up weeaboo. I predicted you would. I would talk about that but I don't want to make this round any longer than it already is and perhaps overwhelm you especially since your Round 2 was short. Unless you don't mind long responses, Let me know. I'll discuss the weeaboo thing in Round 3.
Soviet4life

Pro

"Another thing, Your profile says you're 32 years old. Are you telling me that sexual things in that form of entertainment (anime) offends you or something? Honestly, Everything is over sexualized. It's everywhere you look. Music, Magazines, Ads, Celebrities, Movies, Social media, Etc. Sex sells. So are you telling me it should be an exception for anime? I'm honestly a fan of ecchi, What guy isn't? I just see it as comedy, It's hilarious as hell to me. Plus it's a lot of fan service, People enjoy it. If you don't agree with it, That's fine it is your opinion. In the case of rape I can see how it's offensive. Example, Sword Art Online season 3 episode 10, There's a scene where these girls are getting raped by two guys. The beginning of the episode even says "The following program contains scenes of violence and sexual assault, And it is intended only for mature audiences. Viewer discretion is advised. ""
Yes, Sexual things in that form of entertainment (anime) offends me, Anything that is overly sexualized is not to good, But a 'cartoon' that many kids watch isn't exactly a good thing.
"Everything is over sexualized. It's everywhere you look. Music, Magazines, Ads, Celebrities, Movies, Social media, Etc. "
but in these things you know that there are going to be very sexualized things, And kids avoid these things, Anime is normally targeted to kids
"I'm honestly a fan of ecchi, What guy isn't? "
Me
"There's a scene where these girls are getting raped by two guys. The beginning of the episode even says "The following program contains scenes of violence and sexual assault, And it is intended only for mature audiences. Viewer discretion is advised. ""
Do you think these kids that watch it acknowledge this 'warning'
"Anime is great because: Art style/animation, Characters you can relate to + backstories, Teaches you lessons in real life, Great fight scenes, Entertaining"
I hate the art style and western animation is by far much better
What characters can you relate to (don't answer that), Did you know that you can get something called a friend to relate to yourself, Why do you want a fake, Badly drawn cartoon as something that you relate to?
Really, Backstory? There are plenty of of live action, Or better drawn western animation movie/videos that have a far more enriching backstory than anything anime can come up with.
And I haven't seen a single "Great fight scene" in Anime
And it is not entertaining
Kvng_8

Con

Sexual things in anime offending you.

Offending you how? I understand it shouldn't be around kids because they don't need to see that at all. But anime is mainly targeted towards teenagers and adults. Hypthetical point: You are 32, Watching anime by yourself with no children around. Are you still offended by it? I'm thinking 1. You have children and you don't want them being around it. 2. You simply are just against it. Sexual things are in anime, You know why? Because it's for a mature audience. Meaning adults. Ecchi and boobs and all of that is merely eye candy. Everyone (particularly men obviously) likes it. Just like heterosexual men are attracted to a female, Right? Fan service (ecchi) doesn't equate to a perverted freak, It's just all for comedy and jokes at the end of the day. In that case, Are you against porn as well? Like real life porn? Do you think that shouldn't be allowed? Is that offensive to you?

Oversexualization is not good I agree, But it is what it is. But human nature is sex. As humans, We are (have) eventually (already) going to experience(d) sex, Well unless you decide not to I guess. Another point, This goes back to the beginning of response -- masturbation. So if you masturbate, Is that bad? Since it's pleasuring yourself. The genitalia is meant for sex. So by your logic, I see that you are against sex in all forms and masturbation.

"A 'cartoon' that many kids watch isn't exactly a good thing. "

Is this referenced towards anime or cartoons (Teen titans, Billy and Mandy, Powerpuff girls) -- there's a difference.
On the cartoon aspect, I can agree that it isn't a good thing because various conspiracy theories have came out regarding hidden sexual messages in certain Disney cartoons, But back then, We were all kids and we didn't know about it nor did we realize it. Nevertheless, It is still a bad thing since it is geared towards children and they are watching it.

"Music, Magazines, Ads, Celebrities, Movies, Social media"

So, You make the excuse for all of those, Yet say it's bad for anime to be oversexualized?

"kids avoid these things"

It's hard to avoid though. The kids don't avoid it themselves, They don't know what is, And what isn't. Parents are the ones who make their children avoid it, But at times it can be impossible since it's everywhere, Such as social media.

