stangs14
billsands

Are we living in an eternal dream?

stangs14

Con

I will set forth an argument against the 'Dreaming Argument' as inspired from Descartes' Meditations in Philosophy

The basic argument can be placed into one sentence: if one cannot be certain that they are not dreaming, Then one cannot be certain that reality exists.

There are some undeniable truths belying this statement. The first is that: we cannot KNOW something unless we can rule out all the possibilities that aren't true. In other words, TRUE certainty (what is known) can only be absolute.
What does it mean to suggest that one is dreaming? Does this imply that someone fell asleep and is now dreaming? If so, Then how can it be that we can conclude that reality is a dream? Since, If you could wake from your dream, Then wouldn't you wake up to reality?

That cannot be what the argument's protagonists are suggesting. No, No, No. They are advancing the idea of a dream in which you CANNOT wake up. In other words, An eternal dream.
But I will show that an eternal dream is logically inconsistent with either a. ) the idea that dreams and reality are two distinct notions, And b. ) that the idea of an eternal dream is possible

I will push back on the argument by first poking at the idea of dreaming. Suppose, That you are dreaming about typing a response to my argument. Everything around you is simply a figment of your imagination. Further suppose that such a dream is one in which you cannot awake.

I ask. . . Is it possible for you to discern the difference between reality and dreams?

This brings me to my ultimate point. How can one contrast dreams with reality if they are simply living in a dream that IS their reality? The answer to this question is that they can't. Thus, It would seem to follow that if you cannot discern reality and dreams because you are living IN a dream, Then your reality is what's in your dream. One could take this a step further to suggest that, If there exists a reality that is an eternal dream, Then the very notion of a dream doesn"t exist. Things simply are.
I will go another route and refute the very notion of a dream that which you cannot wake up.

Let's look at B: If we define dream by the dictionary definition: a series of thoughts, Images, And sensations occurring in a person's mind during sleep - then there are some clear issues with the idea of an eternal dream. Suppose that John is currently living in an eternal dream. Further suppose that John's life is finite in the conventional sense - humans live and die in a finite period. We will define P0 as the time before John came into existence, P1 as the time John comes into existence, P2 as the time John lives in his eternal dream, And P3 as the time John dies.

If John is living in an eternal dream, That would imply that between P0 and P1, John came into existence and entered his dream. But how do we reconcile an eternal dreamworld if John must first fall asleep in order to fall into his dream?

Moreover, If John is to come into existence, Fall asleep, And enter this dreamlike reality, Then we can't say that there exists an eternal dreamworld.
billsands

Pro

Right now i have cellulitis i have this gaping oozing puss filled soar on my leg and i am in agony, Pain is the only thing that is real if i were dreaming i would not feel pain, Pain is real this unfortunetely is not a dream
stangs14

Con

stangs14 forfeited this round.
billsands

Pro

hang overs are real too
stangs14

Con

stangs14 forfeited this round.
billsands

Pro

did you fall asleep. . Hello?
Posted by canis 3 years ago
canis
"Are we living in an eternal dream? "
No. But we are dreaming: just got bit by my "wild" cat. . Never thought it could happen. Well now that dream has gone. . Eternal. . ? . . Well. . Ask me in 14 days?
Posted by DeletedUser 3 years ago
DeletedUser
Pinch yourself