Mingodalia
Soriak

Anti gun laws would be anti-feminist

Soriak has forfeited round #3.
Updated: 3 years ago Status: Debating Period

Mingodalia

Pro

Anti gun laws would be anti-feminist.
Mingodalia

Pro

Definition of feminism

1 : the theory of the political, economic, and social equality of the sexes
2 : organized activity on behalf of women's rights and interests

`````

Anti gun laws would be anti Feminist. Why?

-Women are on average physically weaker, smaller, and not as fast as men. To not allow them a gun is to not allow them any way to equalize the situation.

THE RAPE OF COLOGNE-

During the 2015/2016 New Year's Eve celebrations, there were allegedly mass sexual assaults, 24 rapes, and numerous thefts in Germany, mainly in the Cologne city center. There were similar incidents at the public celebrations in Hamburg, Dortmund, D"sseldorf, Stuttgart and Bielefeld. For all of Germany, police estimated in a document in 2016 that 1,200 women were sexually assaulted and that at least 2,000 men were involved, often acting in groups.

https://en.wikipedia.org...

AGerman weapons experts say that Germany's weapons laws were among the world's strictest.

https://en.wikipedia.org...

If only one woman had been armed, would we have prevented 700, 1,000, maybe most of all of the 1,200 attacks? Possibly. These weapons laws literally put women at risk, at a disadvantage, and encouraged a mass rape and sexual assault by over 2,000 men on 1,200 women. Is that justice? Looks like injustice to me.

Definition of Justice:
"the administering of deserved punishment or reward."

http://www.dictionary.com...

And in this case, most of the attackers got away, were not punished, and the women were assaulted. The gun law caused and encouraged an unjust act.

Social justice is a concept of fair and just relations between the individual and society.

https://en.wikipedia.org...

Nothing about what happened here was socially just. Nothing about what happened here was pro feminist. And an armed woman could have prevented it all or much of it. One dead guy in the street or with a gun up to his cranium would have been all it would have taken to turned this carnage around.
Soriak

Con

My case: Anti-Gun laws advocate for Feminism

I agree with my opponent"s definitions

First argument: Men are more likely to have guns, and are more likely to commit violence with guns.

"Data shows gun violence is disproportionately a male problem. Of the 97 mass shootings in which three or more victims died since 1982, only three were committed by women (one of those being the San Bernardino attack in which a man also participated), according to a database from the liberal-leaning news outlet Mother Jones. Men also accounted for 86% of gun deaths in the United States, according to an analysis by the non-partisan non-profit Kaiser Family Foundation."

"Men are more likely to own a gun " three times more, according to a 2017 survey from the Pew Research Center."
https://www.usatoday.com...

The evidence quoted proves 1) men are more likely to have guns and 2) men are more like to commit gun violence. Considering this evidence, with current gun laws, it"s more of an unequal battle. Since more men than women would have guns, in this hypothetical gun fights, men will not only outnumber women in the rates of gun violence, but are also more likely to have guns on them. And from this, we can safely say men are more likely to have experience with these weapons. Just having a gun doesn"t make you safe, but also knowing how to use a gun. So with these guns circulating through society, women have more to fear with the high crime rate committed by males with guns, and the fact that women are less likely to even have guns on them to defend themselves. With guns, Pro assumes all women will have guns (not true), and that women will know how to use these guns (not true), and women will commit just as much violence (not true).

Second argument: Taking away guns give women a better chance.

Anti-Gun laws give women a inherently better chance of surviving, since it"s harder to kill without these weapons, women have an easier time of running, biting, gouging, whatever is necessary to survive, rather than be shot and be done over with.

Pro only gives one example of a raping in Cologne, but surely we cannot use this one cherry picked example to make the claim, gun laws are better. We have to speak in a general way, if we"re talking about a policy for all of the U.S. The best way to approach this is to not use one example, but use common everyday examples which Cologne is not. This is the approach I have taken above.
Mingodalia

Pro

(Con:)
"Men are more likely to have guns, and are more likely to commit violence with guns."

If this isn't a good argument for why a woman should be able to carry a gun, I don't know what is...

-

(Con:)
"Of the 97 mass shootings in which three or more victims died since 1982, only three were committed by women (one of those being the San Bernardino attack in which a man also participated)"

So now I have men and Islamic extremists to deal with. My grip on my gun just got tighter.

-

(Con)
"Pro only gives one example of a raping in Cologne, but surely we cannot use this one cherry picked example to make the claim, gun laws are better."

Okay. I will be using Con's own claim to fulfill this request.

Con said, " Data shows gun violence is disproportionately a male problem. Of the 97 mass shootings in which three or more victims died since 1982, only three were committed by women (one of those being the San Bernardino attack in which a man also participated), according to a database from the liberal-leaning news outlet Mother Jones. Men also accounted for 86% of gun deaths in the United States, according to an analysis by the non-partisan non-profit Kaiser Family Foundation."

-

(Con:)
"The evidence quoted proves 1) men are more likely to have guns and 2) men are more like to commit gun violence. Considering this evidence, with current gun laws, it"s more of an unequal battle"

1)Con assumes that I'm alone, & that I'm not with a gun carrying male.

2)My individual liberties & right to protect myself are not dependent on how many other females do or do not carry a gun. Our rights are not dependent on what group we are labeled as, but as individual human beings.

The Bill of Rights is the first ten amendments to the United States Constitution. the Bill of Rights amendments add to the Constitution specific guarantees of PERSONAL freedoms and rights.

The 2nd Amendment gives me the right to protect myself with a gun.

-----

Why should I be allowed a gun to defend myself?

1)Every 98 seconds someone is sexually assaulted in America.

2)1 out of 6 women has experienced a sexual assault.

3)As of 1998, an estimated 17.7 million American women had been victims of attempted or completed rape.

4) The likelihood that a person suffers suicidal or depressive thoughts increases after sexual violence.

94% of women who are raped experience symptoms of post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) during the two weeks following the rape.

5) 30% of women report symptoms of PTSD 9 months after the rape.

33% of women who are raped contemplate suicide.

13% of women who are raped attempt suicide.

Posted by asta 3 years ago
asta
Did Pro get that from Prager U?
Posted by Truth-Over-Emotion 3 years ago
Truth-Over-Emotion
Just curious as to how?