DuncanEVP
thumbnailunavailable

Are the drills that schools do to hide students from intruders effective?

DuncanEVP has forfeited round #3.
Updated: 3 years ago Status: Debating Period

DuncanEVP

Con

I don't believe that the drills that schools do to hide the students from intruders are very effective. My reasons for that belief is that whoever the intruder may be, whether its an armed student or an armed other person, are not going to believe that the school is empty. They know that the students are hiding in the classrooms. If they happen to be a student they have the advantage of knowing how the school deals with the situation. They know that if they want to do harm to someone then they must break into a room that students are hiding in. I believe that there are better ways to prevent intruders from entering schools. I also believe that in the worst case scenario if the intruder gets in, there is a better way to deal with it rather than hide the students
thumbnailunavailable

Pro

Greetings, to both the Contender and the public that reads this debate.
My stance on the issue is that the drills that schools do in the event of a hostile intruder are effective and the most efficient way that comes to mind without sacrificing agility for complexity. As in the event of an actual intruder or inside student that had a weapon children and teenagers are less likely to follow protocol if it takes time or patience.

I am not the host of this debate so I cannot negotiate about rules and specifications, yet the Contender did not provide any, I will use the Texas Independent School Districts (here on out referred to as ISD) as the example and would prefer that this stays formal, cordial, and always on topic and with sources as reliable as possible. These are all petitions, if the Contender would prefer to change the grounds I provided he may do so.
DuncanEVP

Con

All we do is close the door and hide in a corner. It really isn't that hard to get in. especially if someone is rushed with adrenaline and they know that there are people behind the door.
thumbnailunavailable

Pro

There is really nothing else that could be done besides that, everyone hides in the classrooms, lock the door, and stand away from the entrance in silence (and sometimes cover the door window with something),but that is merely to buy time and keep the students safe until the police arrive. There could be something more drastic that could be applied like having armed policemen patrol through the halls, but that would cost the districts way more than they have to spend, not to mention what we want is to keep weapons as far away from schools as possible.
Also, what would be your proposition for a new protocol in the event of an intruder? Since you're dealing with panicking pubescent kids, you cannot evacuate through the hallways since they're not safe because of the intruder, what is there to do besides lock the door and wait for backup?