"Anime is normally targeted to kids"

No, They are more so targeted towards adults, Like I said before. Yes there are kid type anime (such as Pokemon), But most anime are meant for 18+ with adult content and cuss words in it, They are written for older audience.

"I'm honestly a fan of ecchi, What guy isn't? Me"

Okay.

"The following program contains scenes of violence and sexual assault, And it is intended only for mature audiences. Viewer discretion is advised. "

That isn't meant for kids. Note: "intended for mature audiences"

There are great art styles though. Not all art style is bad if that's what you are saying. Art style and animation go hand in hand by the way. What do you define western animation as? Didn't you say you don't like anime?

"Did you know that you can get something called a friend to relate to yourself, Why do you want a fake, Badly drawn cartoon as something that you relate to? "

I have plenty of real friends, In case you were insinuating that people who watch anime don't have friends, But friends can turn fake on you, And not be loyal. You can lose a friend. With a fictional character, That won't happen. You can even look up to a fictional character or learn from them. Similar to your favorite actor in a movie role. It's lots of people (anime fans) who can relate to fictional characters, They even say so. There's nothing wrong with that. It doesn't make them a weird psycho. For example, Shikamaru (from Naruto) he's extremely smart, But lazy. I relate to him and many other people can relate to him too.

"Western animation have more enriching backstory than anime. "

List some examples if you can. I can easily bring up some great backstories anime does. They can be sad backstories that are just as impactful just like live action movies.

Of course you haven't seen a single great fight scene in anime if all you seen was, Based on what you told me, 2 anime. SAO and the anime that starts with H, You never confirmed if it was HOTD or not. So yeah buddy, You haven't seen any kind of fights, There's at least, If not around, Approximately 35, 413 anime in total according to MAL (myanimelist)

Like I said, Naruto, Bleach, Hunter x Hunter those are my top 3 easily, And they have outstanding fight scenes. I can even show you some so you can see exactly what I'm talking about. There's a website you can go too where you can chat and watch videos at the same time. I'm interested in doing that. If you don't want to, Then okay. I don't want to send links because 1. DDO has this glitch where they aren't allowing links in the debate. 2. Even if I put the link or tell you the fight(s) I doubt you'll go and watch them, Unless you watch them with me.

Now let's talk about "Weeaboo" - which is the very first thing you say after I suggested you saying why you think anime sucks. That says a lot. So by that, Are you going to stop playing your favorite video game if a rapist or murderer happens to have that same exact game and plays it? Yes I'm aware that comparing those words to "weeaboo" is a big stretch but I just had to use that as an example. I couldn't think of any other words to say.

Let's first say the definition.

Weeaboo - is a non Japanese person who is obsessed with the Japanese culture or a specific part of Japanese culture & thinks they know everything about it but instead they end up disrespecting the culture while also denouncing their own. That's what a weeaboo is.

A non Japanese person can like anime, Watch anime, Learn the culture, Respect the culture, Go to Japan and experience the culture, Learn the language, Etc while keeping in touch with their own which does not make them a weeb/weeaboo, Japanophile etc.

Since when was it established that if you watch anime you're automatically a weeaboo? Just because you watch anime and read manga doesn't make you a weeaboo. You know what you call a person that watches anime and enjoys it? An anime fan. Some people just use the word just because others use it, Or because it's popular I guess. Now are there actually some weeaboos? Of course. But not everyone who simply watches anime makes them a weeb. I for one am not a weeb. That's like calling a black person white.
Soviet4life

Pro

Soviet4life forfeited this round.
Kvng_8

Con

Pro forfeited. Pro has another chance to respond to my Round 3. If Pro gives argument in the next round in response to my Round 3, I will respond to their points + giving my closing arguments. If Pro forfeits again in Round 5, I will still submit my closing arguments because I have a lot of things I need to say to get my point across. If Pro needs to reply to my Round 5, You can make your response in a Part 2 debate or reply in the comments.
Soviet4life

Pro

Soviet4life forfeited this round.
Kvng_8

Con

Pro forfeits again. No matter. On to my closing argument:

I'll address your reasonings saying anime "sucks" and not watching it anymore:

1. Weeaboo.

Weeaboos and anime should generally be in to separate conversations. You can be a weeaboo and not watch anime at all. I already said the definition in the end of R3. In any case, How are other people going to make you stop watching something? Or make you stop playing a video game?

