bryant2350
Anonymous

Are Web Filters at School Too Restrictive?

bryant2350

Pro

I believe that filtering is mandatory in any school that uses laptops, Or multiple computers that students can use. Being a student I have run into filters many times while searching for information in class while very few times do I see classmates have hard times getting on a vast variety of websites that are supposedly filtered and blocked. Why isn"t there more thought from the school tech department about what is filtered and what isn"t instead of letting a computer program think on its own? I believe I saw this once, Its name was SKYNET AND LOOK WHAT HAPPENED THERE.

Con

In my experience, Web filters are not a problem at my school. The school has blocked websites such as online flash games in order to stop any students getting distracted while in school. If the school removed the web filters, The students would take advantage of that and play games during class instead of listening to the teacher. This would, In turn, Bring their overall grade down in that class.
bryant2350

Pro

First of all, I'm not disagreeing with you about them blocking games I simply am saying that by them restricting many research sites we are confined to only a few sites to get our information from which by confining us to a few sites brings the authenticity level down by a lot because that means there are few sources to get our information

Con

If a school has blocked a website, It is more than likely there is some reason behind it. Schools would not block a website for no reason. If you are 100% aware that there is no problems with the website, Then talk to the IT technician in charge of those things. They may be able to give you a reason. If not, They can unblock the website. Many newer schools have blocked a lot of websites until they can fully understand the content in them.

If a website is blocked however, It should not be difficult to simply find another website. I can understand it may be frustrating to encounter two or three blocked websites on the same topic, But you will eventually find the answers you need.
bryant2350

Pro

bryant2350 forfeited this round.
bryant2350

Pro

bryant2350 forfeited this round.
bryant2350

Pro

bryant2350 forfeited this round.

Con

Sorry, I would have posted arguments for the previous rounds, But I did not seem to get a notification telling me it is my turn to debate.

I"m not expecting anyone to vote because my opponent forfeited other rounds so this was a complete waste of time.
Posted by Anonymous 3 years ago
DeletedUser
Sorry for not posting round 3, I did not get the notification telling me it is my turn to debate.