Attention: Debate.org is closing and the website will be shut down on June 5, 2022. New Topics can no longer be posted and Sign Up has been disabled. Existing Topics will still function as usual until the website is taken offline. Members can download their content by using the Download Data button in My Account.
issy_huddleston001
yuhancui0726

Ballet is a sport

yuhancui0726
Started: 3/9/2019 Category: Sports

issy_huddleston001

Pro

Ballet requires a large amount of physical and mental strength. Girls stand on the top of their toes for hours and hours. Dancing, Especially ballet, Should be considered a sport.
yuhancui0726

Con

I believe that your position is utterly wrong. Ballet is done for beauty. It is not done for a score or a win. Therefore it is an art.
Posted by mikaloviche 3 years ago
mikaloviche
Ballet is beautiful. I do like like the stories that they tell I think more modern dance is better. Ballet per se is an aesthetic art form it is not considered a sport. However the gov't puts arts under entertainment funding and lumps it all together with dance ballet etc. . . Art galleries. Sport is played by teams and there are winners and losers. Highly competative. Ballet is not. I love ballet more than sport. I do not enjoy as i said the scenarious as much. Male body being extended and peforming is athletic and pyshical but it is not by definition a sport as such. Swans does not equal netball. Gentle beautiful male bodies being celebrated with musculature and in tights equals rough man handling tackling violent dangerous attacks and danger. See my pics mikaloviche google images
Posted by K_Michael_Tolman 3 years ago
K_Michael_Tolman
70% of debates I see don't get voted on.
Posted by Kvng_8 3 years ago
Kvng_8
@K_Michael_Tolman

If you accept the debate and put your comment in R1 you could win the debate
Posted by K_Michael_Tolman 3 years ago
K_Michael_Tolman
Sport definition: "Any activity that uses physical exertion or skills competitively under a set of rules that is not based on aesthetics. "
I understand that ballet is competitive, But it IS based on aesthetics. You are judged based on how nice it looks.
Football, By comparison, Isn't based on aesthetics. No one receives or loses points for tripping, Or how elegant their kicks are. It's results oriented.
Vote Placed by omar2345 3 years ago
omar2345
issy_huddleston001yuhancui0726Tied
Reasons for voting decision: I think Con had the better case. Ballet is more of an art form than it is a sport because there are no winners instead people who put on a performance. I don't think Pro gave enough of an argument to say it was a sport.