2. Ecchi.

It comes down to preference. People like ecchi, Some don't. People like sex scenes, Some don't. Find something that is to your liking. Like I said, Not all anime is ecchi. You say anime sucks based off of a sex scene and ecchi that were in the TWO series that you told me you seen. You have yet to scratch the surface of anime.

Q1: Do you think sex scenes in movies are wrong? Or do you give that a pass just as you did for magazines, Ads, Music, Celebrity, Social media, Etc?

Q2. Again, I ask how does sex in that specific form of entertainment offend you? I see your age. You're an adult.

Q3. Are you a virgin? Don't count this as bad conduct. I'm not being rude by asking this. I'm just trying to put this all together.

Q4. Again, Are you completely against sex and it's entirety?

Need I remind you of Human Nature.

Humans have sex & produce offspring. It's been happening since the beginning of time. This = generations. A mother and father having a child & then their child has a child, So on & so forth. Which = family tree.

Correlation: Anime & Sex scenes.

There's actually anime porn, It's called Hentai. It's fictional animated people and it's honestly seen as comedy from my perspective. Honestly, Hentai is more so seen as a meme & as comedy like I said. It's hilarious to me due to the fact that it's just anime characters having sex. It isn't even that big of a deal compared to real porn with real people. Q5. So by that, Are you against real porn? Or do you give that a pass.

Q6. This goes back to Q1 again, So if a sex scene in anime is that offensive to you, How are you going to watch a sex scene that's in a movie -- a real life movie with real people. Of course actual sex isn't shown. Perhaps just kissing and one person on top of another and the scene changes. I noticed your profile & I assume you don't watch movies. Nevertheless, Just used what's above as an example.

Again, It seems as though you're giving a pass and making excuses for other things being oversexualized but you're making anime an exception.

Let's take a step back.

Comparing Hentai to Ecchi.

Although they are linked, They are slightly different. Ecchi is on a lower scale than Hentai. Ecchi displays in anime. Hentai does not display in anime. (I'm referring to an actual anime series)

Hentai -> Porn.

Ecchi -> An exposure if breasts (most cases, Nipples that aren't visible) and genitalia (female characters particularly -- under the skirt angles where underwear is seen) so I would describe ecchi as simply exposure if breasts, Ecchi also describes sexual scenes that doesn't involve sex itself.

As a matter of fact, Sex scenes in anime are barely even shown as far as the hentai aspect goes. It's just mostly ecchi that is shown. In some series for example, Prison School, You can either watch the censored or the uncensored version. With those options in mind, This proves that not everything will be bare nudity.

Let's take another step back.

There's also Harem anime. ~ Lower scale than Ecchi.

Harem - emphasis on polygamous or love triangle relationships characterized by a protagonist surrounded amorously by three or more members of either the same or opposing gender, Sex or love interests. It's basically exaggerated romance. It isn't like ecchi where it's revealing boobs and such. Are you against Harem as well?

Let's take another step back.

There's also Romance anime. ~ Lower scale than Harem.

As the name implies, It's about romance. Light-hearted stories with couples that love each other. This is similar to romance movies with real people. Are you against romance anime? Do you give romance movies a pass compared to romance anime?

In closing:

Elaborating: Growing up on anime.

People such as myself grew up on anime, Then soon after they got into other anime. That's one explanation as to how some people love anime to this day. If you grew up on it then it's easy to become a fan of anime. It's harder if you haven't grown up watching it on television and then happen to get into it later in your life as you're older, Because anime could come off weird to a person that's new to it, But there are some cases where people who haven't grown up watching anime, Who then become interested in what it's about happen to try watching, Or a friend shows them anime (depending on what anime it is) and they like it, And from that point on, They watch more anime and get into it. This actually happens, I've seen it happen first hand a few times.

Genres in anime.

Another thing that makes anime good is it's many different genres. Ecchi is a genre. Not all anime are ecchi. In your case, If someone isn't a fan of ecchi anime then the simple solution would be to not watch it. Also, Just because an anime is ecchi doesn't mean it doesn't have a good story. I understand in your circumstances, You walked in someone watching anime and you came across an anime on Netflix where you couldn't tell what genre it was. But on websites where you watch anime, There are genres provided for people to see. Prime example - kissanime. Ru. A website that I watch all my anime on. There's many genres that you might like and that appeals to everyone. I'll name some: Action, Horror, Mystery, Adventure, Psychological, Sports, Comedy, Mecha, Sci-fi, Music, School, And many more.

