JaredFogle
Apophis66

Atheists

JaredFogle

Con

Atheists,
Apophis66

Pro

Atheists Rock! They are just normal people like you except you won't find them in a church.
JaredFogle

Con

Atheists,...don't
Apophis66

Pro

They definitely do! There are a lot of atheists and non-religious in Europe, China and Japan but they are amazing places. I live in Portland Oregon and this city is super secular but we are famous for being one of the friendliest cities in the country.
JaredFogle

Con

There are many atheists who
Apophis66

Pro

Who rock. Agreed.
Posted by judaism 3 years ago
judaism
Just see Aristotle, Kant, Spinoza. You don't need Torah to tell you its wrong.
Posted by Apophis66 3 years ago
Apophis66
Why is lust wrong?
Posted by judaism 3 years ago
judaism
Apophis66,

To answer your last question, Gan Eden must be a great place, I'm sure entertainment is allowed. As far as sex is concerned, however, the sages are silent. Sin, as in lust, is not something that is entirely free of evil. Funny enough, you may now think that this is only the person of faith talking, after all only some god could have called lust wrong. But wait, I must correct you on that because almost all the great philosophers, from Plato to Kant - most of them, non believers, would agree with me here. So if they say it's wrong, and also G-d, then surely lust is wrong after all. I'm I making sense here?

After all, if you were female - and I'm using the example only because men cheat more - how would you feel if your partner suddenly left you for another woman? Especially if you had kids together?

What about sex in general? Well, I'm not sure if procreation happens. I cannot talk with authority on this matter.

I hope I have answered all your doubts in a humanly fashion. I'm glad you're asking.

Shalom (peace).
Posted by judaism 3 years ago
judaism
Apophis66, if I may quote you, I do so now:

"For me personally, death is just so far away that I just don't spend much time thinking about it. I guess when I am old it will become a bigger deal but by then I will already have lived a long life and will be ready to go."

These are words of the youth. . . life is long and full of bumps on the road. How do you know you'll feel the same when the stop sign approaches ahead?

As far as eternal life is concerned, imagine you're surrounded with family and friends. . . if you had the choice, wouldn't you want to be forever with them? You see, there is no fear or pain in the next place, only bliss. It is a contradiction to say that one fears the "end of their existence," but then rather not see it go on and on. After all, perhaps we won't notice it?

Yes, it is true that my faith has little to say on Gan Eden, and that's because our job here is to repair the world (tikkun olam). How do I know I won't be punished by HaShem? Well, if the records are true, then I know the answer. As long as I lead a good life, that's all that matters. Who is G-d to punish me? As Jews, we're taught to be like Abraham our father, stand up to G-d for what's right. That's the beauty of Judaism.

How do I know He's the true G-d? Well, what other nation, from the beginning of man down to the present day, has guessed perfectly that the universe is (a) 15 billion years old, that (b) there are hundreds of stars in the Pleiades cluster, and (c) that there are 10^18 stars in the universe. All of these claims are close to modern predictions and estimates. It's just too close to be coincidental, and no, it wasn't aliens because that myth has been thoroughly debunked long ago. So, then what? The sages of the Talmud surely didn't have a telescope, if that's so, why are we still giving credit to Gellieo? The answer must come from G-d, He is the Creator of the universe, surely He would know its secrets.
Posted by Apophis66 3 years ago
Apophis66
For me personally, death is just so far away that I just don't spend much time thinking about it. I guess when I am old it will become a bigger deal but by then I will already have lived a long life and will be ready to go.

I think that believers and atheists fear different things from death. Atheists fear the end of their existence. But believers think that death isn't the end of everything and your existence just keeps going and going without your choice or consent to end it. There is a certain comfort in the finality of death and the knowledge that no pain or fear will exist afterwards.

As a believer you face an after-life that you know very little about. Are you sure that God is going to reward or punish you? Can you know the mind of God? What about your friends and family? How do you know you picked the right God? It isn't like your religion has much more evidence than any other. Judaism doesn't talk much about the after-life so who knows what you will face.

Also, if the afterlife is just a place where you are holy and praise God like a giant eternal church service then thats going to suck and i'd sure hope there is some sex, alcohol, food, movies, and other fun things in heaven.
Posted by judaism 3 years ago
judaism
I see your point, but still, the atheist must face death alone. They will then say that how can we be sure of an afterlife and reincarnation (really, it's a topic in Judaism), but we of faith will ask them how they're so sure there isn't.
Posted by Apophis66 3 years ago
Apophis66
I think the warmth of your life will depend on your circumstances. Religious belief will only have a minor impact on that. If you are a homeless religious guy life is going to suck but its you are a wealthy atheist with many loved ones and friends you are going to have a warm happy life.
Posted by judaism 3 years ago
judaism
I disagree, the atheist lives in a cold, senseless universe. You can't say that "rocks." Contrast to that, the person of faith lives in a place of warmth and comfort. You rocks now?

For the atheist, I'll just say that the grass isn't greener where you're at, it's black.
Posted by toriel 3 years ago
toriel
I Agree