Music anime - Appeal to people who plays music instruments and loves music.

Sport anime - Appeal to athletes. People who play sports. There's a basketball anime called Kuroko's Basketball. I noticed in your profile that you watch baseball, There's baseball anime too.

There's also an anime called Food Wars. It's basically about students at this elite culinary school having cooking showdowns. It's all about food and chefs it's one of my favorite anime especially since I love food and I love to cook. I also took culinary for a couple years. Food Wars happens to fall under the ecchi genre. This proves that an anime that has ecchi in it can have a great story that doesn't just focus on ecchi all the time. This doesn't even matter to a person who is not against ecchi. I find ecchi hilarious.

There is a genre called "Kids" which are anime only meant for kids. Most other anime that aren't in that category are meant for adults, Particularly high school or above.
Another technical name for kid's anime is "Kodomo"
Shounen anime is meant for teen males, Or 18+

As I stand by my argument in R2, Anime is great because it's one of the greatest forms of entertainment, Great stories, Characters, Awesome fights, Animation, And it actually teaches you real life lessons. You said "and it is not entertaining" from what you told me you barely seen any anime. You haven't even seen the entertaining ones that are loved by all. If it wasn't entertaining, Then the anime community wouldn't be so massive.

There are great fights in anime. I already listed them in the comments so go check back.

I'm not forcing or telling you to watch anime. Everybody has their opinions and preferences on what they like and don't like. All I'm doing is 1. Of course proving on my side that anime does not suck and 2. Telling you that not all anime is ecchi or 'inappropriate', So to say anime sucks and putting all anime in one box is invalid and it's unfair. That's like someone seeing one horror movie, Them not liking it and them saying every other movie sucks based off of one categorized movie.
Posted by TheBoldDebator 2 years ago
TheBoldDebator
@Kvng_8
I was kinda an anime fan and I have watched anime before and read manga. Although your opponent lost and may have not had the best arguments, Some of the things they have said did intrigue me and same with your arguments.
Posted by Kvng_8 2 years ago
Kvng_8
@TheBoldDebator

So were you an anime watcher/anime fan before reading this debate and your views somehow changed from Soviet4life? I assume so, Because you stated your "views have changed". If I am correct, Then I find this really hard to believe. Perhaps there's another possibility, You've never seen anime and you were maybe interested in watching it but Soviet4life changed that.

1. Soviet's arguments weren't convincing at all. What made him look worse is his so called opening argument of "Anime sucks" without elaborating or giving an explanation of why it sucks to him.

2. Not saying this with arrogance, But with humbleness. I crushed him in this debate. Take the forfeits out of the equation. All of my rounds rebutted his effortlessly, Not to mention my very last round, Round 5 I broke everything down to the last detail.

The debate speaks for itself. He barely put any work or thought into his side of the argument. Interested in your response. Not here to argue, Just to communicate and gain understanding.
Posted by TheBoldDebator 2 years ago
TheBoldDebator
After reading this, My views on anime have changed and I have to agree with Soviet4life.
Posted by omar234 3 years ago
omar234
Reasons for voting decision: Con made the better arguments. Con did not forfeit.
Posted by omar234 3 years ago
omar234
Who did you agree with before the debate? Con
Who did you agree with after the debate? Con
Who had better conduct? Tied
Who had better spelling and grammar? Tied
Who made more convincing arguments? Con
Who used the most reliable sources? Tied
Posted by Kvng_8 3 years ago
Kvng_8
im talking about togethertube
Posted by Soviet4life 3 years ago
Soviet4life
Whats Debate. Org chat room
Posted by Kvng_8 3 years ago
Kvng_8
no its a different website. Youll see. Ill message u it now
Posted by omar2345 3 years ago
omar2345
Debate. Org chatroom?
Don't even know they had one.
Posted by omar2345 3 years ago
omar2345
"Whatever argument i make you're gonna disagree with. "
Because you are wrong. If you made a good argument like it was unfair and gave an explanation why it is unfair. Then I would have agreed with that but you didn't.
Vote Placed by omar2345 3 years ago
omar2345
Soviet4lifeKvng_8Tied